Any good way to loose love handles

Options
56 yr old male,,at a good weight...workout everyday,,,bike,run,tabatas...7 days a week...I do eat carbs,,,,cant seems to loose the flab handles

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating carbs, but you need to be eating in a calorie deficit
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weighing and logging your food would be a good place to start..... you have to be in a calorie deficit to lose fat.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce unfortunately, so as the others above mentioned you need to eat at a calorie deficit. Carbs wont have much affect on it.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    cvcman wrote: »
    56 yr old male,,at a good weight...workout everyday,,,bike,run,tabatas...7 days a week...I do eat carbs,,,,cant seems to loose the flab handles

You will have to run a deficit in the CICO equation (Calories In vs. Calories Out) until they disappear. Usually, if you have love handles showing it is a sign there is still visceral fat in and around your organs in the upper body (which is the dangerous kind for us men).

As mentioned above, no way to spot reduce. You'll just have to lose more weight until those handles go away. I had to lose about 20 pounds total to get rid of them in 2014 when I dropped from 187 down to sub 170 (I'm 6'4") and they were gone at that point. It took me from the first week of January to April (4 months) to shed them running a calorie deficit.

Well worth it if you can be patient and "nibble" away at them on a weekly basis.

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you don't want to lose more if you are at a good weight...you might look at doing a body recomp
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Carbs have nothing to do with love handles . carbs don't cause people to gain fat. Overeating does.
    If you'd like to lose weight, eat at a deficit. If you'd like to improve your physique, I would suggest a progressive lifting program
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the tire around the belly is usually to last to go for men. The only way to do it is to reduce your overall body fat, sometimes to the point where you'll look "too thin" to others. Congrats on your workout schedule. It does seem to be all cardio. You might benefit by mixing in some progressive weight lifting to your workouts.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Maybe a better question is what body fat percentage range do most guys need to be at to eliminate the stomach and/or love handles? Once I get to normal range BMI my goal is going to be more oriented toward BF than overall weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Maybe a better question is what body fat percentage range do most guys need to be at to eliminate the stomach and/or love handles? Once I get to normal range BMI my goal is going to be more oriented toward BF than overall weight.

Depends on your genetics. Some guys will lose them up around 15% BF, others won't lose them until they're at 10% BF or lower. Either way, the gut/love handles are the last place to go for a lot of guys.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - cut the carbs to 110/day. Keep calories deficit, and burn the fat. :)
  • guslandrum
    guslandrum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lost mine at around 14-15% BF. Had to go well below my target weight to hit that BF. Recomping now.