Any female lifters? Need a bit of guidance...

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Started strong lifts 5X5 last week. Never lifted before, but I am loving it.

That's great Dani! Go you!
  • fat2fitvegan
    fat2fitvegan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do Starting Strength, and his recommendation for finding a beginner weight for your first workout is to warm up with the empty bar and then add 5-10 lbs at a time, do 5 reps, and then once you start to slow down a bit, that becomes the work set for the first session and you will increase from there. With programs like SS and SL, it's better to start off more conservative because of the increase in weight you'll be making with each workout, and it's better to get your form down now while the weight is still relatively light than face any form issues that could lead to injury down the road with heavier weights. Also when women do these programs, or if you're eating at a calorie deficit, you won't always be making 10 lb increases with each workout. You might only be able to add on 5 lbs to your previous work set, which is fine. For Starting Strength, women will make progress by 10 lbs on the squat and 15-20 lbs on the deadlift for the first few weeks, but usually only 5 lbs for the press, bench press, power clean, and any assistance exercises, and if you stall at all or are struggling to get the last work set or reps, err on the side of caution and only increase by 5 lbs instead of 10 lbs.
    The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I do Starting Strength, and his recommendation for finding a beginner weight for your first workout is to warm up with the empty bar and then add 5-10 lbs at a time, do 5 reps, and then once you start to slow down a bit, that becomes the work set for the first session and you will increase from there. With programs like SS and SL, it's better to start off more conservative because of the increase in weight you'll be making with each workout, and it's better to get your form down now while the weight is still relatively light than face any form issues that could lead to injury down the road with heavier weights. Also when women do these programs, or if you're eating at a calorie deficit, you won't always be making 10 lb increases with each workout. You might only be able to add on 5 lbs to your previous work set, which is fine. For Starting Strength, women will make progress by 10 lbs on the squat and 15-20 lbs on the deadlift for the first few weeks, but usually only 5 lbs for the press, bench press, power clean, and any assistance exercises, and if you stall at all or are struggling to get the last work set or reps, err on the side of caution and only increase by 5 lbs instead of 10 lbs.
    The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

Thanks for this @fat2fitvegan it's very instructive indeed. I'm not very strong so it didn't took longer to find out whats my starting weight. :)
  • Sevasti_Titi
    Sevasti_Titi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone above suggesting Stronglifts 5x5. That is what I started with. It helps you with the basics and then you can move on to more Intermediate programs (like Push,Pull,Legs) after you get a hang of the lifts. I was pretty successful with these two programs. I ended up gaining 20lbs of muscle with in about 9 months.
    Plus the 5x5 programs have informational videos that demonstrate all the lifts. They also have an app you can out on your phone to track your workouts.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    I agree with everyone above suggesting Stronglifts 5x5. That is what I started with. It helps you with the basics and then you can move on to more Intermediate programs (like Push,Pull,Legs) after you get a hang of the lifts. I was pretty successful with these two programs. I ended up gaining 20lbs of muscle with in about 9 months.
    Plus the 5x5 programs have informational videos that demonstrate all the lifts. They also have an app you can out on your phone to track your workouts.

Thanks for your message. Agree, Stronglifts 5x5 is very helpful for a beginner like me.

It has been two weeks since I began and I love it. I was just wondering when I can expect to start seeing a difference in my body. I would imagine it would take at least six months or even more.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    In week one I gained almost a pound (but going down now). I thought I would share the advice I was given and hopefully help other beginners like me. It was written by someone called Chalene Johnson.

"Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight loss. However, what most personal trainers know and most at-home exercisers do not, is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained: When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated in those first couple of weeks become discouraged and quit!
    The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!!

When to be concerned: If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) which does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is??? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! You're food (or calorie laden beverages). Newsflash friends.. exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight!

So if after two weeks you are not losing weight, have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. It's time to find out what you're burning in calories each day. Have your RMR or BMR tested."
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »

Thanks for your message. Agree, Stronglifts 5x5 is very helpful for a beginner like me.

It has been two weeks since I began and I love it. I was just wondering when I can expect to start seeing a difference in my body. I would imagine it would take at least six months or even more.

You'll see little changes over time. It's not going to be immediately magical, but you will begin to FEEL great and strong right away (I hope).
  • mmnv79
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

You'll see little changes over time. It's not going to be immediately magical, but you will begin to FEEL great and strong right away (I hope).

I'll go for my Body Composition Analyzers health check next summer. I've one recently and I'm lookin forward to the next one. Must say, mentally I feel much better plus I'm meeting so many people. I can't believe I was embarrassed. Seems so unreal to me now because all the "veterans" are so helpful and encouraging. Thanks a lot for all your help.