Earned extra calories

Options
i am concerned when i exercise the number of calories burned are added into my calorie budget as a addition is it ok? and if it is then someone explain me the logic

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP sets you a calorie goal with a deficit in, which doesn't include exercise, so when you exercise, you can eat those calories (or a portion of them if you aren't sure of accuracy).
  • PrincessLaiba
    PrincessLaiba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks you both it was of great help
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    AND, you need to find out specifically how many calories you're burning.

If you're using the calories on a machine (treadmill, elliptical, etc.) or MFP's estimate DO NOT EAT ALL OF THESE BACK!!!

They are wildly inaccurate (sometimes estimating 2x more than I've really burned!). If you eat these back it is very likely you are undoing your calorie deficit.

In my opinion, unless you are using a heart rate monitor, do not eat them back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    AND, you need to find out specifically how many calories you're burning.

If you're using the calories on a machine (treadmill, elliptical, etc.) or MFP's estimate DO NOT EAT ALL OF THESE BACK!!!

They are wildly inaccurate (sometimes estimating 2x more than I've really burned!). If you eat these back it is very likely you are undoing your calorie deficit.

In my opinion, unless you are using a heart rate monitor, do not eat them back.

0% - 100% there's lots of room in between.

OP - Many people start by eating 50% back for a couple weeks. If weight loss continues as planned....there you go. If weight loss stalls - cut the percentage. If weight loss is faster (or you feel wiped out) - increase the percentage. This % will vary for individuals (in part) because there may be errors in logging food also.

Having a good idea of calorie burns (real ones) can help you during maintenance. Active people use more calories.

Heart rate monitors are great for steady state cardio...and not much else.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For what its worth, letting FitBit factor calories burned and synching that data to MFP (which I set on sedentary) and then hitting the MFP calorie allowance (sedentary calories plus exercise calories) worked fine for me.
  • PrincessLaiba
    PrincessLaiba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    maxit@ i also have a sedenatery lifestyle lets see how it works for me