Need food knowledge

Options
I'm looking for food smarts... Folks that are willing to share their food diaries and successes coupled with their knowledge about nutritional value when it comes to food!

I, like many, have been up and down this road many times and am still trying to figure out the google map on this one. There is a ton of information that is easily accessible and digestible around exercise, but when it comes to food, it's just so darn difficult. One day you hear that protein is key, next you hear to much protein is bad. Same goes for carbs...

Any nutritional council out there that can set forth the right navigation for a long and healthy life!? What's the right calorie intake for a lightly active 35 yr old female? What's key takeaways when it comes to food? What really is moderation??

MFP is great for tracking but not so helpful with guidance on good healthy eating habits...

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Tizzy, try starting here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest

For me, I used the pre-set mfp macro settings, and just always tried to hit my protein macros. I didn't track sugars separately, instead I tracked fibre.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Bodyrecomposition.com is one of my most trusted sites when looking for solid information based on science rather than woo (no affiliation, just a fan). Lyle McDonald has articles and research review on many topics related to nutrition, fat loss, training, etc. - click on the "Articles" link at the top of the page and go to town, there's months worth of reading and learning there. Click on "Articles", then "Nutrition" and try the "Nutrition Fundamentals" for starters.

Lyle does sell his books on his website, but there are no pop-ups or requirements to give up your e-mail address or anything else - the articles are all free.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "Moderation" - for me, it means eating close to how Harvard wants me to 80% of the time, and having McD's or beer or whatever else 20% of the time. (I do not avoid cheese, bacon, or cold cuts, though. But I try to minimize those. I also have a good amount of lower-fat dairy, like 0% greek yogurt or 1% cottage cheese, because ^ protein & tasty. I'd get more fat in there but I like to have a lot of food across my day.)

I tend to go down a slippery slope if I have that 20% in the same couple of days, so I try to spread it around. Like if I have McD's 2-3 days in a row, I'm going to want more of it. That's just me, though.

** And, I also would have a hard time if I had to fit like *half* a quarter cheese pounder into my day. That would just be annoying. So if I'm going to have a quarter cheese, I'm just going to have it. That usually means I go over my calories on that day, because other meals need some of those cals (I get the fries, too). I am ok with doing that, though. I don't eat less at other meals or try to cut on other days, because I will fail at that. I just go back to that Harvard-style plate for the next meal.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Limit bacon cheese and butter???? Uhhhh no... Just no..nope nope nope... Sorry..

Op.. Trial and error. Eat healthy food you like and don't overdo it. Read the labels. They will tell you what a portion is (be ready to be shocked on some things...I was) weight your food (grams is most accurate) and find your sweet spot for calories.
    Google scooby's calculator, fill in the blanks and It'll give you a pretty accurate number.

Really it's all invividual. There are 3 of us doing this in my house.I feel better/fuller with high protein, another its carbs and I suspect the third likes his fats, but he's not convinced yet. It took me a long time to figure out what works for me. Give yourself time and be patient. I also significantly reduced my trigger foods from my diet.. You know, those foods that you simply can't stop at one (or 15) serving..

Here's what it boils down to:
    Weight loss happens when we consume less calories then we burn off. You want to eat enough to be happy but not so much as to staunch losing. Its a balancing act. And as others have said, sometimes you just need that brownie.

On another note...
    I don't like the plate because it teaching nothing of heathy portions or healthy choices. Potatoes are great.. But then we mash them with sour cream and cheese and milk and garlic and so on, still great but many many more calories, more then you think. Why limit butter? Butter is a healthy fat a reasonable amount is good for you. Oil is good for you, but at 120 calories a tablespoon its not super condusive for calories. I dont like that it says to leave it on your table..Most people use more then a tablespoon on their salads. If you're watching calories have a tbsp at the ready.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2015
    Options

Limit bacon cheese and butter???? Uhhhh no... Just no..nope nope nope... Sorry..

Op.. Trial and error. Eat healthy food you like and don't overdo it. Read the labels. They will tell you what a portion is (be ready to be shocked on some things...I was) weight your food (grams is most accurate) and find your sweet spot for calories.
    Google scooby's calculator, fill in the blanks and It'll give you a pretty accurate number.

