Hi all!

Options
Hey guys. I'm here because I can't do this anymore. I've always been a bigger guy, but the last six months have really put me on my butt. I'm the heaviest I've ever been and it is affecting my work and my family life. I'm a paramedic and I can't hardly get on the floor with my patients anymore because of my weight. I have an unhealthy relationship with food and I want to get that under control. I have tried Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous a couple times, but as an atheist, I don't do well with the "get on your knees every day and pray that God takes away your addiction" and "you are a broken person, feel guilty" lines. I have been as low as 225 when I came back from Afghanistan, which was pretty close to what I graduated high school at. I've hovered between 275 and 300 my entire adult life. I'm ready for a change. I was told to come here and immerse myself in a community to find some accountability and help in the struggle. So, here I am. Thanks.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,212 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey there. You've totally got this. MFP helped me lose more than 70 pounds (took me over a year) and keep it off for the past year and a half. I started NOT by dieting, but by simply logging all of my food and drink. It was eye opening to realize how many calories I was chowing down on every day. Once I committed to logging honestly every day, I started making small decisions/changes each day that caused weight loss... Not consciously or really on purpose, but since I was aware of the amount of calories in things I had been eating, I started substituting things. Weight loss doesn't have to be hard. You've got this. :flowerforyou: