Exercises during injury

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm a 31 year old and recently herniated my spinal disc at L5-S1. After visiting my doctor and chiropractor, they suggested plenty of bed rest with painkillers as needed and scheduled an MRI at the end of August to decide the next course of action.

It's been 2 months since the injury and until the MRI, I've been lying either on my back or stomach and feeling little pain. Standing and walking are manageable as long as it is only a couple of minutes but sitting is just out of the question.

As someone who's quite active, I'm growing extremely frustrated lying here with very limited exercising options!

Has anybody been in this situation and if so, how did you cope with it? Can you recommend any gentle exercises that wont anger my spine any more than it is?

Thanks!

Jenbeans

Replies

• iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I have no experience in this, but I've heard that swimming is very good for injuries because it is low impact & you are not jolted around much or have to resist lots of weight. I would say ask your doctor about possible exercises. Doctors often say "no exercise" but if you tell them you're used to working out a lot, they will be lenient & give you some options. Doctors do not want patients to gain weight because that tends to cause further complications.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    doctor question
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would suggest asking your doctor and your chiropractor
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    doctor question

This. Dont screw around with your spine.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Definitely you need to talk to a doctor about. Maybe see about a referral to a physical therapist?
  • yogayug
    yogayug Posts: 15
    Options
    I have no encounter in this, yet I've caught that swimming is extremely handy for wounds on the grounds that it is flat sway & you are not shocked around much or need to oppose heaps of weight. http://www.yogayug.com/