How to cope with sugar/bad food withdrawal symptoms?

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    You have some great advice in this thread.

From my personal experience (sample of one, I know) the three things that used to cause me this kind of symptoms were:
    - eating too little at the previous meal (s)
    - Going too long between meals

- Not having enough protein and fat with my previous meal, just carbs (that includes fruit too)

The last one was by far the biggest culprit in my case, so making sure I got a good source of protein at every single meal, snacks included, helped me.

Bolded is what does that to me, every time.

+1 to eating more food
  • shantal_96
    shantal_96 Posts: 14 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I think before anybody can give you sound advice it would be helpful to know how many calories that you are eating. Maybe your calorie goals are too low. Maybe try eating a little more during the day so that you aren't starving at the end of the day.

Picking lower calorie foods will give you a larger quantity of food to eat.

Ive set my goal as 1350 calories a day
  • shantal_96
    I weight 108kg, I'm 19, 160cm tall. My goal weight is 65kg MAX
    I've cut back (tried to anyway) to 1350 calories per day.

Hopefully thats enough info :)
  • shantal_96
    And I think it may be caffeine withdrawal actually :( I've cut out soft drink, but I have done it gradually so idk :(
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    I started out at just under 220 lbs and my calorie goal started at 1450. It sounds like your calorie goal may just be too low. Try setting the weight loss goal to a pound per week (not sure of the equivalent in kg) and seeing how that works. Often, people don't accurately assess their activity level correctly either, so you may be more active than you set mfp to initially.

It does take some trial and error to determine what works to keep you, personally, full enough between meals that you don't get overly hungry and shaky. If experimenting with your diet and calorie goals doesn't work, I'd say the next step would be to see a doctor.

Good luck!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    In my experience, caffeine withdrawal is best handled by cutting back slowly. A few years ago I kicked coffee over the course of a week, with few side effects. If sugar cravings enter into it, make sure you are getting enough protein. Made all the difference to me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    shantal_96 wrote: »

In case anyone else not on metric was wondering, this is 238 pounds and 5'2".
  • lizkharvey
    lizkharvey Posts: 65 Member
    I got caffeine withdrawl. I was highly addicted. You gotta deal with it for like 3 days then it gets better, and goes away. It hurt so bad that I had to just fall asleep in the middle of the day. Take advil and go cold turkey, the symptoms will go away faster.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member

1350 per day total, or 1350 plus exercise? MFP is designed for you to eat back a portion of your exercise calories, so it's possible that you are not eating enough. Without knowing what you were eating and what you are eating now, it's difficult to give any further suggestions about what may be causing the issues you are describing.

In looking at your profile (to see if you diary was open), I noticed you've been diagnosed with PCOS (could this be related to the issues you are experiencing in any way?). There's a great group here that might have some suggestions for you as far as diet and type of foods, I know some users have reported that carb intake can be something that needs to be watched with PCOS: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    That was how I felt when my blood glucose went low: reactive hypoglycaemia. Once I started a ketogenic diet, it took a few days but those symptoms went away because I was no longer relying on glucose as my main fuel.

A lower carb diet will help with reactive hypoglycemia. Pairing protein with carbs helps too. Using a glucose meter can tell you if it is indeed low BG.

Good luck.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2016
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    That was how I felt when my blood glucose went low: reactive hypoglycaemia. Once I started a ketogenic diet, it took a few days but those symptoms went away because I was no longer relying on glucose as my main fuel.

A lower carb diet will help with reactive hypoglycemia. Pairing protein with carbs helps too. Using a glucose meter can tell you if it is indeed low BG.

Good luck.

Sorry to derail, just wanted to say thanks for this. I've had this problem all my life - to the point where family and friends knew to not keep me away from food for too long - but didn't know about reactive hypoglycemia. At some point I understood it was somehow related to blood sugar, but didn't think I had any major issues because regular blood tests said I was fine - looks like a special test would need to be done for this? I just couldn't understand why other people didn't get headaches or feel jittery or horrible in the same way. Wikipedia says hereditary fructose intolerance could be involved - I do have IBS, and have identified many fruits as major triggers. And, I do better overall in terms of well being (and satiety) with moderate to lowish carb (compared to SAD). A curiosity (possibly) solved! Will ask doc about it. Thanks, anyway :)
  • Ky_007
    Ky_007 Posts: 4 Member
    You literally just described my daily life!
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member

Good luck.

I actually forgot i used to suffer from this when i was at a normal weight (before i got fat, lol)

This is also a possibility
  • shantal_96
    Thanks heaps you guys :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    And I think it may be caffeine withdrawal actually :( I've cut out soft drink, but I have done it gradually so idk :(

That's the worst. Get some tea!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    For a perspective, when I started I was 108.9 kg and I am twice your age, but a bit taller (165 cm). I lost fairly fast on 1700 cals a day or thereabouts. 1350 might be too low for your weight, even being shorter.

This site has a deçent TDEE calculator - I suspect you could probably eat around 1600 and still lose at a deçent rate (I am assuming you are not exercising and eating back exercise calories, just being sedentary).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »

Good luck.

Sorry to derail, just wanted to say thanks for this. I've had this problem all my life - to the point where family and friends knew to not keep me away from food for too long - but didn't know about reactive hypoglycemia. At some point I understood it was somehow related to blood sugar, but didn't think I had any major issues because regular blood tests said I was fine - looks like a special test would need to be done for this? I just couldn't understand why other people didn't get headaches or feel jittery or horrible in the same way. Wikipedia says hereditary fructose intolerance could be involved - I do have IBS, and have identified many fruits as major triggers. And, I do better overall in terms of well being (and satiety) with moderate to lowish carb (compared to SAD). A curiosity (possibly) solved! Will ask doc about it. Thanks, anyway :)

:)
    The "official" way to test for this is an oral glucose tolerance test but it is rarely done because you need to sit in the doctor's office or lab for over two hours. If you have a glucose monitor you can sort of copy the test somewhat, especially if you ingest just glucose for testing.
    Good luck.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,054 Member
    OP, where did you get 1350 cals as a goal?

According to my calculations using the stats you've given, you should not be eating less than 1900 cals at this point in your journey (probably closer to 2100).
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hello
    I think the cal goal is low... I am 5'3 and 198lbs... Mygoal is 1500. At 240 my goal was higher... At that rate i am losing 0.5-1 lb per week.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

;)
    uojdir0bc2yy.jpg