Really it's all invividual. There are 3 of us doing this in my house.I feel better/fuller with high protein, another its carbs and I suspect the third likes his fats, but he's not convinced yet. It took me a long time to figure out what works for me. Give yourself time and be patient. I also significantly reduced my trigger foods from my diet.. You know, those foods that you simply can't stop at one (or 15) serving..

Weight loss happens when we consume less calories then we burn off. You want to eat enough to be happy but not so much as to staunch losing. Its a balancing act. And as others have said, sometimes you just need that brownie.

On another note...
    I don't like the plate because it teaching nothing of heathy portions or healthy choices. Potatoes are great.. But then we mash them with sour cream and cheese and milk and garlic and so on, still great but many many more calories, more then you think. Why limit butter? Butter is a healthy fat a reasonable amount is good for you.

- The suggested portions go the way the plate is divided up, by colour. They're not exact. Just split up your plate that way, is the idea. Visual estimates often make things easier for people.
    - I agree with you, I like bacon and cheese and butter, and I have that. But processed / cured meat like bacon, deli meats, cold cuts, etc. has been associated with ^ risk of diabetes and heart disease.
    - Any kind of fat is a lot of calories, and if you have to make a choice, which you do, if you're trying to limit calories, which this is also doing, it's better - healthwise, for the heart etc - to have fats with Omega 3s from nuts, olive oil, etc. than it is to get them from butter.
    - Potatoes - I think that might be from the Nurses' Health Study, where potatoes were associated with weight gain etc. But I suspect it's **also** to get people to have OTHER kinds of veg than potatoes. Potatoes are **everywhere**. People totally ignore cabbage.
  • tomatoey
    Options

How does this help OP decide what's healthy and nutritious? What is she looking for in the labels? She asked about nutrition, not just weight loss.
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add or message me for any tips :)
  • tomatoey
    Options
    More thoughts that might help. I don't have sources to hand, this is just to start you off in your reading or whatever.
    - If you intend to be pregnant, you'll want folic acid (B9) to prevent neural tube defects in the fetus. B vitamins in general help with nervous system function & production of red blood cells.
    - Lots of women are low in iron, good to focus on that (MEAT)
    - Some women start to have funky thyroids in their thirties . Some of the foods that are great for us in other ways (like broccoli) are goitrogenic. This can be mitigated by cooking those foods vs. eating them raw
    - Bones and muscle health - very important! Osteoporosis is a risk; you want to keep bone and muscle and connective tissue happy. Try to meet the RDA for calcium, Vitamin D3 (ideally alongside magnesium & Vit K), Vit C - important in collagen synthesis, Vit A, protein (all the amino acids), zinc. **Calcium supplements are controversial, like most supplements; there have been some wacky effects seen (like calcification happening in arteries!). Best to get it from food if possible. (this isn't always easy). Vit A can be toxic in huge amounts, also good to get it from food. Vit D deficiency is common in the northern hemisphere; this is a good thing to supplement (D3 sublingual drops are most easily metabolized - D2 not so much). It's important to do some kind of strength training to keep bones and muscles in good shape down the line, or at least minimize bone loss.
    - Nice hair and nails - need *balanced* protein, selenium, iron, B12; Omega 3 fatty acids, vit A, zinc

Most of that is hit by that Harvard plate. If you shoot for the "rainbow" in your veg and fruit, you should hit most things (e.g. A & C with brightly coloured fruit & veg). By mixing up your protein sources through the week, you'll get most of what you need while minimizing exposure to the risky stuff. Get some fish in, but not too much (mercury). (If you can't bear fish, do the fish oil capsules for those Omega 3s - look for ones that are also *low* in Omega 6, risky for heart disease). Some beef is great (iron etc.) but too much isn't - mix it up with pork, chicken, shellfish, lamb if you like it, duck, eggs, high-protein dairy (cottage cheese, yogurt). Grains, seeds, and nuts are good sources of all kinds of stuff.

If you're a smoker or ex-smoker: synthetic Vitamin A has been linked with increased risk of lung cancer; best to get it from food. You might not process Vitamin C as well, so boosting that where possible is a good idea.

** This is based on basically consensus nutritional guidance I've read here and there. I'm no expert.
  • tizzy22
    tizzy22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is more than helpful! I'll start reading up and may have some follow up questions :) I'll be in touch :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    OK...

I am trying not to be confusing...

