Hip Thrusts

Options
2»

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I just do them. A few weeks ago I was doing them with an unpadded bar, and in between sets this guy came over and said "We're getting a pad for the bar within the next week or so.' I said thanks. He left, and then walked back over 30 seconds later and said "I'm on the gym planning committee...I'm not just some weird guy watching you."
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    Okay Ladies,

How are you all able to do these in a crowded gym with a straight face?? I finished the book Strong Curves and now I'm ready to take what I've learned to the gym... I have had a trainer check my form and provide me with tips for squats, lunges etc... Anyway I've reviewed weeks 1-4 and the only move that I'm feeling a bit tentative about performing is the hip thrust! Reassure me ladies. Lol

I go to a Golds gym so maybe that is the difference but I see men and women doing weighty hip thrusts and no body bats an eye. Thrust away!!!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I catch someone looking at me whilst doing them, but I just return eye contact until they realise they're being obvious and I can see them. Doesn't bother me - 90% of the time I think it's just human curiosity (movement catches the eye, and not a lot of people seem to perform that exercise in my gym - I've only ever seen one other girl and one bloke doing it).

To be honest my exercise-related embarrassment threshold is a lot higher since I completely ripped my running tights across the butt whilst I was at the gym about two years ago, so hip thrusts etc hold no fear any more.
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I'm posting the link correctly, but this video is hilarious for anyone who works out at a gym ;-)

http://greatist.com/move/hilarious-gym-parody-video
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hopefully I'm posting the link correctly, but this video is hilarious for anyone who works out at a gym ;-)

http://greatist.com/move/hilarious-gym-parody-video

That was delightful. Thank you!!! LOL
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    Sometimes I catch someone looking at me whilst doing them, but I just return eye contact until they realise they're being obvious and I can see them. Doesn't bother me - 90% of the time I think it's just human curiosity (movement catches the eye, and not a lot of people seem to perform that exercise in my gym - I've only ever seen one other girl and one bloke doing it).

To be honest my exercise-related embarrassment threshold is a lot higher since I completely ripped my running tights across the butt whilst I was at the gym about two years ago, so hip thrusts etc hold no fear any more.

Love it! Yeah, after you do some incredibly embarrassing things at the gym (like farting in yoga) it becomes not a big deal and you just do your thing. I don't generally notice stares anymore doing hip thrusts or abductors or some other awkward looking exercise. Much like everything else, it comes with time and experience.

P.S. there's always that one creeper that is always using the mirror to watch you. I don't have a solution to that other than stare back until they stop looking.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    LOL!! Thank you so much for the replies!! Hmmm still don't know if I can do it... The free weights area of the weight room is pretty small and its allllll duded out in the evenings... They'd be like SHOWTIME. Lol jk... I'll figure something out. Maybe ask some staff if there is a time of day in the evenings that it's pretty vacant. Lol
  • Syneea
    Options
    I own it. They used to look at me like I was a unicorn but I think they're used to me now. One of the first times I did it in my current gym I had an old guy prop his chin up on his fist and lean across a machine to watch me. It was annoying and creepy but I just looked him in the eye and did my thing. We had a staring contest. I won. :wink:

This was HILARIOUS!!
  • Syneea
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Wear slightly loose pants or joggers and point the pelvis *away from* other people. Or, do them in a room off the main gym.

Hmmm this MAY work some days when it's less crowded... :)
  • Syneea
    Options
    jlisa24 wrote: »
    You dont lol jk good luck ;)

LOL OKAY?!?!