Body Recomp TDEE active? Very active?

Options
Hello there?
I am female, 54, 5' 9" and currently weigh 146 lbs. I started MFP in August 2015 and thought I wanted to lose 12 lbs. my starting weight was 152 and my goal 140. I'm now seriously questioning if I need to lose weight at all and am thinking I need to work on body recomposition instead.
I have taken photos every 30 days in a bathing suit and even though my weight loss was never more than 8 lbs (I've bounced between 144-149 since being on MFP) my body has totally changed. I'm going to try and post photos but I'm not very tech savvy so don't know if I'll do it correctly. I have my settings at 1/2 lb loss per week. Sedentary(even though I'm not) and it gives me goal of 1400 calories per day. And I eat back between 75%_100% of exercise calories
I wear a Fitbit charge HR ( for just 10 days now) and it says I burn 2200 per day.
My workouts are 6 days a week, approx 45 min to 75 minutes per day. I do body weight HIIT workouts 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes. I walk/run 6 days a week between 30-75 minutes per session. Two of the walk/runs are on sand for added resistance. I'm not interested in heavy lifting because I tried it for 6 months with s trainer when I was 40 (14 years ago) and didn't like it because I personally found it boring ( that's just me) and ended up feeling big, maybe because I'm tall at 5'9" and have shoulders. I'm happy with my HIIT workouts and actually look forward to them. My clothes fit better and I feel great but have trouble netting 1400 calories. I just feel so damn hungry most of the time. I follow iF more because it gives me fierce daytime energy and I feel better doing it. I eat from 3 pm to 10 pm and go to bed at 12.
I'm looking for insight into what my 2016 goals should be? Thank you!

Replies

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add. Fitbit says I do between 12000 to 15000 steps including my workouts. Am I active or very active per MFP?? Thinking of doing TDEE n method and eating recommended 1700-1800 calories per day and ignoring exercise calories, but am scared of GAINING weight.??3zdnf26d9ot5.jpeg
    3av2h3rpy496.jpeg
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    First photo is August 2015--152 lbs. second photo is nov 2015--147 lbs. only 5 lbs difference in scale.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, one of the key components to pulling off body recomposition is resistance training incorporating progressive tension overload. Essentially weight lifting in a manner where you increase the amount lifted over time. Body recomposition, gaining muscle while simultaneously losing fat, is very difficult to achieve when you do everything in an optimal fashion. I wouldn't even know where to begin on setting up a recomp exercise program that didn't involve weights. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you are taking something that is difficult and generally not optimal to begin with, and removing a key component.

The problem with bodyweight workouts is that it is difficult to monitor whether or not you achieve progressive tension overload and eventually, you become strong enough that your workouts are mostly just cardio. I could probably do 100 body squats before I got tired, and when I did get tired, it would be in a cardiovascular sense, not from my muscles being unable to handle the load of my body. Now anyone new to exercising or a specific style of training who incorporates a proper diet into their plan is going to see some recomposition happen at first. The issue is maintaining this. Most people will not. What exactly are your goals? What do you ultimately hope to achieve?
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I find that HIIT-ting definitely helps me slim down - I am also 5'9, broad shouldered, swim between 135-155 (at the upper end of that now) - I get between 15-25k steps per day and am likely "very active" but I put down "active" as my safety net.

A couple of things here, and I'm not saying this as the expert!

Being as active as I am (and you are) I often end up feeling a little worn out and ragged. When I did HIIT 4+ times a week I was my slimmest, but once I got down to as slim as I was going to be, the only way for me to recomp was for me to add some lifting- heavy lifting, low rep lifting. The only way for me to have the energy to be lifting heavy things was to reduce my steps, and my HIIT. This was mentally hard for me because my activity level is a big part of who I am. At the time, I wanted to be little and ripped. I reduced my walking, dropped HIIT down to 2 days a week, lifted 3 days a week, ran twice a week. I was little and ripped.

I'm not exactly sure what you're going for, but you look effin awesome to me. I would just say that you only have so much energy, and no one should be lifting heavy weights if they are run down or tired or overworked, but it's a really effective way to recomp. If you decide to lift heavy, just make sure you take things down a notch on cardio. Or keep doing what you are doing, you look awesome!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Unfortunately, one of the key components to pulling off body recomposition is resistance training incorporating progressive tension overload. Essentially weight lifting in a manner where you increase the amount lifted over time. Body recomposition, gaining muscle while simultaneously losing fat, is very difficult to achieve when you do everything in an optimal fashion. I wouldn't even know where to begin on setting up a recomp exercise program that didn't involve weights. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you are taking something that is difficult and generally not optimal to begin with, and removing a key component.

