No Fruits or Veggies

Options
2»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetables but I still drink a glass of vegetable juice every day. I need the potassium. I think my juice says that it is the equivalent to two servings of vegetables a day.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    make some of the recipes from http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothie-recipes/

Also whenever you go to a really good restaurant, order a salad. Salads can be absolutely delicious if the chef knows what they're doing, but whenever I try to make a salad for myself, for example, it tastes like dog *kitten*.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    kastapp1 wrote: »
    I have never liked fruits or veggies. Is there an alternative that I can take that doesn't tastes as bad or worse that eating fruits and veggies?

Totally get you when it comes to Veggies... the only ones I like don't do much for the body. I do like V8 though and that helps.

Like others have said it is all in the way you prepare them, even then though I still have to force myself to eat them so I've resorted to still making the veggies at meal time because my BF and my 3 year old need them and the best thing for my family is to at least present it at the meal instead of leaving it out and having my son hate them also. You wont find a big amount on my plate though, in fact I only put it on there so my son sees that I am eating it too...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Guess I'm just a bit different that a lot of people. Thank you though.

You're not that different from a toddler to be honest

But you can use your adult sensibilities to choose to trial vegetables in all different types and modes of cooking if you wished to expand your tastes ...

Or you could take multivitamins and mineral supplements

Do you not eat soups or stews? Fajitas or tacos? Burgers? Carrot cake? All have vegetables in them

Does this mean you've tried tacos now?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I can handle apples and bananas, avocado and corn. Other than that no.
    Eat those.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I can handle apples and bananas, avocado and corn. Other than that no.

So no vegetables at all since corn is a grain. (:

The only remotely useful advice I can think to give someone who pretty much categorically does not ingest fruit or vegetables, for whatever the reason, is to be sure you are getting enough vitamin C from somewhere to prevent scurvy.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem. i only like some fruits and very few veggies. someone told me to buy spinach and it doesn't have as bad of a flavor going to try it with dinner tomorrow. maybe it will work for you too?
  • kastapp1
    kastapp1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise!
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I also have problems with veggies. You can change your taste buds, but it does take time. I would recommend smoothies. I do 2 cups spinach, half a banana, half and orange, and 1 Tb pineapple puree. I had to work up to this. For you, maybe start with 1/2 cup spinach, one apple, half a banana, and vanilla yogurt. (Greek would be best) Or take out yogurt and use fruit juice. I make my smoothies with water to save calories. And make sure all your choices are fresh. Not canned

Grilled or roasted veggies are awesome. But again, it took time for me to actually enjoy them. I would encourage you to start very small and don't give up on it. .

Best wishes on your journey. ;)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    For me it isn't a weight loss issue. I don't have a problem losing weight and keeping it off although during the holidays I enjoy a ton of eggnog which adds on weight but it comes off pretty quick when I get done with the holidays. I would like to be healthier in my eating.
    I will try roasting some and see how that works.

If you are trying to expand, I have found that if you coat beets and carrots with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and rosemary and roast them, they have a slightly sweet and tangy flavor. Very nice! Explore different ways of prepping them, different spices, different combinations of flavors.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'd argue that including vegetables in your diet should be a pretty big priority. Many vitamins and minerals are not processed the same when ingested as food versus ingested in a pill. Vegetables and fruit contain antioxidants that will help lower your risk of cancer and other health problems. Start preparing foods in different ways and find ways to work vegetables into your meals.

Roasting, sauteeing, and grilling are generally my go-to options for veggies. The standard option of boiling, steaming, or microwaving generally leaves you with bland goop. Frozen vegetables, while fine for nutrition, are generally the worst when it comes to texture and taste.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat Veggies for years maybe even a decade just through them back into my diet last night broccoli reds hot sauce and ranch with chicken..lol.. Yes they were good..
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    There is unsweetened applesauce with veggies added. I can't eat most vegs and fruit for medical reasons bit can stomach that
  • GinnyRamsdale
    GinnyRamsdale Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I buy the green powder at vitamin shoppe, and add the banana and apple smoothie mix in a blender, it tastes good and gives you all your veggies and fruits for the day. And only 1 glass a day.
  • LexiLuLexi
    LexiLuLexi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fruit hardly ever, it just makes me hungrier when I do. I eat lots of vegetables every day, though. I like a wheatgrass shot in the morning to top me up (I buy a powdered one, mix it with water and add it to a glass of orange juice).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm just a bit different that a lot of people. Thank you though.

You're not different than a lot of people. There are many people who hate the taste of veggies but they eat them anyway for health. Try putting them in a smoothie. I mix mine into casseroles or just suffer through them and eat them before the tastier part of the meal.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Check out some fruits you'd never imagine trying. Not all fruits are sweet, like Jack fruit and maybe even passion fruit in a way. Try including fruits and veggies into your meals with other flavours so they don't always taste like veggies. Again like others said, it can be an acquired taste
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Try picadillo recipes..