Is your BMI "normal" now?

Options

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Perhaps bf % applies more to males than females. Not sure.
    it applies to females as well because it can be a risk factor (especially when stored more in the stomach area than the hips). the range is usually 10% higher for females versus males.

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Perhaps bf % applies more to males than females. Not sure.
    it applies to females as well because it can be a risk factor (especially when stored more in the stomach area than the hips). the range is usually 10% higher for females versus males.

Ya I know. Men generally want to be between 8-15 % bf, while females want to be between 18-25%.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Mid range normal at 22.4.

Looking for 20 +/- 0.5
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

I
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    Anyone performing weight training to any decent level will never have normal bmi.

Bmi only measures weight vs height and doesn't take into consideration muscle and other factors.

I lift heavy a lot and have a "normal" bmi

Yeah sorry I should of probably aimed this more towards males

It's more often used as an excuse by fat blokes who lift a bit!
    I certainly used it as an excuse for years.....

My maintenance weight is in the normal range.

Agreed, I was just trying to point out there are some limitations with its method :)
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    In response to LaceyBirds question, Can I ask you both why your doctors advised you to not lose more?

I have kidney issues and she doesn't want me to get to thin. Also, she is OK with me lifting weights, but whe doesn't want me to bulk up.
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Mine is normal. After losing 85 pounds (and still going), it's 19.5.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Pawsforme wrote: »
    Mine is, but just barely. I went into maintenance mode when I was still in overweight BMI territory, and I was totally fine with that. It's only because I've dropped a couple more pounds while trying to find my maintenance calorie goal that I'm in normal territory.

I agree that BMI means little to nothing for anyone who does much in the way of lifting weights. Waist to hip ratio is probably a more meaningful measurement for everybody (and especially for those who lift).

I'm screwed then, considering I have a large ribcage/waist, even though there isn't that much fat left on it...

I'm guessing that should have read "waist to height ratio." I can't imagine my narrow hips are that much of an issue!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Mine is, but just barely. I went into maintenance mode when I was still in overweight BMI territory, and I was totally fine with that. It's only because I've dropped a couple more pounds while trying to find my maintenance calorie goal that I'm in normal territory.

I agree that BMI means little to nothing for anyone who does much in the way of lifting weights. Waist to hip ratio is probably a more meaningful measurement for everybody (and especially for those who lift).

I'm screwed then, considering I have a large ribcage/waist, even though there isn't that much fat left on it...

I'm guessing that should have read "waist to height ratio." I can't imagine my narrow hips are that much of an issue!

Waist to hip ratio calculator

Wiki article on waist-hip ratio
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Waist to hip ratio calculator

Wiki article on waist-hip ratio

Wow. I'm screwed! I thought I was in pretty good shape. :(
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    BMI: 21.5

(22 weeks pregnant, it was 20.3 when I got pregnant)

I stopped when I got down to my weight range goal, and liked how I looked. I probably would have lost a few more pounds just to have more "cushion" for water weight/etc, but pregnancy put a holt to that for now. Hoping to stick to a 25 lb gain by the end of this pregnancy, which would put me at the end of a normal range for a normal BMI, and then get back down to goal range again by the end of the year. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think the highest mine has been (outside of pregnancy) was the border between normal and overweight.
    However, body fat percentage is another story; my husband and I are great examples of how misleading BMI can be.

He's only 2/3 of an inch taller than me and weighs about 50% more. Obviously his BMI is much "worse" than mine, but our body fat percentages are actually pretty similar. He has vastly more lean body mass than I do. Bone structure is polar opposite and he has a ton of muscle while I have relatively very little.

I've always had a strong tendency toward being "skinny fat." Most people my height and weight wear clothes at least 1-2 sizes smaller than I do; I carry a lot of fat around my midsection, even at my skinniest (BMI of 20, body fat % was still around 28-29%). It's frustrating, especially because parts of my body will start to get really too thin while my body clings to that belly fat. I'm almost done cutting now and starting a recomp soon so hopefully I'll shift things a bit.
  • runningagainstmyself
    Options
    Sadly thanks to the holiday season I am no longer at "Normal" weight but that will change soon.
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Mine is 27.4 (overweight) at 150 pounds at 5'-2" tall, wearing a size 4-6, or small. I don't consider it to be an accurate tool if you have a good bit of muscle mass.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Obese class 2 for me! Stupid Twinkies!! :)
  • KwonJiYong69
    KwonJiYong69 Posts: 66 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

My bmi is healthy now
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I only started losing when I got out of the healthy BMI range in my 50's and hit the bottom of 'overweight'. I'm now at 21-22- that's the same weight I was when I graduated from college.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    23.1 now.
    Aiming for 21.5

Waist 75 cm
    No idea of BF%
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well, is it?. There's more to being healthy than the BMI number which only takes into account two factors: height and weight. After losing 91 lbs, (5'3 Female) I'm at 144ish and I keep feeling sort of guilty for going to maint and not seeing to it that I get to a "normal" BMI (which would be 140 lbs at the high end) but I know I'm large framed with a good amt of muscle. Was it a normal BMI that told you to stop losing or something else?

Yes. I'm 54" as well and my lowest weight recorded was 127. Trust me that lasted about a day. Now I'm bulking and gaining weight, and you bet when I hit 140-145 the thought that I'm not at a "healthy bmi" will not cross my mind once-this is the most fit I have been in my life.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I am not actively trying to lose, but if it happens while I'm trying to maintain, I wont worry too much... as long as I'm not going too low in the normal BMI range.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »
    I am not actively trying to lose, but if it happens while I'm trying to maintain, I wont worry too much... as long as I'm not going too low in the normal BMI range.

Lol sometimes it feels like I'm the only person for whom losing too much weight will NEVER be a concern.