ways to stop soda and sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I find when I'm getting plenty of water that I don't really crave soda. I add flavor with Crystal Light or Mio. You can get caffinated flavors, too.

I've often wondered what the difference is between Crystal Light and diet soda. Both use the same sweetener, and both can be caffeinated. Other than the bubbles, they're very similar. So ... why is Crystal Light preferable to diet soda?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Crystal light and mio have more artificial sweeteners than diet soda
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    I find when I'm getting plenty of water that I don't really crave soda. I add flavor with Crystal Light or Mio. You can get caffinated flavors, too.

I've often wondered what the difference is between Crystal Light and diet soda. Both use the same sweetener, and both can be caffeinated. Other than the bubbles, they're very similar. So ... why is Crystal Light preferable to diet soda?

I didn't realize we were specifying diet soda. I like it over regular soda because 0 calories.
  • aprayer
    aprayer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    New findings states artificial sugars actually increase ones sweet cravings. When I stopped drinking soda's the first thing I noticed I stopped suffering body aches and stiffness after the first week. The next improvements were my skin went from dull and blotchy to soft dewy, my hair looked so much livelier, and became shinny and more manageable. Then I searched pros and cons of drinking sodas on the internet, let me say there is plenty to be learned by reading up on the products we put in our bodies Have a happy and healthy new year. For me, sodas prevented me from wanting water. Now I just naturally crave a fresh clean drink of water when the body needs hydration and it taste so wonderful now.
  • tns56364
    tns56364 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Here is a good drink that is healthy, very low in calories, and very little sugar...

drinkbai.com/bai5

I second that! I love these.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »

I didn't realize we were specifying diet soda. I like it over regular soda because 0 calories.

We maybe weren't in this case, though several people suggested switching to diet soda. I guess I've just seen so many times that people want to quit any soda and are given Crystal Light as a suggestion, and I wonder what the difference there is.

FTR, I drink both diet soda and Crystal Light, so I have no issue with either. I'm just curious.
    aprayer wrote: »
    New findings states artificial sugars actually increase ones sweet cravings. When I stopped drinking soda's the first thing I noticed I stopped suffering body aches and stiffness after the first week. The next improvements were my skin went from dull and blotchy to soft dewy, my hair looked so much livelier, and became shinny and more manageable. Then I searched pros and cons of drinking sodas on the internet, let me say there is plenty to be learned by reading up on the products we put in our bodies Have a happy and healthy new year. For me, sodas prevented me from wanting water. Now I just naturally crave a fresh clean drink of water when the body needs hydration and it taste so wonderful now.

The research hasn't produced a causal link. There have been some correlations between diet soda and increased calories, but there are so many confounding factors not controlled for in most of those, that it is not yet possible to find any kind of causation. In fact, most of what I read is more along the lines of "common sense" of it tastes sweet, so the body releases insulin; that aspect has been specifically studied and at least one study found that there was no increase in insulin response without actual carbohydrates (or proteins). From anecdotal responses just here on fitnesspal, it seems that some people feel increase cravings for sugar, and others don't.

So, if you feel fine drinking diet soda or other artificial flavors, and it helps you curb cravings for another treat, then go ahead and drink it. If you prefer not to, that's fine too. (I wonder how much of your improvements were from increased water or other factors, although some people are sensitive to something or another in soda/diet drinks)

(edited because I really know the difference between causal and casual, but my fingers apparently don't :tongue: )
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I drink Crystal Light a lot instead of pop. I found that I had to quit cold turkey to break the habit a d eventually I was able to add it back in sporadically tho I will still only by single serving cans at walgreens or 7 11. I still don't trust myself to keep it on the house. I do find that I don't get the same satisfaction from it and I sip it more than gulp it.
  • heatherbutterworth108
    Options
    Yeah i do like this to drink too.
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Here is a good drink that is healthy, very low in calories, and very little sugar...

drinkbai.com/bai5

• heatherbutterworth108
    Options
    Yeah i do drink alot of tea too
    Try green tea? You might really like it. Bigelow brand is good. Leave the cheap stuff alone.