Slimming World 2016

Options
Hi,
I was a slimming world member but due to health, i stopped meaning i gained weight again. On the Jan 1st I'm starting again but doing it from home and of course MFP. Would like to meet new people for motivation and meal ideas and just a general MFP friend

Replies

• candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a person. I lost 54 pounds.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of Slimming World.

But I'm a big fan of MFP. I've lost 27 kg calorie-counting with MFP since April and am almost at my goal weight. I've learned great habits I can stick with for life.

What can Slimming World do for me that MFP can't?
  • iona_ellen
    iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I haven't heard of Slimming World.

But I'm a big fan of MFP. I've lost 27 kg calorie-counting with MFP since April and am almost at my goal weight. I've learned great habits I can stick with for life.

What can Slimming World do for me that MFP can't?
    Well done for lose
  • iona_ellen
    iona_ellen Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Its based on free food (fruits, veg, meats etc), Healthy A & B (calciums and wholeweats, cereals etc) and syns (calories in proportion)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Uhhh....there's no such thing as "free food".
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed the "log every bite" approach that comes with MFP. Meaning, if I only have a bunch of fruit and veg I still have to log it... As much as I wish fruit didn't make me gain weight, it probably could if I ate too much of it. :|
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Sadly the free food without advice on portion control means it stops working if you carry on eating to excess.....very easily done when you can eat all the fruit and fat free stuff you want.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

This is exactly the reason why I don't do Slimming World or Weight Watchers, I don't get the whole free foods thing!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

This is exactly the reason why I don't do Slimming World or Weight Watchers, I don't get the whole free foods thing!!

Same here, I've had a lot of people talk to me about SW and the free food aspect, but with my appetite I know I'll just probably overeat on those, this is why I prefer MFP. I just find it easier to have a calorie/macro target and more freedom with different foods. Everything in moderation :)

However, I do realise that a lot of the foods people typically overeat on, are classed as "syns" as thus they are restricted to only a certain amount a day. Plus portion control and stopping when you are full is encouraged in both WW and SW. So, while not strict, it's not like they're recommending eating every "free" food in sight all day long.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    To be fair to slimming world, they don't really recommend eating 'free' food until you're stuffed. They do stress the point of eating enough to satisfy your appetite, not just for the sake of it because it's free.

I have a lot of respect for the idea behind slimming world, because it does
    encourage healthy eating. I just prefer calories because some days I want to eat processed stuff and it doesn't always allow for that. Weight watchers is going the same way, too.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Not in the group in was in....they advocated eating all the free food you wanted.
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Isn't it common sense that free food is obviously free because its good for you, example - fruits, veg and lean meats... eating any type of food past the point of when your full is pointless, whether its 100 apples or 100 chocolate bars, I think its just common sense tbh.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Slimdownmb wrote: »
    Isn't it common sense that free food is obviously free because its good for you, example - fruits, veg and lean meats... eating any type of food past the point of when your full is pointless, whether its 100 apples or 100 chocolate bars, I think its just common sense tbh.

Unfortunately not everyone has common sense.

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing both? (Just curious.) I have a friend who lost a whole load of weight with SW in 2015. She looks amazing. It's not for me though.

1. I'm resistant to someone telling me what to do and prefer to do my own research and meal planning.
    2. I cannot be arsed with going to a weekly meeting in a random community hall (I know you can do it online but in that case you might as well just do MFP)
    3. I don't want to share my weightloss journey with people who live in the same postcode as me, I'd much rather do it on the sly!
    4. I'm a cheapskate and no way am I paying money to some organisation to tell me what food I should eat when I can't find the money to join the gym
    5. Another friend dips in and out of SW and when she cooked me a SW dinner there was no butter on my potatoes. This made me sad. Butter is delicious. I know it's not just about that but it put me right off.
    6. MFP does the job for me, I don't know what else SW could bring to the table
    7. The syn word makes me cross. I know it's spelt differently but I'm not down with any approach that considers certain foods to be sinful. By all means, educate yourself about what your body needs and where you should be getting the good stuff from but that sort of language riles me. Semantics I know.

Sorry - don't want to attack you - it works for some people. Just think maybe you could save your pennies and just track with MFP and use the message boards for support and advice. Use that fiver a week you save for a dance class, gym session or save it up for a special outfit. In only 6 months you'd have £130 so you could have a weekend break!

Happy to be a MFP friend.
  • BarbBBQ
    BarbBBQ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just joined...feel free to add me as a friend :)
  • ARuby75
    ARuby75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Like you I stopped doing slimming world and have since gained much of what I lost back, I've decided to go it alone this time rather than join my old group again but will be using my SW recipes etc as they're tasty and easy to make plus my family will eat them too. Feel free to add me x
  • Burtie_Burt
    Burtie_Burt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I rejoined last week too. I need the discipline of a stranger weighing me! Plus, I have a colleague from work who comes with me - we are motivating each other. I am also tracking on MFP though as I can't be trusted with the "eat until comfortably full" thing. If I knew how to do that, I wouldn't be overweight in the first place!
  • tealskater
    tealskater Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi - I joined Slimming World last night. My friend had joined the previous week, and lost over 7lbs!! The recipes on their site look great, and I have tried a couple so far. I am a bit concerned about the free food, but I will just have to see how I go with it. I feel I need the discipline at the moment of being more accountable face-to-face.

Anyone can feel free to add me!