Real VS false weight gain

Options

Replies

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    That sounds reasonable. :)

Though I'd say every day's weight is real. Fluctuations are real, too. :smile:
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated with fluctuations, too. When I only lose a half pound a week, 'normal' 2 pound fluctuations are really discouraging. To deal with it, I've been using an app called HappyScale on my iPhone. (There is another called Libra for Android. Or you could do the math yourself.)

I weigh myself every morning and enter the weight into HappyScale. It gives me my average weight and some other stats based on averages of weights over time. It basically removes the noise of the fluctuations. Seeing an average really helps keep me on track and encouraged. There is a graph so I can tell if my weight is trending up or down over time (I aim for DOWN!).
  • DianePK
    DianePK Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuations can do your head in. Just wait till the Christmas overeating dust settles in a weeks and see where you are.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    It just makes me wonder since I did't track "everything" :#
    So eat at maintenance maybe a little less, wait one week and then what my weight is will be more real and I'll know what to do next...right?

Eat at maintenance (not less). Wait and see if you really gained and deal with it then. This is a great time to experiment and find out how your body works.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is that you might want to loss 1-2 pounds. You know how to do that. The best thing that could happen is that you learn that you can thoroughly enjoy occasional events without worrying about putting permanent weight on. That sounds like a worthwhile thing to find out!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I really recommend having a weight 'zone' that you stay in that includes your fluctuations. So my zone is 150-155. My fluctuations are around 2 pounds. Last year I was 156-157 for a few weeks so went on a 250 calorie deficit until I got back into it.
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    It just makes me wonder since I did't track "everything" :#
    So eat at maintenance maybe a little less, wait one week and then what my weight is will be more real and I'll know what to do next...right?

Eat at maintenance (not less). Wait and see if you really gained and deal with it then. This is a great time to experiment and find out how your body works.

The absolute worst thing that could happen is that you might want to loss 1-2 pounds. You know how to do that. The best thing that could happen is that you learn that you can thoroughly enjoy occasional events without worrying about putting permanent weight on. That sounds like a worthwhile thing to find out!

I agree! Well said!! Great time to experiment. A good learning experience!

My goal has been to maintain for the past 2 weeks and I succeeded. Its given me confidence for the future for when I switch to eating at maintenance. I'm back to eating at defecit now and have 4 more kg to lose. Ive decided to do the same again at Easter. Eat some chocolate and hot cross buns for the week of Easter and then go back to my defecit and my usual way of eating. I dont normally eat chocolate as its addictive for me. I felt out of control for a while there over Christmas but was able to regain control by going cold turkey just fine. This I feel is the key to keeping me sane. When I'm at goal weight I also plan to have small slices of birthday cake at family gatherings which occur half dozen times a year. You have to live a little sometimes!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Give it a week and you'll see true, if any gain...average gain for holiday eating for me is 2lbs ....I'll increase deficit over a few weeks and ramp up my workouts which will see that gain history.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok I can wait and see...thanks :)
  • bfanny
    Options
    On the bright side, my loose jeans are still loose, and I'm down 1lb from Friday...
  • WillowKat2
    WillowKat2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread everyone - I had my first weight gain this morning after adding exercise to my routine to lose the last 5 kilos and was completely thrown. Am going to drink a lot of water today and just keep going. :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    You may have eaten a lot of sodium during the holidays. Keep working out and drinking water and see what the next couple weeks bring. Then you can decide if you need to make any changes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations on daily basis are completely normal ...
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    its_betty wrote: »
    There is a graph so I can tell if my weight is trending up or down over time (I aim for DOWN!).
    You can get a graph here, too, and an look at a week, a month, and I think 6 months, 90 days, a year and all. Look under "reports".
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    So I got to my lower weight of 135 right before Christmas (2 weeks) however on the 25 my weight was 137 and today 141 :( I didn't track everything but still seems like a lot! So how do I go from here? Back to losing mode? Normal maintaining?
    About how many days the weight starts to settle to know for sure how much is real? In other words when do I start to panic? LOL
    Thanks! Happy New Year

You were probably dehydrated when you weighed 135. Just keep doing what you are doing....If you lose weight consistently then keep doing what you are doing. If you stay the same either exercise more or eat less.....Same if you gain.
  • ladybosie
    ladybosie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    So many things can affect weight--always make sure to weigh yourself in the morning, before you've eaten/drank anything, and when you know your bowels are fairly empty. For women, don't weigh yourselves when you know your period's coming soon! Your period makes you retain water, and that lining in your uterus makes a difference too. When I'm getting close to my period, I can weigh as much as 7 lbs heavier. I also know food takes awhile to get through my system, so if I ate, say, a holiday meal(s), that's gonna throw the number off.
  • bfanny
    Options
    It's been a week eating at maintainance and my weight is pretty much the same! So it IS possible to gain 5 lbs in one week???
  • bfanny
    Options

You were probably dehydrated when you weighed 135. Just keep doing what you are doing....If you lose weight consistently then keep doing what you are doing. If you stay the same either exercise more or eat less.....Same if you gain.
    [/quote]

...or this :'(

• bfanny
    Options
    ladybosie wrote: »
    So many things can affect weight--always make sure to weigh yourself in the morning, before you've eaten/drank anything, and when you know your bowels are fairly empty. For women, don't weigh yourselves when you know your period's coming soon! Your period makes you retain water, and that lining in your uterus makes a difference too. When I'm getting close to my period, I can weigh as much as 7 lbs heavier. I also know food takes awhile to get through my system, so if I ate, say, a holiday meal(s), that's gonna throw the number off.

And then again there IS hope ;)

• Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You would weigh different on the equator and the north pole. Did you do a lot of traveling?
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I usually gain about 4 - 6 lb over Xmas and New Year. the first week to 10 days I "lose" 3lb, and the rest takes another week to 10 days to come off, but that varies a lot. Basically, it's probably water retention and once you go back to your normal routine things will work out ok.