High blood pressure back!

I had high blood pressure before and was on meds, the meds did not lower my bp much but did take away symptoms. After a year I stopped taking the pills and for some reason my high bp went down to almost normal, this stayed like this for almost 2 years but now 5 days ago back. It stays mostly lower when sitting unless I start thinking about it but when I get up it hits me same as before but as soon as I sit down less then 1 minute back down to high normal. Has this ever happened to a member or members and did you get it under control by diet or did you need pills. I really do not want pills but this feeling needs to go. Thanks for any and all help..

Replies

• twangster67
    twangster67 Posts: 8 Member
    Are you active? Or were you then stopped?
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    I was more active then now. Now not at all but started my new journey yesterday. I am also well over 400 pounds.
  • twangster67
    Both bp and cholesterol run in my family, and I just recently quit smoking..so hopefully my numbers will lower..keep me posted on your journey!! We all need all the help we can get!!
  • twangster67
    Also add me if u like
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited January 2016
    Blood pressure changes throughout the day and varies with the activities you're doing. They've measured weight lifters pressure at 400/200 (ish) during their lifts! If you're exercising and take it immediately after, it's going to be much higher than if you're just laying on the couch. When you measure your BP you're supposed to do it after you've been sitting quietly for a few minutes (anywhere fro 5-15 depending on who you're reading). You're also supposed to have your arm straight out in front of you but supported and your feet flat on the floor.

By measuring when you're sitting then again when you're standing you are not using the same criteria every time. Try keeping a record of your measurements every day at roughly the same time and after you've been sitting quietly for a few minutes. This will give you a better idea if you're high or not. I can change mine just by breathing deeply for a few minutes (because it calms me and lowers my BP) and then jump up and take it and it will read high.

And it goes without saying, if you're concerned about the numbers you're seeing then you should probably talk to your health care provider and not a bunch of random people on the internet. :smile:

ETA: Losing weight will almost certainly help but if you are running high now it would be wise to get it under some kind of control and monitor it as you reduce your weight. Exercising regularly helps regulate you BP too so if you're cleared for that then it would be a good idea to start.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    I should also say, I struggle with anxiety and my BP is one of my triggers so I understand how it can spike just from you getting anxious about it. The best thing I have done to control the anxiety in this area is to take control of my health and fitness. My BP is still challenging at times but I'm on the right track so hopefully I'll be able to continue managing it without intervention. I do track it regularly though and if I can't keep it managed then I will get medical intervention.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    its true, BP shifts based on activity but being active helps lower it without pills. I have adapted well without the pills and with weight reduction. Did you gain weight since 2 years ago?
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    First thanks very much knittnponder I have had anxiety for almost 20 years some days can not even go outside.

Yes I have gained over 100 pounds since I lost weight 2 years ago. This help is greatly appreciated.
  • Angel0298
    Angel0298 Posts: 25 Member
    Your no will be different in different positions because your heart has to pump the blood differently. You should consult a cardiologist and discuss this issue. There is also a factor of what your no is when it's high. You don't always have symptoms and there can be medical causes if there is a great fluctuation. Don't wait around. See a physician now. If you don't have a cardiologist then see your primary doctors and have him refer you to one.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Start logging so you can see how much sodium you are consuming. Print it out to show your doctor.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I finally went on bp meds in October of 2013 then after losing my excess weight and/or getting regular exercise ( mostly walking). I was taken off the meds in June of 2014 and have been fine. My husband who is quite thin, had high bp and was on meds for a few years and they didn't lower his bp. He tried a couple different kinds/doses to no avail
    so he quit taking them. He decided to walk about 3 miles a day on non golf days and now his bp is considerably lower without meds. Hope you get yours figured out.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Is there a chance that the machine you are using is off? How do you know it is accurate?
  • trublutopaz
    trublutopaz Posts: 70 Member
    This may sound odd, but have you tried meditation? A long time ago I took a self hypnosis course and it's about the same thing. I was able to lower my blood pressure through relaxation during a very difficult pregnancy. I am returning to meditation right now. My sister in law gave me a book for Christmas called "Natural Meditation" which doesn't get into all the spiritual stuff, but instead focuses on the techniques of centering one's focus and slowing down breathing which does in turn slow down heartbeat. It might be worth it to try.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    First thanks very much knittnponder I have had anxiety for almost 20 years some days can not even go outside.

Yes I have gained over 100 pounds since I lost weight 2 years ago. This help is greatly appreciated.

You need look no further for the answer as to why your BP has risen.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Happened to me. I lost 15lbs and it returned to normal but I gained it back and doctors won't leave me alone about it so I'm just gonna lose the weight again to shut them up. I refuse to go back on meds I has horrible side effects.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Reduce sodium (processed foods), increase potassium (99 mg/ 4 times/day).
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    I had high blood pressure before and was on meds, the meds did not lower my bp much but did take away symptoms. After a year I stopped taking the pills and for some reason my high bp went down to almost normal, this stayed like this for almost 2 years but now 5 days ago back. It stays mostly lower when sitting unless I start thinking about it but when I get up it hits me same as before but as soon as I sit down less then 1 minute back down to high normal. Has this ever happened to a member or members and did you get it under control by diet or did you need pills. I really do not want pills but this feeling needs to go. Thanks for any and all help..

What kinds of meds did you take? I have chronic high bp due to a nervous system issue. It has nothing to do with my weight, which is only at the higher end of normal.

I watch my salt intake and the only meds that have helped are ACE Inhibitors [Lisinopril]. I've tried calcium channel blockers and other things, which did not work.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    I have had high blood pressure for 34 years now. It first was high when I was pregnant for my daughter. It remained high now matter how much I weighed nor how much I exercised. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and face it. My mother had high blood pressure, and so did my grannys. I have taken meds ever since. Sometimes the dosage changes.
    I would rather take a pill, live as healthy as I can, than have a stroke or heart attack. I just wanted to put that out there. While weight does play a part in it, it's not always just about the weight.