Daily intake of water

Options
Hi guys,

what is the daily intake of water? is 1.5 litres alright?
Cos it is said that one should drink 8 glasses of water a day (around 2 litres) but I can't drink that much.

Thank you.

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is just a rough estimate. The info I found is take your weight in pounds divide in half and that is the number of ounces you should drink (or the same number of kgs if you weigh in kgs). If you are in an extreme climate (heat or cold) you should be drinking more also 1 cup for every hour of exercise you do.

If you are not used to drinking that much you can gradually increase until you are comfortable. Drink 5 cups everyday this week. Next week 6 cups etc etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    However much hydrates you. It's rare that I get over 48 ounces, especially as I'm not able to drink on the job. But I feel fine and watch to make sure I'm not dehydrated.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is your urine pale straw?

That's ok then
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

That's ok then

That sounds like it would be painful. :wink:
  • jessetfan
    jessetfan Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I probably drink over a gallon of water most days, but I think I drink more than is typical.
  • Iguessicandothis
    Iguessicandothis Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

That's ok then

Lol

I remember watching Oprah years ago, and she stated that urine should be the color of "water, with a lemon squeezed in it". It sounded so elegant, I always think of that when I pee!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Remember that you don't have to drink plain, boring water to count towards your 'water' intake. Non caffeinated beverages count toward your intake. I drink a lot of decaf tea with a splash of lemon.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

That's ok then

Snigger
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think water recommendations are mostly nonsensical. However, having a glass of liquid before I eat helps me eat less, whether it's water (actually seltzer water) or coffee. I'm thirsty after I work out, and usually drink a lot of water then.

P.S. Empirical data have shown that caffeinated beverages are not dehydrating. Alcoholic beverages are actually dehydrating, so a glass of wine doesn't count.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    wise_wind wrote: »
    Hi guys,

what is the daily intake of water? is 1.5 litres alright?
    Cos it is said that one should drink 8 glasses of water a day (around 2 litres) but I can't drink that much.

Thank you.

1.5 litres might be enough for you. We get water from fruits, soups, and other foods and drinks, including coffee.

• KwonJiYong69
    KwonJiYong69 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drink like 2.5-3ltrs of water a day. But I get really grumpy if I'm dehydrated also I have a fear of coloured pee (?) Its just something that makes me anxious. Now I'm just in the habbit of drinking a lot of water. But it works for me. If you feel dehydrated then drink more, if you feel hydrated - you can't be doing much wrong.
  • ChristerHaugsoen
    ChristerHaugsoen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    64 ounces of water may seem daunting but if you start your day with two glasses, two glasses at lunch and two at diner your only two off for the rest of the day. Helps you eat less too. Also, 8 ounces is quite small. Typical glasses are 12.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    Remember that you don't have to drink plain, boring water to count towards your 'water' intake. Non caffeinated beverages count toward your intake. I drink a lot of decaf tea with a splash of lemon.

Caffeinated beverages count too. Studies have shown that the diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal and doesn't offset the liquid taken in.

As to the OP, it depends. Somebody who works outdoors all day long in the heat and/or exercises vigorously is going to have higher hydration needs than somebody who sits in an air conditioned office all day, then goes home and watches tv on the couch. Hot/cold/humid/dry climates, sweat output, etc. - all factor in. The old "8 glasses" thing is a gross overgeneralization. If you're drinking enough water that your urine is pale/straw colored, you're fine.