Having a hard time eating enough!

Options
I've been trying to gain weight for a while, I'm 5'6" and barely 110 pounds. I try and gain weight by lifting but that also means I have to eat a lot more. I am having troubles eating the recommended amount because I just get full fast! Any advice?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If I'm not really hungry, but know I must eat more then I add in spoons of peanut butter. If I can sneak in 5 spoons throughout the day, it adds on 500 extra calories for me without having to feel too stuffed ! You don't have to take all the spoons at one time. Just throughout the day, grab a spoonful several times . by the end of of the day, it will add up .
    Another thing I do is add in a calorie dense drink, like those Starbucks smoothies or a protein shake . you can slowly sip it to add on hundreds of extra calories without the overly full feeling.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy
    Nuts and seeds
    Fatties cuts of meat (beef and pork over chicken for example)
  • morgana1382
    morgana1382 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    If I'm not really hungry, but know I must eat more then I add in spoons of peanut butter. If I can sneak in 5 spoons throughout the day, it adds on 500 extra calories for me without having to feel too stuffed ! You don't have to take all the spoons at one time. Just throughout the day, grab a spoonful several times . by the end of of the day, it will add up .
    Another thing I do is add in a calorie dense drink, like those Starbucks smoothies or a protein shake . you can slowly sip it to add on hundreds of extra calories without the overly full feeling.

Thank you! I will try that!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy
    Nuts and seeds
    Fatties cuts of meat (beef and pork over chicken for example)

This is also a good idea! One small package of trail mix is about 560 cals ( every brand will be different just using my fav as example ) I can munch on it while driving to work, and add on the 560 cals without even feeling filled up or stuffed. Its a tasty treat and packs a lot of calories ! Easy to eat, no prep time and tasty !
  • ctyankee9
    ctyankee9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Possibly the prepared drinks, Ensure or whichever you like. Not filling, but adds quite a few calories in a single drink as well as some nutrients. I'm not a dietitian or anything, but many people swear by them for a reasonable way to gain.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Dried Fruit, avocados, bagels, ice cream.......
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can also use fatty cuts of meat, fish, olive oil or coconut oil on foods or marinades, drink some calories (milk or protein shake), or cheese.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Lots of good fats will help as will other calorie dense foods. Some have already been mentioned: nuts, seeds, oil based dressings, avocados, boiled eggs, nut butters, use good oils for stir-fries, cheese, full fat milk and yoghurts..
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - reduce carbs to 110/day, and increase healthy fats. :)
  • yoaxeen
    yoaxeen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've found that liquid calories for me are far easier to consume. I usually do 2 main meals + 2 shakes a day and I can hit 3000 calories that way. My shakes are 500ml whole milk, 3/4 scoop of serious mass (optimum nutrition), 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 scoop instant oats. That's nearly 1200 calories!
  • cecil857
    cecil857 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Tried forever to gain weight and never happened cause I was never getting in the calories needed to fuel the gains . This time around I decided to give it an Olympic go and am doing all the things I should have done the other times but didn't. Started using a weight gainer ( mutant mass from pvl) mixed with another protine powder (gnc whey iso burst) to boost the protine made with whole milk and soy milk. Twice a day puts in well over 2500 extra calories. Also started taking creatine vitamins minerals fish oils and hitting the gym working out 6 days a week
  • davidsnewsham
    davidsnewsham Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Make sure your spreading your food, supplements etc across the day ie having about 6 meals per day