How to stop or reduce butt wink on squats?

Options
I found myself butt winking every time I squatted to parallel or lower with a barbell. I tried some body weight squats to only find the same result. Any tips? I do work on mobility issues a few times a week for ankles, hips, glutes, calves, quads, hamstrings, and lower back so maybe it could be a technique issue? Any tips would be much appreciated.

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    What is butt winking??
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What is butt winking??

I don't think I want to know, LOL. This thread cannot possibly turn into anything good or uplifting.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What degree of pelvic tilt are we talking here? Some folks are just going to have it no matter what they do. As long as your spine is in a neutral position at the bottom of your squat you're fine.

Now, if it's causing you to round your back... that's an issue. Play around with your foot width. Some people need to go wider or more narrow. Continue working on hip mobility. Look up lizard and pigeon stretch. Both are great for opening up your hips.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    How are your feet positioned? I find I can go lower with perfect form only if my feet are slightly wider than hip with apart and toes pointed a bit out.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    What degree of pelvic tilt are we talking here? Some folks are just going to have it no matter what they do. As long as your spine is in a neutral position at the bottom of your squat you're fine.

Now, if it's causing you to round your back... that's an issue. Play around with your foot width. Some people need to go wider or more narrow. Continue working on hip mobility. Look up lizard and pigeon stretch. Both are great for opening up your hips.

Great advice here.

This video might also be useful to you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cNs8swRZL48
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Google Bret Contreras and check T-Nation. Plenty of good information there on hip mobility and appropriate squat depth
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    it's a mobility issue supposedly, hamstrings too tight. try stretching your hamstrings every night without letting your lower back round. Keep your lower back neutral during the stretch - you'll find you're much less mobile than expected.

Meanwhile, you can just go down as far you can without buttwinking. Or, if your buttwink is very small, you can do it. Or, If you squat more upright, high bar, feet out wider than shoulderlength and imagine pulling yourself down into the hole, that might help as well.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    And now I know what a butt wink is...
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Da_Chozen_Juan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What is butt winking??

I don't think I want to know, LOL. This thread cannot possibly turn into anything good or uplifting.

It's nothing bad at all lol. Its just when your butt dips down at the bottom of a squat. Google it to visualize
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Options
    How are your feet positioned? I find I can go lower with perfect form only if my feet are slightly wider than hip with apart and toes pointed a bit out.
    I think my feet are positioned similar to how you perform your squats.

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    What is butt winking??

Lol!! My initial reaction exactly...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What is butt winking??

know how I know you don't lift?
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I lift... and squat.. and deadlift... but never heard of a butt-wink... maybe I should get out of my basement...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You've never read, watches or analyzed squat form?

Seems weird to do these things and not be educating yourself regularly on it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

It might seem weird to you, but consider your audience. How many people actually squat at all, nevermind know about form discrepancies in any capacity? You could ask 20 people on the street what butt wink is and none of them would have a clue.
  • Da_Chozen_Juan
    Options

Of course I have. I have watched countless educational videos from the likes of Johnny Candito, Omarisuf, and many others. I have tried a lot of mobility drills, played around with foot angles, etc. but still find that I butt wink to some degree no matter what I do. It's one thing to learn about these things, and another to actually execute them with accuracy.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Stretching you whole lower chain will help. I constantly stretch my hip flexors, hamstrings, calves etc. It's good for you. Every single day if you can
  • JoRocka
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

It might seem weird to you, but consider your audience. How many people actually squat at all, nevermind know about form discrepancies in any capacity? You could ask 20 people on the street what butt wink is and none of them would have a clue.

well I mean I get it- 20 people off the street- but someone who actually lifts I expect would know a little more. Shrug- my expectations are to high it seems.