Plateau

Options
When did u hit your first weight loss Plateau? How much did u lose up to that point?

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Never

95069916.png
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My first plateau was only a few weeks, so I won't count that. The first serious plateau started after almost 10 months and about 20 lbs.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Never. Weight loss is math, and math always works.

I have a relatively small deficit (100-250 calories a day, so ~1-2 pounds a month), so normal water weight fluctuation can mask a lot of actual loss. I had a stomach bug back in October and didn't see a new low on the scale for 75 days after that. But that's not a plateau, because I hadn't lost 3 pounds of fat from being sick.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Never. Weight loss is math, and math always works.

+1
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    My first (and only) plateua hit when I stopped counting calories and exercising. Go figure! I'm getting back on track now, though.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This should go in here.

MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I struggled to lose once I got into a healthy weight range, after losing about 20 lbs. It's all math and cico though. I just realized there were some foods I wasn't weighing, especially at lunch and over the weekend. I tightened up my logging, shaved off 100 calories from my deficit during the week and added them to Saturday so I could enjoy the weekend-and was back on track.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I stopped losing weight for months and months and would be almost SMUG in the fact that I was going through a 'plateau' and this was why I wasn't losing anymore. I refused to accept it was because I had become very, very slack and wouldn't bother tracking my food and measuring my portions. This 'plateau' very quickly turned to consistent gains - week after week after week.

In reality, I have never plateau'd. There has ALWAYS been a significant reason as to why my weight loss stalled and that reason was primarily due to over-eating. As a poster above said, weight loss is math. Of course, there are medical and hormonal situations that can certainly effect it but it is what it is. Consume less calories than you burn and you will lose weight :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    every single time (EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.) I've hit a 'plateau', it was because i got lazy in my logging and activity levels.