What are your thoughts on "cheat," "treat," or "off" days?

Options
I try to count every day, but we all know life doesn't go as smoothly as we want it to, things come up, and you fall off track.

In the past I used to give myself an "off" day from counting every Sunday, but then I'd think, "Oh my gosh, I can finally eat!" so I'd overeat/binge. Then that habit would carry over into Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - sometimes for the rest of the week - until I finally decided to start counting again.

After a while of that, I figured I would try to count every day, and if something came up (dinner with family or friends, a party, etc.) I'd just give myself the day "off" and practice my moderation and smaller portions on my own, without the app.

Well, that hasn't worked, either. I have still ended up thinking "I can finally eat!" and I overeat/binge for days on days after.

I hate being so back-and-forth. I wish I could stick to something instead of having repeated episodes of binging, then restricting.

What do you guys think? How do you handle "cheat," "treat," or "off" days? Do you have them in the first place? What if you have an event that comes up - do you still try to count, or do you try practicing your healthy habits on your own? How do you stay motivated, even after falling off track?

I can't seem to find that healthy moderation/balance. And because I can't find it, I lose my determination and motivation, and I'm right back to square one, 15 lbs and all.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Hope you're all having a great New Year so far. :smile:

Replies

• gloriacheng22
    gloriacheng22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have any cheat days but if I know I'm going out to dinner or to a party, I try to plan ahead and make sure I work out before I go out. The extra calories I gain from exercise plus what ever calories I have left are what I allot myself to indulge in. If I want to eat something particularly unhealthy, I just make sure I have enough calories in my daily intake to eat it. It does take willpower and discipline to stay within your calorie goals and no one is perfect. If you have a 'bad day' or meal, try to get back to being disciplined the next time you eat instead of having days of indulgences.

Another thing I find helpful is that I have told everyone I hang out with my fitness goals so I'm accountable. It makes me not want to indulge in front of them because I'd feel embarrassed and judged, even if they really aren't judging me.

Not sure that's helpful but good luck. Just keep trying and keep working at it!
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I'm not great with cheat days, they turn into cheat weeks like you said. It's too hard to make decision after decision. I read a book about how willpower is a muscle and that it gets fatigued like our other muscles. That's why it's easier to decide to exercise and eat well early in the day, and harder as the day goes on. The more decisions you have to make, the faster it fatigues. That said I try to prelog as much as I can for the whole day. I decide dinner and lunch as I'm eating breakfast and that way I know if I want to indulge I have to exercise or cut back on lunch and snacks. It's all decided for me before I finish breakfast and so I don't have to fatigue that muscle later in the day. It works for me.

Hope that makes sense.
  • bmb42
    bmb42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't healthy I had cheat meals. I planned planned them and they kept me on track during the week. That being said, I was not healthy and would think about those cheat meals all week long. I would also often binge during that cheat meal. Fast forward to now and I'm healthy. I no longer plan cheat meals, but still eat them. Some nights my husband will ask to order Chinese, so we do. We often do ice cream after. They're spontaneous but not every single week. This works better for me because I don't overeat.

In terms of events coming up, I have a honeymoon beginning Monday! I don't plan on counting at all. It'll be a week of paradise and I don't want to add any stress about food/weight. I won't binge, but I absolutely won't restrict.
  • ise311
    ise311 Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't set any specific day as "treat-day". Sometimes if my office-mates throw a small party, or if I see a good deal on ice-cream/chocs in the supermarket, have food vouchers, etc... I'll just go with 'em, enjoy the foods.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm the same as you. One high calorie meal, and I feel like I've blown it, even if I'm under, and I just end up eating whatever. I try so hard not to let one meal derail me, but I've been having issues with that. I am trying really hard to get back at it. I've found that "just having one" doesn't work for me. I do realize I need to learn to live in the real world and go to parties and have nice meals out without bingeing, but it's a work in progress. Part of it is mental, I don't follow hunger cues, I follow boredom or social cues. I've really realized that, and it's a big goal of mine to work on.
  • isafullspeed
    isafullspeed Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I do have maintenance days. It's good practice for when I hit my goal weight, and it means I can go out and have a couple of drinks with friends every so often. I don't have any trouble getting back on my 1,200 cal diet the next day, in fact it only motivates me, but YMMV.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't have planned "cheat days" like some have reported but I'm also not perfect. If there is something coming up that I know about I try to plan ahead, cut back the day or two before, etc. But there are times I come home and my husband wants to go out for dinner. I have checked the calorie counts of menus from restaurants we frequent so I have an idea of what to order that is in line with my goals or at least not going to go far off. I will cut back the next day or meal as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Count every day. No such thing to me as "cheat" days. There are days people will go over, but usually it's not consecutive unless it's a planned vacation. Even on vacation, I indulge, but still am aware of how much I eat and still exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't set out in advance that I am going to have a cheat day. I do allow a cheat meal when it comes upon me. For example, my boss may order pizza for lunch one day. I'll eat a slice because I love it but I try to stay on track for the rest of the day. Go to the gym, maybe push it a bit harder. Lighten up my dinner. I try to prelog a little bit in the morning on what my breakfast and lunch will be so I have time to think during the day what I want for dinner. I try for dinner to be the most appealing meal to look forward to. It somehow keeps me satisfied when I am looking forward to a dinner and it tastes exactly how I envision. If I end up with pizza for lunch I readjust what dinner looks like. Even if its just one of those days I go over in calories, I still log it. I won't let myself starve and be hungry for dinner if I ate pizza for lunch. I will try to have something low cal and filling like soup.

