Add if in similar situation!

Options
Hi! I am trying to gain weight. I have pretty much always been underweight. Doctors have always told me it is just due to a fast metabolism. I am a dancer and despite popular belief, my dance instructors have always encouraged me to gain weight, but nothing seems to work for me. I am 5 foot 9 and I currently weight 110 lbs. I am not anorexic so please don't start saying that. If you're in a similar situation, add me and we can help each other out! If you have any suggestions of ways to gain, please help!

Replies

• arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Seems easy enough to gain, just consume more calories than you burn. Have you tried any weight gain protein drinks ?
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ps: To me, you sound happy & healthy at your current weight. Just sayin'...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    In order to help you gain, look at calorie dense foods such as avocado, nuts, ice cream, cheese, bagels, peanu butter, or even drink some calories.

For the most part people dont have high metabolisms, but I suspect that you burn a ton of calories through dance.

Also, lifting will help you gain some muscle as opposed to all fat. And aiming for around 100g of protein will help.
  • RosellaAltman
    RosellaAltman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi seatle, like you I've been underweight most of my life. My doctor first expressed concern when I was 9, but I've really made it my focus the past 11 years. I am 5' 6" and for several years in my mid-20s, I managed to stay between 111 and 117. Then, about two years ago, I started loosing weight. I gained some weight this summer, but now I'm back down to 100 lbs.
  • posionkiss
    posionkiss Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Same boat, I've always had a fast metabolism and through most of school I was a runner so I was stuck at a pretty consistent weight no matter how much (or little) I ate. I'm 5'6 and around 120lb. I'm working on eating healthy and working out to gain some weight in muscle.