intermittent fasting?

Options
Hey everyone I am trying to find some new methods to help kick start my weight loss. I have heard mixed things about this method. Has anyone tried Intermittent fasting before? If so did it work for you and what kind did you do?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IF is an eating style not a way to lose weight.

To lose weight you need a calorie deficit.
  • Harleyb87
    Harleyb87 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Well if your not eating for 16 hours at a time you going to end up taking in less calories unless you binge eat after you start eating.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My natural pattern is to skip breakfast and lunch most days. When dieting in the past I always stopped that and tried to eat 3-5 meals a day. This time I gave that up and eat all of my calories between around 3pm and 10pm. Usually have 1 meal and snacks. I love it. It doesn't do anything to lose weight but helps me keep to my calorie goal which allows me to lose.

• Harleyb87
    Options
    Well if it helps you stay on your calorie goal that it does help you lose weight! I am not looking for something magical that makes me lose weight without restricting my calories. The only time I've been able to really lose weight I had to skip meals to help me keep my calories lower. I kept my weight off for years after I lost over 200 pounds but since I turned 29 I have put on weight and I just want to get back down to my goal weight again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Harleyb87 wrote: »
    Well if it helps you stay on your calorie goal that it does help you lose weight! I am not looking for something magical that makes me lose weight without restricting my calories. The only time I've been able to really lose weight I had to skip meals to help me keep my calories lower. I kept my weight off for years after I lost over 200 pounds but since I turned 29 I have put on weight and I just want to get back down to my goal weight again.

Great, so try it, see how you get on. 10/14 is recommended for women.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast very often during weekdays and it helps me maintain my weight. When I want to lose I cut out alcohol and make a few other adjustments. That is the combination that works for me. You won't find a magic bullet, but this is one approach that may help you create a calorie deficit and still be happy. Try it and see if it works for you.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Is binge eating something you're going to do the rest of your life?
    If not, when are you going to switch to normal eating?
    How will you learn to eat normally then?
    Why not eat normally now?
    And no, binge eating or highly restrictive / complex eating schemes are not helpful.
    Here are a couple studies I found on PubMed. Feel free to search for more yourselves.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23244741
    Double trouble: restrained eaters do not eat less and feel worse
    "high levels of dietary restraint do not appear to reflect actual caloric restraint, it has been found to be a risk
    factor for a wide array of maladaptive eating patterns. ... restrained eaters do not eat less than they intend to do"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18325547
    "We examine the comfort food preferences and consumption patterns of women with highly versus less developed
    schemas for cognitive restraint, emotional and situational eating ... complex eating schemas weaken biological
    signals and produce maladaptive patterns... High schematics reported a lesser post-consumption increase in
    fullness than low schematics. Low schematics favoured low and high calorie foods equally, their choice motivated
    by pleasure and positive emotions."
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    As for how to "kick start your weight loss" ...
    The tried & true way is to eat fewer calories than you burn. In fact, however you achieve it, that's the only thing that works.

This is often done by increasing exercise (esp. weightlifting, because more muscle burns more calories, even at rest),
    and decreasing calorie consumption.

To keep a feeling of fullness while having fewer calories, have more low-energy-density foods and fewer
    high-energy-density foods. Increase vegetables, legumes, include whole grains & fruits, decrease high-fat foods
    and simple carbohydrates.

Here are some helpful posts to read.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819925/the-basics-dont-complicate-it/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • conscientiousintrovert
    Options
    I've been intermittent fasting for a couple weeks and have lost weight because it suits me to eat more at night. I'm busy during the day and can't really enjoy food, so I have coffee for breakfast, a light lunch, and a big dinner with snack (fruit and nuts) in the evening when I can relax. That way I'm not really restraining myself - I'm just only eating when I'm hungry and free to think about food.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Some people do swear by it for getting the last bit of stubborn fat to go away.

There are a few options for it. Some do a daily eating 'window' that is less than 8 hours (so about 16 hours of not eating each day). That's pretty easy because for most people it basically just involves skipping breakfast. Others do 1-2 days a week of not eating. The theory being that you can eat maintenance calories on the days you do eat, and still be running at a significant overall deficit.

