Is meat really fatty?

Options
Maybe I'm being dumb but I'm really confused; I decided I want to eat more healthy and get more iron and protein in my diet BC I lack it but today I ate quite a lot of meat, a tin of sweet corn and chips. But it says my fat intake is nearly 50%!? And my protein is still super low. Can someone explain this? Or help me get the protien up and fat down..? Thank you x

Replies

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm being dumb but I'm really confused; I decided I want to eat more healthy and get more iron and protein in my diet BC I lack it but today I ate quite a lot of meat, a tin of sweet corn and chips. But it says my fat intake is nearly 50%!? And my protein is still super low. Can someone explain this? Or help me get the protien up and fat down..? Thank you x

Open up your diary temporarily and I am sure there will be many people that will be able to help you with some alternatives.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not all meat is fatty. I normally eat less than 50g of fat per day and that's including a good amount of cheese. There are lean cuts of beef, such as top round sirloin and I usually have the butcher grind that for me for burgers and stuff. The one I get is usually sold as London Broil. Cut properly and it ends up being great steaks that are easy to portion. Boneless, skinless chicken breast is great, too. You can poach or simmer it in a low cal sauce and that's high in protein. We sometimes simmer it in water and seasonings until it's cooked and the water dries up. Beats roasting it in the oven and comes out juicy. I like ground turkey, too, but the macros are about the same as ground sirloin, so that's more of a taste thing. Some "exotic" cuts are healthy, ostrich, venison, bison, are all lower in fat than most cuts of beef, even some cuts of pork. And when all else fails, there is always fish, with some being leaner than others.

And I agree, open up your diary or post a pic of what you're talking about so we can see what the numbers looks like.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

What is quite a lot of meat, what kind of meat, what is 50% for you, and are you sure of the veracity of the entries you used? There are a lot of things left vague here.

Pork, lamb, fatty steak, fatty ground beef, duck, chicken or turkey with skin, various fish can all be very high in fat.
    It can range from rib eye which is ~72% fat by calories, to boneless, skinless chicken breasts having ~10% calories from fat.

Chips, depending on what type could also contain a fair amount of fat.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you want more protein and less fat in your diet, things to look at lean cuts of meat, low fat beans or low fat soy products, fat free milk or Greek yogurt, and if nothing else, protein powder. Just take a look at the label when making purchases to see what the breakdown of fat to protein is.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am of the opinion that fat is good for you. Nothing wrong with a 50% fat diet as long as your calories stay near your goal. Enjoy it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Corn and chips not good. Try eggs and cheese instead!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Chips were fat. Open your diary. How many chips? The whole bag?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Meat can vary hugely on macronutrient composition, depending on the animal, the cut, and how it was seasoned/prepared.
  • KwonJiYong69
    KwonJiYong69 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ;
    What is quite a lot of meat, what kind of meat, what is 50% for you, and are you sure of the veracity of the entries you used? There are a lot of things left vague here.

Pork, lamb, fatty steak, fatty ground beef, duck, chicken or turkey with skin, various fish can all be very high in fat.
    It can range from rib eye which is ~72% fat by calories, to boneless, skinless chicken breasts having ~10% calories from fat.

It was pork and 64g which I really didnt think was too much meat? The chips were just Tesco oven chips. I didn't realise pork was a fatty meat, maybe I'll just stick to chicken. Thank you for replying and answering x
  • KwonJiYong69
    Options
    Chips were fat. Open your diary. How many chips? The whole bag?
    The whole bag!? Haha I only had the rrecommended 125g.
  • KwonJiYong69
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I am of the opinion that fat is good for you. Nothing wrong with a 50% fat diet as long as your calories stay near your goal. Enjoy it.
    I'd agree if it was nuts bit iisn't fat from other foods saturatedand bad? I stayed in my goal though, so that's one achievement :P

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    ;