If I know I am going out in advance, I try to look at a menu online to familiarize my self with what they have so I can figure out a plan in advance.

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    There is no "cheat" for me unless I am going over my calories. In that case, I want to plan for it and save the calories needed so the "cheat" actually fits into my calorie structure.
  • ianfish458
    ianfish458 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I avoid planned cheat days. However, there will always be days where your calorie (Esp carbs) intake exceeds your goals. For example, special dinners and big family events. The one rule I am religious about is any high calorie (again, especially high carb) days must include a workout. This helps keep the metabolism up and offsets the extra calories.
  • xmaplegunmanx
    xmaplegunmanx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have cheat treats instead of cheat days. If I feel like I want a treat, I work a milkshake into my calories that day or a donut or whatever. On special occasions like my birthday I allow myself to go over my calorie allowance and have some cake and my favourite food (just dinner) then the rest of the day I'm good. I also tended to drink my calories before I started to diet so I allow myself a latte (with soy milk) or a special coffee on days where I didn't eat as much or I worked out a little more. And recently I've been having a low calorie (45) glass of hot chocolate and a piece of fruit for my last snack of the day. I've done a lot better allowing myself a treat worked into my calorie allowance than going overboard one day. :)
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I still try to count when a special event comes up. If I know it's coming, I'll adjust lunch/snacks to allow room. Otherwise, I just count it, go for reasonable portions, and don't beat myself up if I go over. I find that doing the best job I can counting makes me think about what I'm eating and why, and that usually keeps me on track (often to my surprise, since I'm logging after the event). If I go over, I try to balance out the overage with a few days a little bit under, and it all works out.

For me, it's a lifestyle change and not a diet, so I don't see a need to "cheat" every week. Special occasions are part of life, so I need to be able to deal with them as part of my lifestyle.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Every once and awhile ill allow myself a meal with unlimited calories. I log everything but if it sends me over I'm okay with it. It's the only thin that's kept me going this long.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days per say, I count calories every day. What I do, is make things fit on specific days. For example I love pizza, so on Fridays or Saturday's I work my day around it. In fact on those days where I want a dinner like that I'll fast a little throughout the day and have a larger portion. My usual is Marcos pizza at about 280 calories per slice. Light lunch, 4-5 slices of pizza.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to work things into my calorie goals and if I go over by a little bit then that's okay. My thinking is that my life isn't going to be super structured all the time with really healthy foods, counted as closely as possible fitting into a nice neat number of 1220 calories or so. Eventually I have to learn how to eat moderately, healthy, and still be able to go out with friends and family sometimes.

So I try avoid labeling thing as bad foods, cheat foods, off day foods. Trying to learn portion control and moderation. I am learning how to cut back on portion sizes so I can eat what I want and still stay under calories. I can learn how to fit a cookie or two into my calorie budget. If I want a slice of pizza for dinner one night, there's no reason to feel guilty.

It's a bit rocky as I am trying to find the balance. I am allowing myself to go a bit slower, that if my weight doesn't drop quickly, that's okay. It's about learning, it's about a life style change. Just take it slow.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP, who are you trying to cheat exactly? It seems you are not in the right mindset yet to lose AND more importantly I suppose KEEP OFF those 15 lbs... Life will give you "cheat" days all the time if that's how you approach your new diet (as in 'new way of eating')
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    No bad foods, only bad feelings. The days that I go over aren't planned- they arise from a social situation where I feel that the benefit of enjoying (when my friend made a three tier home baked smitten kitchen chocolate cake, for example), far outweigh the alternative (sticking to my calorie limit and missing out on a special gift). Usually, I go over because I'm choosing to enjoy something delicious, artisan and social---That joy is good for your health!
  • Aluminumx
    Aluminumx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't, just don't do it. It will be so very to pack on lbs and give up. Hard work and seeingbthe results should be the only reward you need.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If it is planned, you aren't cheating. Plan one day a week. If your calories are set right, you will still lose and you keep your sanity. There are always tough guys that say that you shouldn't do it but hey, I must not be tough. I have used this concept with great effectiveness through the years.