Not so much a rant and profile pictures

Options

Replies

• gfbs28
    gfbs28 Posts: 4
    Options
    So I took you advice and posted a picture of me at least when I liked myself a bit better. At this point I had lost 60 pounds which I have now regained, so I posted this picture as motivation. I need to lose 100, but always get to about 60 and start to feel good and gain it back. I need to get past that this time. I am contemplating gastric sleeve but I am scared to death. I have lost and gained this weight so many times.

I agree I think pictures allow people to relate to you on a more personal level and therefore help you. I know the people here have had the same struggles and I am hoping to get the friendship, support and courage I need to conquer this battle without the intervention of surgery.

Donna
  • gfbs28
    gfbs28 Posts: 4
    Options
    Don't know where my ticker is yet, lol
  • crzycylr
    crzycylr Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Never really thought about the fact that my profile picture wasn't a picture of me. I thought I was being clever. Maybe not so much, huh?
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    like myself, most of my friends change their profile pictures so often that its a non issue for me.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I agree!!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    like myself, most of my friends change their profile pictures so often that its a non issue for me.
    haha
    I think I change mine about twice a day, just depends on my mood.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I like to see faces. Not for anything to do weightloss or fitness. I just happen to be terrible with names. In real life I remember names and I remember faces, but it takes a couple times meeting someone before it clicks together in my memory. On here...without a real name (so many people do not use their real names) AND without a face, even if we are on each other's friends list I probably won't be able to distinguish between you and someone else with a fake name and a non-photo. You just become generic.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    how do you know i'm not a cat?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    <---- I just realized that I don't have a real picture up. Lol. Normally I do have a photo of myself. I do get the reasons why someone wouldn't.
  • droppinlbslikeangels
    Options
    Just like friend requests with personalized messages and filled out profiles - it's easier to make friends with someone when you have an idea of who they are. :) I'm an open book with everything except y name, and I tend to lean towards similar people, you know? It's all personal preference, though.
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have an easier time connecting at first if I see a face (size doesn't matter, but smiles speak to me). Having said that, I will also befriend cats, dogs, ducks or memes :happy:
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    But that is my Face :-)

You have such a cute face too ......

SAYS THE KITTY KAT. Shouldn't you be fighting with the puppy? This is something unheard of (but it's good).

And oh, to answer your question. Yes I do think it does make a difference. The only reason I don't put up a photo is for privacy reasons. That, and I hate taking pictures. I avoid them. They come out horrible. -.-
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just prefer not to post a picture that clearly shows my face. I prefer my internet activities to remain mostly anonymous - it's just the level of privacy that I'm comfortable with.

Right now, I do have a picture of myself up, but I was careful to choose one that's not focused on my face. Generally, I use pictures of my dogs or nature or whatever. I find that some of the non-face pictures give a more meaningful idea of who a person is than just a picture of their face. I do, however, agree with the earlier poster who said that the generic blue non-picture is the only thing that I'm not crazy about. I feel like it's not that hard to just find a picture of something you like to reflect who you are, rather than just using the generic non-avatar. I don't think I'd respond any differently to a post from someone without a picture, but I do think having the picture helps.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    how do you know i'm not a cat?
    I think you're an adorable cat.

I don't care if they have a picture or not. I want to be liked for my personality, not my looks, hence the reason for kitty pictures. I like my friends for their personalities.
  • madamstn
    madamstn Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like people to have real faces (and bodies) so have posted pictures of myself.

(The only people NOT allowed to see all of my activity on here are my close family and friends, because they're "feeders" and generally unsupportive. They think I'm too skinny - 5'5'' and a solid 128 lbs, perfectly healthy - and have a "gym addiction." Sheesh, all the addictions running rampant in this world, including in my own family, and I should be concerned with my time on the elliptical? No. Just no.)

I agree with you, however; for me it is the healthy lifestyle that i'm addicted to not the gym. If I don't go to the gym I feel that I cheated myself.
  • Maddius
    Maddius Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Have to agree, I actually like people and connecting with them, so it's just nice to see someone's face. There's so much support on here that it just lifts it to another dimension again.

For me I made sure I filled out all the gory detailed stuff as well, I don't mind people getting a little insight into me, and my putting detail into my profile was yet another form of self commitment from me to me (does That make sense?).

To be honest I'm somewhat amazed at the number of folk on here with no pic and no detail on themselves? I'm guessing those folk just want some anonymity for whatever reasons and to be fair I'm thinking the ladies on here that don't show pics of self and detail may be fearful of the drongo element? That's something that blokes don't (generally) have to contend with.

Whatever your choices, I wish you all well in your respective journeys.
  • Soyajam
    Soyajam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Technically, this profile picture contains my face... although it's not accurate, naturally.

I'm more concerned with privacy and ID, really. This isn't a personal network, don't know anybody on here etc. At least while I'm a newbie I'd prefer to be a little more anon. This pic is certainly enough for that at the moment!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't really care either way :) I've played enough MMOs to be comfortable talking to/relating with people who represent themselves as something totally different visually that it doesn't bother me if someone has a picture of their pet or something they find inspirational, etc., as their profile picture.

What does bother me is when someone is clearly using another person's photo as their identity, ex: representing themselves as the person in the photo when it clearly is stolen--hard to explain but I've caught people doing this before on here and called them out on it. It's one thing to put up a picture of Mr. Fluffypants as your profile pic because you'd rather be anonymous (or you have a really freaking cute dog/cat/turtle/whatever) and another thing entirely to use someone else's face as your own.

No-picture is fine too but I usually just assume you're not creative because, come on, everybody has the internet here lol even if you decide to be Tard the Grumpy Cat on the forums you're at least showing some enthusiasm ;)
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    So I took you advice and posted a picture of me at least when I liked myself a bit better. At this point I had lost 60 pounds which I have now regained, so I posted this picture as motivation. I need to lose 100, but always get to about 60 and start to feel good and gain it back. I need to get past that this time. I am contemplating gastric sleeve but I am scared to death. I have lost and gained this weight so many times.

I agree I think pictures allow people to relate to you on a more personal level and therefore help you. I know the people here have had the same struggles and I am hoping to get the friendship, support and courage I need to conquer this battle without the intervention of surgery.

Donna

Pretty haircut Donna! Just say no to surgery! It has taken me years to finally get to this point, and I finally feel that I can keep off what I have lost: I have bad days, but then get back on the horse and don't give up or beat myself up, and making time to take care of myself and making time to exercise every day helps soooo much! I have respect for you that you are trying again and not giving up!
    BTW - I like when people post pictures of themselves. I can't connect to an abs body shot or a cartoon personally and it makes me sad that people don't like pics of themselves. I say, celebrate your beauty and individuality, make a friend take your pic until you get one you like, and post it!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I find a real face/body shot more appealing and motivational.