Withings scale versus Fitbit Aria

Options
Any thoughts or comments. I don't want to make an expensive mistake, so any personal experience will be appreciated.

Replies

• CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    I own the Aria. At the time it was cheaper and I owned one of the FitBit step counters. It works well and does everything it's supposed to. I sync the data from the FitBit site with trendweight.com to get a smoothed out weight trend.

I can't speak to the Withings first hand but from my research when I bought (2014 I think) it was pretty comparable. I'd take a look at the two websites and go with the one you feel provides the best function for you. Also look at what any third party apps/sites sync with. Most seem to do both but some don't. Those areas are where you're going to see the biggest differences and what should be the driving force behind your choice. Also, obviously if you own a step tracker from either company or are thinking about buying one it's probably better to go with that brand scale just to simplify things.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have read the reviews too, but I would really like to hear from people here. I am curious. I am leaning toward the aria just because I have a Fitbit, but am interested to hear others comments or if they like a different scale.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have the Aria and have it synced with FitBit and Trendweight.
    I had a DEXA Scan done and the scale is close enough for my needs. There was 5 hours and breakfast and beverages between the scale weight and the scan. The Aria was less than 1% difference.

The "trick" to getting consistant accurate readings with the scales is to weight yourself at the same time (they suggest around 6 PM so when you're fully hydrated), naked, with clean bare feet.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have, but the problem with user reviews for a product like this could be negative due to the user not properly using or setting up the scale. Also, not too many recent reviews, most from 2014 and earlier.

Although I am sure you meant to be helpful, the purpose of my post was to ask other MFP their personal experience and how it worked with the MFP and FitBit apps, not to be directed to Amazon or other website for online reviews. If you had read my post, I asked for personal experience. I can Google all by myself.

• kuranda10
    Options
    The new Arias are super easy to set up. Unlike the first versions.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I love my Withings Body Analyser scale, but I don't think many of us will have used both to compare. It was easy to set up, and although it integrates well with MFP and Trendweight (as well as the Libra app), the Withings app and website make those graphs redundant.

It even tells me the weather forecast and the air quality of the room (yeah, I know, not needed but I like data so mmmMMMmmm).
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have the Withings and really like it, The weather is interesting, but not really necessary.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings. I like the display better than the Aria.
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my aria since it's more accurate compared to my other cheap ones I have had in the past.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    I have a Withings. I like the display better than the Aria.

Forgot about this feature! Withings is the only display I can read without binoculars.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What benefit do you think you will get from this kind of scale over a normal scale?

The bio-Impedence does not measure body fat percentage with a margin of error of up to 13% it is virtually worthless, and worse for women than me.

The Bluetooth updating of weights to other sites might be of benefit, but for me that's a disadvantage as consciously taking control of monitoring my weight and updating my charts was a part of my success

I'd like to know what benefits people see in gadgets like these...I love my gadgets but I have to understand the point
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What benefit do you think you will get from this kind of scale over a normal scale?

The bio-Impedence does not measure body fat percentage with a margin of error of up to 13% it is virtually worthless, and worse for women than me.

The Bluetooth updating of weights to other sites might be of benefit, but for me that's a disadvantage as consciously taking control of monitoring my weight and updating my charts was a part of my success

I'd like to know what benefits people see in gadgets like these...I love my gadgets but I have to understand the point

The Bluetooth feature is what attracted me, as well as the general gadgetyness of it. It suits my situation because I get overwhelmed very easily by, for instance, thinking "well I've weighed myself, and now I've got to put that data somewhere else before I forget!"

The more things are automated for me, the more I can focus on the things I need to do for myself.
  • kuranda10
    edited January 2016
    Options
    "The bio-Impedence does not measure body fat percentage with a margin of error of up to 13% it is virtually worthless, and worse for women than me."

Compared to the DEXA Scan I had, mine is in the 1% range. more than accurate enough for my daily needs.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    "The bio-Impedence does not measure body fat percentage with a margin of error of up to 13% it is virtually worthless, and worse for women than me."

Compared to the DEXA Scan I had, mine is in the 1% range. more than accurate enough for my daily needs.

You're lucky

Mine gives me a BF of 30-31%
  • kuranda10
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kuranda10 wrote: »

You're lucky

Mine gives me a BF of 30-31%

Have you had a scan? How do you know it's wrong?

One of the main reasons I had the scan was to see how far off the scale was! I was sooo disappointed to find out it was accurate :-(
  • charli3anne
    charli3anne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have an aria. I have had no problems with it, easy to set up, talks to mfp and trend weight. I have a Fitbit one as well which was part of the buying decision as one less app to link in!