Better abs in 2016

Options
Been working out , more cardio than strength training. Lost 20 of the 30 lbs but want better abs and spare tire to go away. Doing sit-ups, ab carver , planking to melt the fat away so I can have better abs. Any suggestions !
Thanks from NOLA!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose fat
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Exercising abs doesn't "melt" away fat. You're conditioning the muscle underneath, but directly working any area of the body doesn't encourage fat loss in that area any faster. As mentioned, calorie deficit and consistency is what affects fat loss the most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No exercise will melt the fat away. You can have awesome abs, and still be unable to see them.
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I did not mention on protein and veggie dirt , limiting carbs as well
  • edup1975
    Options
    Protein and veggie diet as well
    Thanks for the reply
  • dennissinging
    dennissinging Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Doing the same thing for 2016. Big thing I'm changing is diet, but like you I'm adding in ab exercises since I don't do them regularly enough.
  • edup1975
    Options
    Calorie intake per day is 1200 calories. Fish , chic breast , veggies -
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    edup1975 wrote: »
    I did not mention on protein and veggie dirt , limiting carbs as well
    Which will help with calorie deficit, however unless you plan to low carb for life, "blurry" abs show up again in most cases due to not be a sustainable lifestyle for many. Carbs aren't bad. Over consumption of them is creating a calorie surplus is if you're trying to lose weight or maintain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Specifically compound lifts. Also rotations. Engage the core.
  • edup1975
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    edup1975 wrote: »
    Calorie intake per day is 1200 calories. Fish , chic breast , veggies -

I hope you're about 4'10" and 100 pounds if that's your true calorie intake.
  • speeno
    speeno Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym ;) as has already been said......it's all about the diet :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I disagree with abs being made in the kitchen. You can get as thin as a whip but if you lack muscle you're going to look soft. Yes, a big part of having visible abs is about reaching a certain level of leanness but muscle mass does matter and is lost with extreme caloric deficits. OP is a 48 yo male with the (claimed) intake of a petite dieting sedentary post-menopausal woman. That's extreme and not likely to yield his desired results.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    "48 yo male with the (claimed) intake of a petite dieting sedentary post-menopausal woman."

This made me chuckle. I'll have to file it to use the next time a male says he's eating 1200 calories a day. May be the reason he'll never see able...losing to much muscle.