The problem with bodyweight workouts is that it is difficult to monitor whether or not you achieve progressive tension overload and eventually, you become strong enough that your workouts are mostly just cardio. I could probably do 100 body squats before I got tired, and when I did get tired, it would be in a cardiovascular sense, not from my muscles being unable to handle the load of my body. Now anyone new to exercising or a specific style of training who incorporates a proper diet into their plan is going to see some recomposition happen at first. The issue is maintaining this. Most people will not. What exactly are your goals? What do you ultimately hope to achieve?

This. Although there is a definite difference between pictures, which is awesome, you're eventually going to hit a point that you cannot do much progressive-strength wise. My suggestion, as others have, is to begin a progressive lifting program if possible. That is the key component in a recomposition plan.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add. Fitbit says I do between 12000 to 15000 steps including my workouts. Am I active or very active per MFP?? Thinking of doing TDEE n method and eating recommended 1700-1800 calories per day and ignoring exercise calories, but am scared of GAINING weight.??

As far as this goes, you do NOT count anything other than your normal day-to-day routine as active, lightly active, etc. So if your job requires you to sit, you are sedentary or maybe lightly active. If your job allows you to move around, increase the activity level. But don't count your exercise as part of your active rating. You add those calories in as exercise (and fitbit does it for you if you are synced). I set mine to sedentary and let my fitbit add everything in for me.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »

As far as this goes, you do NOT count anything other than your normal day-to-day routine as active, lightly active, etc. So if your job requires you to sit, you are sedentary or maybe lightly active. If your job allows you to move around, increase the activity level. But don't count your exercise as part of your active rating. You add those calories in as exercise (and fitbit does it for you if you are synced). I set mine to sedentary and let my fitbit add everything in for me.

Interesting...I had always put mine as very active because maybe 6,000 of my steps were exercise and the other 15 or whatever were walking to and from class...then I'd adjust because 6,000 of the steps were double counted....it was complicated, but maybe I should do that...
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    clobern80 wrote: »

Interesting...I had always put mine as very active because maybe 6,000 of my steps were exercise and the other 15 or whatever were walking to and from class...then I'd adjust because 6,000 of the steps were double counted....it was complicated, but maybe I should do that...
    Exercise that you log should not be counted towards how active you are in MFP. If you walk 10 miles every day, which is a lot of activity, but you then work a desk job and don't get very active at home, you can either list yourself as active or very active and then NOT log the walks, or list yourself as sedentary, and log the walks. To do both would be double dipping.

This is exactly why I do not log exercise at all. I eliminate that variable all together. I just eat the same calories every day, and adjust them based on if I want to gain or lose weight. I keep my exercise consistent so that the only variable that ever needs adjusted is my calorie intake. Much simpler than bothering with logging exercise and wearing fitness devices.
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I do want to chime in here that you look terrific! I know just how hard you work at things because we are connected. I can only agree though with others here that the heavy lifting is what is going to bring you to your goal. I believe you are at the right weight and now you just need to recomp to get the results you desire. You can get a free weight set and do it at home. No gym required. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it is my thoughts on your progress. Keep at it fellow warrior
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Thank you to all so far that have posted. I was a bit nervous about "exposing" myself to the public because I've seen some people get ripped ( and not in the workout way) . The before photos were an awful wake up call for me because I have never been overweight, at least according to the charts. I can tell you that these changes happened at around 50 years old. No significant change in weight but a definite change in body shape. Up until age 48 or so, I was always quite proud of my figure.
    I have to say this, as I have to be true to myself and have to be happy with myself if I'm going to work toward goals and then maintain the results.
    I hope I don't offend anyone cause we all see ourselves differently, but....I don't want a six pack...I don't want to looked ripped..,the look I'm going for is more jenn Anniston or Halle berry than Jillian Michaels. I dream of a dancers body not a weight lifters body, if that makes sense.
    Would I benefit from adding Dumbbells to my body weight exercises such as squats, lunges, etc??
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Oh, oh!! Gwen Stefanis body is the look I want!!
  • hollen_carol
    hollen_carol Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Would I benefit from adding Dumbbells to my body weight exercises such as squats, lunges, etc??