How does this help OP decide what's healthy and nutritious? What is she looking for in the labels? She asked about nutrition, not just weight loss.

Um.. By reading labels one learns what is in foods. Once you know what is in it you can make an informed decision on the nutrious value of the food. Measuring out one portion makes you aware of how much you are eating. These things will put you in control. Using MFP will help you see how much of each nutrient you are consuming and you'll see if you are lacking in some areas or not. It doesn't matter if you're trying to lose, maintain or gain. This approach is the only way it works. You have to know what and how much you're eating in order to reach any health related goal. If you don't eat foods you like, you won't succeed. Mental health is just as important. Depriving yourself of things you like (as many diets suggest) will lead to overeating those foods later.

What is considered healthy food is subjective. Just read other thread for those arguements. I personally avoid food with added sugar, premade foods, those that are made in a lab and those with fake sugar. My personal views. The only way to decide what is right for you is to do the research and see how your body reacts to foods.

I take a multi vitamin because its really hard to meet all the vitamin requirments every day. And its easier. I also take fish oil because it is supposed to improve mental health. I am deficient in vitamin D so I take a supplement for that too. A multi vitamin is a bit harder to absorb, but it should be sufficient to meet those needs. My personal opinion is to avoid the ones with sugar or flavor added, but a lot of people use those too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

On another note...
    I don't like the plate because it teaching nothing of heathy portions or healthy choices. Potatoes are great.. But then we mash them with sour cream and cheese and milk and garlic and so on, still great but many many more calories, more then you think. Why limit butter? Butter is a healthy fat a reasonable amount is good for you. Oil is good for you, but at 120 calories a tablespoon its not super condusive for calories. I dont like that it says to leave it on your table..Most people use more then a tablespoon on their salads. If you're watching calories have a tbsp at the ready.

I think you're misinterpreting the Harvard chart's advice to use healthy oils "at the table." It means instead of spreading butter on your bread and dropping a huge knob of butter on your veggies, dip the bread in olive oil and drizzle a little olive oil on your veggies, if you want. Just like the chart's advice to use healthy oils in cooking doesn't mean "add oil to everything you cook whether needed or not" -- it means when you are cooking things that require fat, use a "healthy oil" instead of something with trans fat or a lot of saturated fat.

That said, I agree with you about potatoes, and I use butter as well as olive oil and canola oil, depending on context. I don't use a full tablespoon of oil in a single serving of food, or even to cook a single serving of food, and probably not even to dress a single serving of salad, unless it's a huge dinner salad, and probably not even then. I like a higher proportion of vinegar to olive oil in my salad dressing.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    OK...

I am trying not to be confusing...

Um.. By reading labels one learns what is in foods. Once you know what is in it you can make an informed decision on the nutrious value of the food. Measuring out one portion makes you aware of how much you are eating. These things will put you in control. Using MFP will help you see how much of each nutrient you are consuming and you'll see if you are lacking in some areas or not. It doesn't matter if you're trying to lose, maintain or gain. This approach is the only way it works. You have to know what and how much you're eating in order to reach any health related goal. If you don't eat foods you like, you won't succeed. Mental health is just as important. Depriving yourself of things you like (as many diets suggest) will lead to overeating those foods later.

What is considered healthy food is subjective. Just read other thread for those arguements. I personally avoid food with added sugar, premade foods, those that are made in a lab and those with fake sugar. My personal views. The only way to decide what is right for you is to do the research and see how your body reacts to foods.

I take a multi vitamin because its really hard to meet all the vitamin requirments every day. And its easier. I also take fish oil because it is supposed to improve mental health. I am deficient in vitamin D so I take a supplement for that too. A multi vitamin is a bit harder to absorb, but it should be sufficient to meet those needs. My personal opinion is to avoid the ones with sugar or flavor added, but a lot of people use those too.

What people *think* is healthy might be subjective, but it's pretty clear that some things are associated with lower risks than others, and that deficiencies exist and have real health effects, so it's not really true that "healthy food" is whatever you think it is.

When you're reading the labels, you still have to have an idea of what you're looking for, some idea of what is nutritious and what isn't. You're now saying it's the RDA, ok, so it's the RDA. Still, you have to consider the balance of food over a day, not just in a single item.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Right... Which is why you track it on here. It will tell you if you're hitting your personal goals each day or if you need to adjust. I don't really see what the argument is here.

