Anxiety causing blood pressure spikes anyone?

Options
I've been dealing with non stop anxiety this constant anxious feeling excessive worrying about my heart racing etc. it's literally been a week it's just constant! when I go to the doctors it's worse so bad that yesterday my bp was at 135 today it was at 150 ! I literally had a break down . I was told going to the gym helps a lot but I can't be prescribed anything due to my pregnancy being so early on .

My bp has always been perfect highest ever was 120 normal was 110-114 . Even last month so this is pretty sudden both times I had anxiety pretty bad .

Has anyone else experienced a spike due to anxiety ?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure goes up and down all day. There are a variety of calming exercises you can try.

Cuddle a pet.

Take a deep breath.

Massage.

Bubble bath.

Smile.

Stop tracking your blood pressure.

• jennifer8989
    jennifer8989 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you ❤️
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    wow....you're sooooo cute B)
  • mobsue
    mobsue Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suffer with anxiety too. It took me a while to develop coping strategies. They don't always work for me but I keep practising.
    One is to think about your surroundings. What can you hear? What smells are around you? Sights? Don't concentrate on your heart beat but try to focus on everything else. Touches? It takes about 10 minutes but can help.
    Good luck with controlling the anxiety.
  • drew87d
    drew87d Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey Jen, I just wanted to give you some insight on a few things as a paramedic and new father. My wife and I recently had a child and she had the same issue with her BP during pregnancy. She was always around 110sys. and during pregnancy she was usually 120sys. A slight increase in BP durIng pregnancy is normal due to the extra volume of blood in your body. If you find yourself upset or anxious avoid taking your blood pressure as your BP tends to elevate when you are in that state. Eat healthy, stay active (walking is great) and avoid foods high in sodium.
    Good luck with everything! :)
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Thank you so much this made me feel so much better .❤️
  • Angel0298
    Angel0298 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Is this your first baby? Is it a boy or girl or too early to know? My son's getting married this year so I'm looking forward to grandkids
  • Angel0298
    Angel0298 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That's strange, the rest of my post disappeared. Drew is right, it's not uncommon to have fluctuations in your bp while you're pregnant. Try to do things to relax like taking walks, going out with the girls, listen to relaxing music and practice deep breathing. You can reduce your anxiety by laying down, closing your eyes and slowing your breathing. You'll be alright.
  • Genas21
    Genas21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi girl! I've struggled with anxiety for about 8 years now. I know exactly how you feel when you get an anxiety attack. I went to therapists, considered taking medications to help me deal on daily routines, tried relaxing techniques but in all honesty NOTHING worked. I got to the point were I was scared of anything triggering a panic attack. I was fed up of skipping college, work and missing out on life. What helped me the most was yoga and meditation. I know it sounds silly but it helped me relax and open up my mind. All that I was scared of started to become trivial. I struggle with anxiety still but I can control it instead of it controlling me. It's great that you're reaching out!! I wish you the best!
  • jennifer8989
    Options
    Thank you ! This is my second my first is 6 years old we figured it was time to give him a sibling we don't know what we're having yet. But we are all excited !:)
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My doctor told me to start taking a B-complex vitamin. I did not notice an immediate change, but eventually I noticed my heart not racing anymore. If I forget to take the b complex for a couple of days my heart starts racing again. I take the Sundown B-Complex 100%daily value, but I am not pregnant. I take this in addition to my multi-vitamin. Ask your doctor if taking a B-Complex vitamin would be okay. As for the high BP, lying down when it gets too high helps within 30 minutes, but to help with it overall exercise and lower sodium foods. When my BP was high, walking daily for 30 to 45 minutes is what helped me.