Try out some options, see what works for you. The first week or so of switching to a fast can be rough, but after your body gets used to it it's quite easy. Also consider exercise. I didn't have many issues lifting while fasted, but high intensity cardio was rough. BCAAs can help if you'll be exercising while fasted.

• Harleyb87
    Options
    I dont binge eat anyways, thats not the issue. My issue is I have a slower metabolic rate and I have a insulin resistance so I have to eat fewer calories than most, this helps me.
  • Harleyb87
    Options
    rejectuf wrote: »
    Some people do swear by it for getting the last bit of stubborn fat to go away.

There are a few options for it. Some do a daily eating 'window' that is less than 8 hours (so about 16 hours of not eating each day). That's pretty easy because for most people it basically just involves skipping breakfast. Others do 1-2 days a week of not eating. The theory being that you can eat maintenance calories on the days you do eat, and still be running at a significant overall deficit.

Try out some options, see what works for you. The first week or so of switching to a fast can be rough, but after your body gets used to it it's quite easy. Also consider exercise. I didn't have many issues lifting while fasted, but high intensity cardio was rough. BCAAs can help if you'll be exercising while fasted.

Hey thanks! Yeah I do cardio and strength training at least 3 days a week usually 5.
  • Harleyb87
    Options
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As others have said, if your goal is to lose weight, any eating regimen will work just fine. Personally? I've been IF'ing and training fasted for over 5 years now (Leangains method) and I won't train/eat any other way. Worked great for me and my GF. Eating in the morning makes me sluggish and tired and I much rather eat 2-3 larger meals than 6 smaller meals.

This is just what worked for me... but everyone is different and you still have to watch your calories just like on any eating regimen. For me it was just easier when doing IF.

Give it a try, still watch/track your calories like any other normal eating regimen, then see how ya feel in a few weeks. It can take a few weeks for your bodies hormonal entrainment to get used to skipping breakfast. Some get a bit grumpy during the initial few weeks or feel lethargic. Black coffee or tea is great first thing in the morning to combat this.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ditch it if it's not working for your lifestyle. IF'ing is just one of a million ways to tackle your goals. Don't get tied to any one and be afraid to try something else. We're all different.
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting REALLY helped me control my appetite during my cut. After I was done losing weight I stopped using it.
  • Harleyb87
    Options
    Negative_X wrote: »
    As others have said, if your goal is to lose weight, any eating regimen will work just fine. Personally? I've been IF'ing and training fasted for over 5 years now (Leangains method) and I won't train/eat any other way. Worked great for me and my GF. Eating in the morning makes me sluggish and tired and I much rather eat 2-3 larger meals than 6 smaller meals.

This is just what worked for me... but everyone is different and you still have to watch your calories just like on any eating regimen. For me it was just easier when doing IF.

Give it a try, still watch/track your calories like any other normal eating regimen, then see how ya feel in a few weeks. It can take a few weeks for your bodies hormonal entrainment to get used to skipping breakfast. Some get a bit grumpy during the initial few weeks or feel lethargic. Black coffee or tea is great first thing in the morning to combat this.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ditch it if it's not working for your lifestyle. IF'ing is just one of a million ways to tackle your goals. Don't get tied to any one and be afraid to try something else. We're all different.

Thanks! Its worked for me in the past but that was years ago and recently Ive put on weight so Im going to try it again.
  • Harleyb87
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting REALLY helped me control my appetite during my cut. After I was done losing weight I stopped using it.

That was what I did in the past to lose weight and I stopped for about 4 years and maintained my weight for a long time. I think its really helpful to control appetite at least for me so far. Ive been doing it for about 2 weeks now.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I tried it once but stopped because hungry sucks. I get moody when I'm real hungry. I guess hangry is the slang term but it got overused on mfp and I hate that word now.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Try calorie cycling. My calorie for the week is 11555 as follows:

Sunday 1914
    Monday 1275
    Tuesday 1840
    Wednesday 1739
    Thursday 1275
    Friday 1695
    Saturday 1817

Try this site to get your numbers: www.freedieting.com

I find that I am not as hungry as when if I had to eat say, 1650 daily. Some days I am more hungry than others, this way it works out better for me.