• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen'

1. Eat whole foods as best you can.
    2. Exercise as best you can
    3. Lift weights to build a strong body, as best you can.
    4. Stick to your calorie goal through the simple CICO formula.

For most people on this board, that will be sufficient.

Sorry for any misunderstanding, it really wasn't deigned to be.

And sorry for offending anyone

I think the whole foods point gets lost a lot here on MFP. Essentially now though I have veered to the do what works for you as long as its reasonably healthy. Reasonably healthy is subjective, for me it means sustainable for the long term, don't 'starve yourself', think of your health and not just your weight, have health goals other than just the scales. I am quite open minded as to what other people consider reasonably healthy whether it is primal/paleo, lchf, meal replacements, cico, WW, elimination of trigger foods, etc.

Valuable lesson learned hey, unless you speak the same language of those who most frequent and post on the boards most, your threads will get lost in semantics
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen'

I think the whole foods point gets lost a lot here on MFP. Essentially now though I have veered to the do what works for you as long as its reasonably healthy. Reasonably healthy is subjective, for me it means sustainable for the long term, don't 'starve yourself', think of your health and not just your weight, have health goals other than just the scales. I am quite open minded as to what other people consider reasonably healthy whether it is primal/paleo, lchf, meal replacements, cico, WW, elimination of trigger foods, etc.

Valuable lesson learned hey, unless you speak the same language of those who most frequent and post on the boards most, your threads will get lost in semantics.

Yeah I agree, thanks!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Ladies and gentlemen'

I know it now just seems common sense to carry out numbers 1 - 4 but in reality without science we wouldn't know how to do Numbers 1 -4.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen'

Well--why didn't you just say so in the beginning? This is not a revolutionary finding.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    We have an obesity epidemic because we have time and labour saving devices, no need to forage for food, and can acquire excellently tasting food in vast quantities for less money than you can shake a stick at.

Point out to me the ancestor who day in/day our could find 5000 calories to gobble for less than a half hour's worth of effort.

Because we can and DO!

Is that true?

Nothing to do potentially with being insulin resistance from unnatural levels of sugar we eat? [/]

I now understand where you're coming from.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen'

Should have started with just this.

I was thinking I was doing it all wrong and was ready to have clients dress up in animal skins, carry some clubs and spears and take them out hunting all day. Oh and eating once a day too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen'

That makes sense for all WOEs and health needs.

Valuable lesson learned hey, unless you speak the same language of those who most frequent and post on the boards most, your threads will get lost in semantics
    No kidding.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Well I'd rather eat organic food than twinkies, cos as my thread pointed out, going back to the natural way AS BEST WE CAN, man

That's great, for you. But a lot of us prefer to have a balance and fit those twinkies in if we fancy them. Well we don't have twinkies here in the UK, but insert available cakey-snack thing here ;)

I'm from the UK

And you find Twinkies available? :o

Round these parts they are only found in those over priced speciality American food shops :(

Completely agree!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What is even going on in here???
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Looks like a "360" to me. LMAO.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    It's not rocket science, this food science stuff :p Sufficient calories, sufficient macro and micro nutrients, sufficient fluid, sufficient exercise = optimum body function, plus or minus genetic pre-disposition to illnesses, exposures to illness-producing pathogens, and blind luck.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    It's not rocket science, this food science stuff :p Sufficient calories, sufficient macro and micro nutrients, sufficient fluid, sufficient exercise = optimum body function, plus or minus genetic pre-disposition to illnesses, exposures to illness-producing pathogens, and blind luck.

That's it. You win @ MFP.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    If anything, I think it's imperative that each and every person know the mechanism behind weight management; specifically, calories, micros, and macros. In addition they should know how to chop/prepare/cook/store food safely.

I feel it's ignorant to say "come on guys! Just eat like our ancestors, stay active, and you'll be fine!"

Firstly, we know specific nutrients are needed in our diets now. We know that because we likely burn less overall calories finding out of caloric range is important. We know that most food is more calorically dense and less and less people have the skills to cook and prepare food from scratch.

I believe learning the science behind why and how it works is KEY in helping the modern day person avoid diet scams, fat logic, chronic diseases, and of course the inability to regulate their body weight.

Does it have to be complicated? No. But once the information is clear and concise I don't think we can really see progress towards this "obesity epidemic" as you say.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The science is fun, and necessary for helping people who have diabetes and other metabolic disorders. On a personal level, understanding the science can help you trick your brain into eating less and exercising more.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've never seen so many people miss the point and take offense to something so simple.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    owen1826 wrote: »
    I've never seen so many people miss the point and take offense to something so simple.

You must be smarter then the rest of us.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    owen1826 wrote: »

No one is taking offense. This isn't personal. It's just a reaction to all the trendy ancestral diets out there that propose arbitrary rules based on faulty theories, but when he puts it likes this, stripped of all the woo, it's actually quite reasonable.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ladies and gentlemen'

I agree with this, but not your title - I think you might have confused "the health and fitness industry" with "science". Health and fitness magazines, news media reporting on scientific studies, supplement companies, blogs, celebrity trainers, diet books, doctors with TV shows, etc are NOT science. As is often said on these boards, the science is CICO, eat less - move more. The science IS helpful, the industry noise is not.