vacuuming an in-ground pool

Options
Does anyone have any idea how many calories you burn while vacuuming an in-ground pool. If any of you have done it, it is quite straining; it must count for something, right? :smile:

Replies

• pagraber
    pagraber Posts: 5
    Options
    I know I only burn a couple of calories for throwing my PoolCritter cleaner in the pool and letting it do all the work.
  • jenbleyes
    jenbleyes Posts: 10
    Options
    How long do you spend doing this??
  • clovebud
    clovebud Posts: 15
    Options
    sometimes a good hour
  • jenbleyes
    jenbleyes Posts: 10
    Options
    Below is an article I found that might help answer your question. If you read down a bit you'll see where it gives you an idea how many calories you might burn for different types of activities. These numbers are based on a woman who is 130lbs though so if you weigh more then you would burn more. But it's a good baseline. Like the article states, even though you are in fact burning calories, this type of activity does not constitute a cardio workout. You have to get your heart rate up for 30 minutes a day/5 days a week. Also, keep in mind that you might be sweating a ton, but that could be more so because you are outside in the heat and not necessarily because you are working really hard. I know that I can be doing light yardwork like pulling weeds and sweat my butt off but it's just because it's really hot outside....not because i'm working hard. Just something to think about. ***********************

Physical activity simply means movement of the body that uses energy. Walking, gardening, briskly pushing a baby stroller, climbing the stairs, playing soccer, or dancing the night away are all good examples of being active.

For health benefits, physical activity should be moderate or vigorous and add up to at least 30 minutes a day.

Some physical activities are not intense enough to help you meet the recommendations. These include walking at a casual pace, such as while grocery shopping, and doing light household chores. Although you are moving, these activities do not increase your heart rate, so you should not count these towards the 30 or more minutes a day that you should strive for.

Moderate physical activities include:

Walking briskly (about 3 ½ miles per hour)
    Hiking
    Gardening/yard work
    Dancing
    Golf (walking and carrying clubs)
    Bicycling (less than 10 miles per hour)
    Weight training (general light workout)
    Vigorous physical activities include:

Running/jogging (5 miles per hour)
    Bicycling (more than 10 miles per hour)
    Swimming (freestyle laps)
    Aerobics
    Walking very fast (4 ½ miles per hour)
    Heavy yard work, such as chopping wood
    Weight lifting (vigorous effort)
    Basketball (competitive)
    How many calories does physical activity use?
    A 130-pound woman will use up about the number of calories listed doing each activity below. Those who weigh more will use more calories, and those who weigh less will use fewer. The calorie values listed include both calories used by the activity and the calories used for normal body functioning. Approximate calories used by a 130-lb. woman In 1 hour

Moderate physical activities:

Hiking 350
    Dancing 265
    Golf (walking and carrying clubs) 265
    Light gardening/yardwork 236
    Bicycling (less than 10 mph) 236
    Walking (3 ½ miles per hour) 224
    Weight training (light workout) 177

Vigorous physical activities:

Running/jogging (5 mph) 472
    Bicycling (12 to 14 mph) 472
    Basketball (competitive) 472