Will clean eating improve your health?

Options
senecarr
senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
Actually, there's a very real chance it can make your health worse:
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2015/08/why-clean-eating-is-worse-than-just-a-silly-fad/

While it often starts with a good sentiment - the desire to improve one's health - clean eating diets and gurus are filled with unsound, and sometimes even unsafe advice on health. Many types of clean eating advice go against conventional nutritional science and knowledge.

So what is a person to do? Well beyond eating a balanced diet, if you are overweight and concerned about your health, know that just losing weight by itself has a remarkable capacity to improve many health conditions. In fact, I think that is part of why - besides the instant self diagnosis problem of the internet age the article hints - we see so many people worried about their health: a reflection of the growing increase in overweight and obesity that some dub epidemic.

And how does one lose weight? Many people will claim many things, but there is only one way to permanently lose weight (many things can temporarily cause water weight loss, this is not permanent weight lose). The one way to permanently lose weight is use more calories than you digest, forcing your body to use its reserves for energy. There are many ways to accomplish that part - I in particular, like many on MFP, count and track my calories and compare it to estimates of how much energy output I'm doing, and keep the calories below the output.

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Clean eatting can mean alot of things. People can use anything to cover a eatting disorder. On fitness pal I occasionally see people bragging about being way under thier calorie goal day after day. Is that healthy? No. I personally believe that a diet of mainly organically grown food is one of the healthiest ways to go. And I am not talking about organic pizza and Oreos lol. There is a happy medium to everything. If you are so obsessed about a certain diet that you wont enjoy dinner out with friends then its no worth it. Eat to live not live to eat.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lol.. That is all

/thread
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Not as much science-based evidence as I'd hoped for, but good job exposing some of the charlatans who peddle their wares while hiding behind pseudoscience and fraud, and the underlying eating disorders in some.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Reading that article makes me glad I'm not young and dumb any more. ;)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Nonsense! You can lose weight, but if it's mostly muscle, your health will suffer. Weight loss is irrelevant, what matters is fat loss!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Yup, companies are trying to get rich on this new fad.
    I haven't seen the gluten free oreos yet. HA!