Yes!
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Today I did a 2 mile fast walk and then came home and did a 30 minutes full body HIIT workout--Betty Rocker--but added 2-8 lb Dumbbells to the lower body work--sumo squats, regular squats,lunges,and then held them at my shoulders for prisoner squats. THAT wasn't bad, I can do that. My thighs and hips are the only place I'm really looking to change. I hope that will help.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Today I did a 2 mile fast walk and then came home and did a 30 minutes full body HIIT workout--Betty Rocker--but added 2-8 lb Dumbbells to the lower body work--sumo squats, regular squats,lunges,and then held them at my shoulders for prisoner squats. THAT wasn't bad, I can do that. My thighs and hips are the only place I'm really looking to change. I hope that will help.

8lbs today
    12lbs next time

You're looking for progression remember
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Hey girl! I do want to chime in here that you look terrific! I know just how hard you work at things because we are connected. I can only agree though with others here that the heavy lifting is what is going to bring you to your goal. I believe you are at the right weight and now you just need to recomp to get the results you desire. You can get a free weight set and do it at home. No gym required. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it is my thoughts on your progress. Keep at it fellow warrior

Thank you Carol!! You are a great and supportive MFP friend. I look forward to the new year and more fun,and to further reaching our goals. ❤️❤️
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    toe1226 wrote: »
    I find that HIIT-ting definitely helps me slim down - I am also 5'9, broad shouldered, swim between 135-155 (at the upper end of that now) - I get between 15-25k steps per day and am likely "very active" but I put down "active" as my safety net.

A couple of things here, and I'm not saying this as the expert!

Being as active as I am (and you are) I often end up feeling a little worn out and ragged. When I did HIIT 4+ times a week I was my slimmest, but once I got down to as slim as I was going to be, the only way for me to recomp was for me to add some lifting- heavy lifting, low rep lifting. The only way for me to have the energy to be lifting heavy things was to reduce my steps, and my HIIT. This was mentally hard for me because my activity level is a big part of who I am. At the time, I wanted to be little and ripped. I reduced my walking, dropped HIIT down to 2 days a week, lifted 3 days a week, ran twice a week. I was little and ripped.

I'm not exactly sure what you're going for, but you look effin awesome to me. I would just say that you only have so much energy, and no one should be lifting heavy weights if they are run down or tired or overworked, but it's a really effective way to recomp. If you decide to lift heavy, just make sure you take things down a notch on cardio. Or keep doing what you are doing, you look awesome!

Thank you @toe1226. I appreciate that.!
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

8lbs today
    12lbs next time

You're looking for progression remember

Thank you @rabbitjb! Your post is appreciated.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations! You look great and have done good work. I too think recomp without progressive lifting is going to be hard/impossible. Recomposition is losing fat and gaining muscle. Can only gain muscle if you train and eat for it. I lifted heavy (for me) all year and got smaller. Lost lbs & inches but no muscle gain because I was eating at deficit. But if you don't like lifting you aren't going to do it. My thoughts (but I'm no expert) are:

Cardio with little/no weights=smaller version of current shape

Cardio+lifting= smaller & tighter shape with some muscle definition, or "toned" look. "Toned"is B.S. But most women know what it refers to.

Heavy lifting+surplus calories=muscle growth. If cardio is done then maybe fat gain gain be kept to a minimum.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1. I sure hope I look as good as you when I am 54, you are rocking those photos!
    2. I get about the same amount of steps as you and also use a FitBit. I am set at active, even though I have a desk job, because I get those steps every day they are part of my routine. It also helps manage the size of the FitBit adjustments, I would rather start with a larger baseline and have the adjustments reflective of the part of my day that is more purposeful exercise, a long, fast walk or a circuit training DVD.

You're getting great advice about the impact of progressive weights for the recomp. I'm sure you'll sort it out!
  • frankiesgirlie
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    First off, congratulations! You look great and have done good work. I too think recomp without progressive lifting is going to be hard/impossible. Recomposition is losing fat and gaining muscle. Can only gain muscle if you train and eat for it. I lifted heavy (for me) all year and got smaller. Lost lbs & inches but no muscle gain because I was eating at deficit. But if you don't like lifting you aren't going to do it. My thoughts (but I'm no expert) are:

Cardio+lifting= smaller & tighter shape with some muscle definition, or "toned" look. "Toned"is B.S. But most women know what it refers to.

Heavy lifting+surplus calories=muscle growth. If cardio is done then maybe fat gain gain be kept to a minimum.
    Sumiblue wrote: »

Thank you Sumi--this is fantastic--cardio & lifting is obviously what I need. I've got to find a way to make lifting work for me!!