Lean Protein Sources

Options
I'm looking for suggestions on adding variety to lean protein sources. I feel like I am constantly consuming shakes (not whey), egg whites, fish, and chicken. Any plant sources of protein that I should try? PS how do vegetarians get protein?

Replies

• PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a long time and honestly, it was really hard.

Here are some things I ate;

Lentils (1 cup = 18g protein)
    Quinoa (1 cup = 9g protein)
    Hempseed (2 tbsp = 10g protein)
    Tofu (1/2 cup = 10g protein)
    Seitan (1/3 cup = 20g protein)
    Hummus (2 tbsp - 5g protein)
    Chia Seeds (2 tbsp = 4g protein)

Beans, edamame, nuts, seeds, stuff like that have protein too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Low fat dairy
    Seafood
    Turkey
    Cous cous
    Lean cuts of beef (I get 5% fat mince)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Vital wheat gluten (the base used to make seitan), soy grits, and textured vegetable protein are all lean sources of plant protein I've used.
    There are a lot of vegetarian protein sources, but unless processed, they tend to carry a moderate amount of fat with them, just like animal sources.
  • jessa_douglas
    jessa_douglas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife for my protein needs. They have shakes, bars and beverage drinks that all offer excellent amounts of protein.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife for my protein needs. They have shakes, bars and beverage drinks that all offer excellent amounts of protein.

I'm guessing you must have joined MFP just to sell Herbalife products, since you've made 3 posts so far in different threads and every one of them has been nothing more than advertisements for Herbalife.
  • jessa_douglas
    jessa_douglas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I'm guessing you must have joined MFP just to sell Herbalife products, since you've made 3 posts so far in different threads and every one of them has been nothing more than advertisements for Herbalife.

Actually, the posts you are referring to were all made the same day, because it was the first time I had discovered/explored the community boards. Today, is the first time I've been back to look around again. I thought the point was to offer advise and ask questions? I read those questions and answered with what I know from my experience. I in no way tried to sell anyone anything. But, since the products have worked so well for me, maybe I should sign up. Thanks for your advise!
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    -Low fat cottage cheese
    -Lentils (loooove them)
    -Chickpeas
    -Tofu
    -Milk
    -Cheese

• joelg365
    joelg365 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did some research on this for myself and found this product: Spirulina. I haven't had the chance to get some yet and it seems a bit pricey but if the nutritional info is accurate, it is loaded with good protein.