Shakeology or Whey?

Options
Which do you prefer?

I'm not asking for my own personal gain. I use Whey, myself. I'm just curious what everyone else who uses protein products use.

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Which do you prefer?

I'm not asking for my own personal gain. I use Whey, myself. I'm just curious what everyone else who uses protein products use.

Whey is a ton cheaper. If I recall right (and I don't use it, so this is from memory of what I've read from others), Shakeology isn't really all that much protein, it's like 17 grams per serving. I buy my whey at Target for pretty cheap that's 25 g per serving
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is just an over-priced and over-hyped WHEY protein supplement. I buy whatever's on sale and shakeology will never be on sale.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's whey protein powder in vanilla, mixes with all kinds of things and it tastes good, and it isn't expensive.

7396232.png
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    I never really tried mixing things in with my protein shake. I have the chocolate peanut butter cup flavored one. Haha.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I add Trader Joe's Red Food and Green Food to my whey drink, which are food concentrate powders. I also add some of the quick-dissolving fiber you find in the laxative section, either inulin or dextrin. They add a lot of nutrition for a lot less than $4 a pop shakeology.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    Do any of you eat protein bars, as well?
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Shakeology seems like an overpriced slimfast to me.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    Shakeology seems like an overpriced slimfast to me.

*kitten*, Slim Fast is over priced as it is. :laugh:
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Cliff mint builder bars are awesome
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I use whey, but instead of the powdered greens that are in shakeology.....I add a cup of kale and 1/2 c blueberries and sometimes flaxseed. It's real total nutrition. Also if you like peanut butter but don't want it every time, you can add pb2 powder to your shakes. It's just dried, and ground peanuts that turns into peanut butter when water is added.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I rarely use either, but are they comparable? Shakeology is meant to be a meal replacement or exercise recovery drink (depending on which you are drinking). And isn't whey basically a protein dietary supplement?
  • JamieM8168
    JamieM8168 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Whey
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    Cliff mint builder bars are awesome

Can't say I've tried those. I'll look into it, though.
  • TheExorcistt
    Options
    I rarely use either, but are they comparable? Shakeology is meant to be a meal replacement or exercise recovery drink (depending on which you are drinking). And isn't whey basically a protein dietary supplement?

I wouldn't know. I've heard it was a protein supplement, as well.
    I don't know much about Shakeology, all I really know is I think I'll do fine without it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

A protein shake would be considered a "recovery" drink, IMO.
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    Shakeology IS whey powder. The individual ingredients may be of better quality than some store brands. BUT the important part is that what it all boils down to is that Shakeology is supposed to contain all the ingredients to provide a COMPLETE meal. Not all protein powders are suitable on their own as a meal replacement.

FYI- I am not a fan of Shakeology or many other brands of protein powder. I personally prefer the less sweet kinds and usually choose natural flavor, so I use Garden of Life and Vega One most often.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I think you are comparing apples and oranges. I add whey to my shakeology to increase the protein content. I personally think they are two different products.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I don't know much about Shakeology, all I really know is I think I'll do fine without it.

Well, I'm sure you could. So the post was just to elicit Shakeology trashing?
  • TheExorcistt
    Options

Well, I'm sure you could. So the post was just to elicit Shakeology trashing?

If you want to interpret it that way, sure..
  • maryhannold
    maryhannold Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use Rainbow Light Protein Energizer. It s a plant based protein and as Spirolina and green veggie powders as well. Makes a great smoothie for breakfast with frozen fruit.