Weight Gain Help

Options
I am 6'3" 180. I am a type 2 Diabetic. How much protein should I be getting daily? I am on 3400 Calories/day.

Replies

• mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    depending on ur goals, i am always getting about 1.5grams per pound w/o powders, cause I like protein products, but 1 gram is good enough.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I would aim for 200-220 grams of protein per day. You should be more concerned about the kind of carbs you eat given your condition. Slow burning carbs should be the only kind of carbs you consume. But you consult a nutritionist expert.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You'd be best off asking your doctor about that. Protein causes a blood glucose spike very similar to carbohydrates, so an excess of protein could be just as bad as an excess of carbs.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think more than 200 g of protein is somewhat excessive. You don't need that much. I do agree with memo about the types of carbs. Guys tell me if I'm mistaken, but Typically it's advised to have about 1g/lb of body weight so for you it would be about 180-200 g of protein per day. Don't fear eating fat either. Especially being that you need to watch your carbs, up the fat, but healthy fats. Peanut butter, olive oil, any oils, nuts, avocados, eggs, milk (whole milk), coupled with fatty meats like red meat, salmon, dark meat chicken, and yes you want to watch your cholesterol too as that may interfere with your diagnosis of DM type II. I would absolutely ask your primary doc to consult with a dietitian, hopefully one that has knowledge of gaining muscle, weight lifting, etc.. I also think 3400 calories is a bit excessive.

I've learned that it's never good to do things in extreme. I used to be really skinny, but now while I have muscle, I have some excess fat that I never had before. Start with 2800 per day and see how that goes if you gain weight too quickly you'll put on more fat than muscle and then you'll want to lose the fat. Aim for about 0.5 lb gain per week or even every 2 weeks, take your time, don't rush, ALL OF THIS TAKES TIME! and unless you want to use steroids (which I highly recommend given that you're DM II that you don't) be patient!
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    A gram per lb of bodyweight is good. I don't really agree in terms of relating the glucose spike from protein compared to carbs, as carbs are metabolized into glucose and are also digested a lot faster than protein, where protein is zero carb and is released/ digested a lot slower. Just follow your guidelines for being a diabetic, but increase protein sources from meats, fish, any low carb proteins...etc.
  • rsandler85
    rsandler85 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone posting. Very helpful!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    A gram per lb of bodyweight is good. I don't really agree in terms of relating the glucose spike from protein compared to carbs, as carbs are metabolized into glucose and are also digested a lot faster than protein, where protein is zero carb and is released/ digested a lot slower. Just follow your guidelines for being a diabetic, but increase protein sources from meats, fish, any low carb proteins...etc.

Disagree all you want to, but facts are facts. Read this research review by James Krieger - specifically, scroll down to the paragraph entitled FACT: Protein is a potent stimulator of insulin too. Pay particular attention to the charts which show the BG/insulin response to proteins vs. carbs.