What I wish I knew when I was just starting out

Options

Replies

• KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew, or better, I had understood myself I can do IIFYM still minding CICO with a healthy approach and that I don't have to eat things I don't want just cos they fit xD

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    • Clean eating, detox, and 1200 calorie days are not required to lose the weight.
    • You really do have to weigh everything and know exactly what you are eating to make the weight go down.
    • Don't cut out anything that you can't cut out forever - make changes that you can sustain for life.
    • Incorporate heavy lifting as early as you can to maintain lean muscle and see greater measurement progress.
    • Listen to the people who have been here a long time. You might not like what they say but they have been through it and are trying to help.

All of this!
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    -To know one bad day is just that...One bad day!
    -To be happy with myself at all stages. Weight loss is great, but it will not bring you 100% happiness. That is in us.
    -The number on the scale is just that...a number. How we exercise might be making us weight a bit more, but we are gaining strength
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Great discussion so I figured I would *bump* this
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You'll find it easier and more fun if you learn to like vegetables, or at least some vegetables. Find ways to cook them that you like, or some place to buy them. There's no reason all of them (or any of them) have to be salads, unless you like salads.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The mentality of it all .... it's all normal. Until I came to these boards, I thought I was the only one who re-gained because I struggled to identify to a smaller size. That 3500 calories over each week is a heck of a lot of calories, so the fluctuations I see are not 'permanent' but attributable to other factors. It's unbelievable how many times I have to correct my 'first line of thinking' when it comes to food, weight and success.
  • guacamole2
    guacamole2 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I set my calories to maintenance on mfp and don't eat my exercise calories. Eating several small meals helps me with my hunger levels. Eat fat for satiety, stay away from low fat. Don't be afraid to try new things. Failure is what makes you learn what really works for you so embrace it.
  • thebestyear2017
    thebestyear2017 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd known to throw away the free copy of the South Beach Diet that came with Cosmopolitan. Much to my delight at the time, I went from 10st7lbs to 8st2lbs at 5ft6 in about 3 months. I was 16, and became so obsessed with my weight that I had a borderline eating disorder (I would run for an hour before allowing myself celery and dip as a snack). My mother had no idea what I was doing, and I trusted the gods of Cosmo implicitly!

Of course I could not maintain as I was soon to head to uni, and I found that high carb was too expensive/restrictive for me as a humble student. It's taken numerous failed re-attempts of SBD, over the course of a decade, to realise that I don't have to diet to lose weight. It's not an all or nothing process for me, and that I'm so much happier and more liberated if I can eat everything in moderation.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    1. Stick to your macros, this will ensure your CICO is correct and you are satiated
    2. Eat mostly nutritious whole foods, micros count as well
    3. Exericise in some way, lifting, cardio, kettlebells whatever floats your boat
    4. Stay consistent on points 1, 2, and 3, there are no easy paths
  • AmandaLawter
    AmandaLawter Posts: 55 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    These are the myths I wish I would've ignored-

Carbs are bad they make people gain fat - myth( some people with medical conditions may need to worry about carbs ) but carbs do not cause people to gain or prevent them from losing.

You must eat only 1200 to lose- myth
    ( I suffered for a while be cause I believed I had to starve to lose ,its not true . again, if someone was very old and very short then maybe they would have to eat 1200 but I'm neither )

Its all about the scale - myth.
    I've saw people at 110 lbs look terrible, loose hanging skin and flab ! And I've saw people at 180lbs with abs ! So its not all about just seeing a loss on the scale. Those people that are only concerned with seeing a fast loss, may be in for a rude awakening once they hit goal weight. Incorporate a strength training program early and slow and steady weight loss !

So save yourselves the grief and don't believe the myths. For weight loss, cico ! Don't fear carbs. There's some evangelists on here that will claim keto and low carb cures every ailment and caused them to lose tons of weight. Don't be fooled by these derpers , they are as crazy as they sound !

YES to all of this! I was going to say all these exact same things, and you beat me to it! It took me a whole year to figure all this out.

For 2017, I started taking measurements/pictures, started eating MORE and started lifting weights. I hid my scales and only weigh once or twice a month. Obsessing over my weight reeeeeally stressed me out! I feel better so far in 2017 than I EVER did in 2016!
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew I didn't have to do an extreme diet or make myself miserable during this process. I would have slowed down and enjoyed myself more
  • tlsb2016
    tlsb2016 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Don’t believe the calories burned on ellipticals or MFP database. Buy a device with a heart rate monitor to help measure your calorie burn more accurately so you know how many exercise calories you can eat and still lose.
  • heckyea
    heckyea Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    eat more protein! I thought the way to lose weight was to eat only low-cal foods composed of mostly water, so I just ate salads and soups and got hungry an hour later, then I'd binge or eat more salad or soup until I was over. I look back at my diary from months ago and I want to smack myself bc my calories were over but I had only eaten like half of my protein. eat more protein!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!