What people *think* is healthy might be subjective, but it's pretty clear that some things are associated with lower risks than others, and that deficiencies exist and have real health effects, so it's not really true that "healthy food" is whatever you think it is.

I agree with this. There's a lot of food I wouldn't consider healthy. I also believe that food makes us sick and food cures us. Depending what you eat. But thats not a popular belief here, and I don't want the OP thread to disingerate over it.

That being said. Deficiencies in vitamins and nutrients has little to do with a specific food being healthy or not and everything to do with your overall diet being healthy and balanced. The only way to do that is to read labels, log, and adjust as you go. Baby steps lead to big changes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

On another note...
    I don't like the plate because it teaching nothing of heathy portions or healthy choices. Potatoes are great.. But then we mash them with sour cream and cheese and milk and garlic and so on, still great but many many more calories, more then you think. Why limit butter? Butter is a healthy fat a reasonable amount is good for you.

- The suggested portions go the way the plate is divided up, by colour. They're not exact. Just split up your plate that way, is the idea. Visual estimates often make things easier for people.
    - I agree with you, I like bacon and cheese and butter, and I have that. But processed / cured meat like bacon, deli meats, cold cuts, etc. has been associated with ^ risk of diabetes and heart disease.

I like them too (although I think bacon is kind of overrated), but the evidence is still that sat fat should be limited, and that's what it's reflecting. For me moderation means that I don't go overboard on these foods, but certainly don't cut them out.
    - Any kind of fat is a lot of calories, and if you have to make a choice, which you do, if you're trying to limit calories, which this is also doing, it's better - healthwise, for the heart etc - to have fats with Omega 3s from nuts, olive oil, etc. than it is to get them from butter.
    - Potatoes - I think that might be from the Nurses' Health Study, where potatoes were associated with weight gain etc. But I suspect it's **also** to get people to have OTHER kinds of veg than potatoes. Potatoes are **everywhere**. People totally ignore cabbage.

I think it's because a lot of people think potatoes "count" as a vegetable and it's really not what is meant by "vegetable" in these kinds of recommendations -- non starchy veg. Potatoes are, IMO, great -- whole food, adds micros of various sorts, I find them quite filling and enjoy them roasted with just a bit of olive oil and salt/pepper, so also pretty low cal, but they aren't comparable to the usual non starchy veg in a lot of ways. They are part of the grains/starches course (like corn, also). That's the only point that's being made, I think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Right... Which is why you track it on here. It will tell you if you're hitting your personal goals each day or if you need to adjust. I don't really see what the argument is here.

I'm a huge fan of people learning to figure it out for themselves, but figuring out what one's personal goals should be seems not to be that intuitive for some people, and logging on MFP isn't really a particularly simple way to watch micros, especially since what is tracked is limited and you can only easily see a couple of choices (and depending on what you eat lots of things may be left out). If someone wants to track micros I'd recommend a site like cronometer and also that they are very careful to use the USDA entries, which won't work if someone gets lots of packaged foods (the ones with labels) or goes to restaurants, of course.

So I think it can be helpful to start with some basic nutrition goals and simplifications, especially if someone is feeling overwhelmed. Obviously, more knowledge and fitting the goals to your own preferences will be ideal.

I like the Harvard guide pretty well, or just basic advice like get adequate protein, an appropriate number of calories, and a wide variety of vegetables. For me the old idea of a balanced meal as involving a good many veg, a source of protein, and a starch, with some fat as complement works well and is consistent with what I find satiating, but people will want to figure out what works best for them.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

On another note...

I like them too (although I think bacon is kind of overrated), but the evidence is still that sat fat should be limited, and that's what it's reflecting. For me moderation means that I don't go overboard on these foods, but certainly don't cut them out.

I think it's because a lot of people think potatoes "count" as a vegetable and it's really not what is meant by "vegetable" in these kinds of recommendations -- non starchy veg. Potatoes are, IMO, great -- whole food, adds micros of various sorts, I find them quite filling and enjoy them roasted with just a bit of olive oil and salt/pepper, so also pretty low cal, but they aren't comparable to the usual non starchy veg in a lot of ways. They are part of the grains/starches course (like corn, also). That's the only point that's being made, I think.

That's what I was trying to get at, thanks for making it all explicit :)