It was pork and 64g which I really didnt think was too much meat? The chips were just Tesco oven chips. I didn't realise pork was a fatty meat, maybe I'll just stick to chicken. Thank you for replying and answering x

64g is not a lot of meat. Pork is not necessarily a fatty meat, it depends on the cut. Are you sure you used the correct database entries? That might have something to do with your numbers. Can you open your diary?
  • KwonJiYong69
    Options
    If you want more protein and less fat in your diet, things to look at lean cuts of meat, low fat beans or low fat soy products, fat free milk or Greek yogurt, and if nothing else, protein powder. Just take a look at the label when making purchases to see what the breakdown of fat to protein is.
    I try and avoid milk unless I'm given it at work or college by head chef. I drink coconut but maybe I should swap it for soya milk? Someone pointed out to me pork is high in fat which is what I had
  • KwonJiYong69
    Options
    =
    Open up your diary temporarily and I am sure there will be many people that will be able to help you with some alternatives.
    My relationship with food isn't healthy. I don't feel confident to show it sorry. I am trying to get normal and healthy eating habbits but I'm not near that stage at all yet it takes time i guess
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'd agree if it was nuts bit iisn't fat from other foods saturatedand bad? I stayed in my goal though, so that's one achievement :P
    I think the only bad fat is trans fat.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Have you eaten one meal? Percentages for one meal is kind of irrelevant, it will change as you add more food for the day.

Pork is not necessarily fatty, it depends on the cut - the right cut can be quite lean. Did you eat 64g meat or 64g protein from the pork?

If I'm wanting to focus on getting enough protein, I plan my meals with a protein source first. I then add fats and carbs to fit my numbers. If you're struggling to get enough protein through food, perhaps consider a protein supplement.
  • KwonJiYong69
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not all meat is fatty. I normally eat less than 50g of fat per day and that's including a good amount of cheese. There are lean cuts of beef, such as top round sirloin and I usually have the butcher grind that for me for burgers and stuff. The one I get is usually sold as London Broil. Cut properly and it ends up being great steaks that are easy to portion. Boneless, skinless chicken breast is great, too. You can poach or simmer it in a low cal sauce and that's high in protein. We sometimes simmer it in water and seasonings until it's cooked and the water dries up. Beats roasting it in the oven and comes out juicy. I like ground turkey, too, but the macros are about the same as ground sirloin, so that's more of a taste thing. Some "exotic" cuts are healthy, ostrich, venison, bison, are all lower in fat than most cuts of beef, even some cuts of pork. And when all else fails, there is always fish, with some being leaner than others.

And I agree, open up your diary or post a pic of what you're talking about so we can see what the numbers looks like.
    I actually have no idea how much 50g of fat would be in % of fat in my diet. I'm not good at nnutrition's ( and some how I'm working in a restaurant and on my second year of ccatering? Haha) Someone else suggested chicken too. I think iI'll try stick with that! Thank you for replying to me with so much information! And sorry I never open my diary. Haven't got a healthy relationship with food (trying to change that) so I'mreally not confident in letting other people see
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    =
    My relationship with food isn't healthy. I don't feel confident to show it sorry. I am trying to get normal and healthy eating habbits but I'm not near that stage at all yet it takes time i guess

I would recommend focusing on your relationship with food, then worrying about the rest of it. You're avoiding foods, worrying about what to swap out, and questioning how to lower your fat numbers because someone told you pork is high in fat, without taking into account the type of pork or the amount. Please take care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The problem isn't that you ate a lot of fat or meat. The problem is that you barely eat anything. With quantities this low it's near impossible to balance macros. And also unnecessary, since you aren't getting enough of anything anyway.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    The important thing is that you're moving in the right direction. And finding out about nutrition can take a while, so good job on getting started on that.

Definitely recommend looking up macros and fiber and finding out why each are essential to a healthy you.

Pre logging your day can help out a lot too. You can switch things around in order to see what helps meet your goals.