What is your gym routine?

Options
nikki_dw
nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've recently gotten back into going to the gym but I've sticking to mostly cardio equipment. I'm curious as to what gym routines (in regard to cardio/weights) other people follow. My goal is lose fat (~30 pounds) and I'm a newbie to weight lifting.

Replies

• azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Day 1. Stretch; Strong lifts workout A; Stretch.

Day 2. Stretch; Run; Accessory lifts.

Day 3. Stretch; Strong lifts workout B; Stretch.

Day 4. Repeat day 2

Day 5. Start sequence again.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I do PHUL but I have also done SL 5x5 and Wendler's 5/3/1 in the past. I recommend either of those, and probably 5x5 even more, for a lifting program in a deficit. New Rules of Lifting for Women is also a great one, but for me-personally too much fluff.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I lift things. Heavy things. I've walked past the cardio equipment at the gym, that's as close to cardio as I get - if I want to expend more calories I lift more weights.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    nikki_dw wrote: »
    I've recently gotten back into going to the gym but I've sticking to mostly cardio equipment. I'm curious as to what gym routines (in regard to cardio/weights) other people follow.

I'm going to translate this as: "I want to start doing strength training, but i don't know what to do". If that's correct, follow a proven beginner's program, such as NROL4W, Stronglifts, a good personal trainer's plan, etc.

If i'm wrong and you're "just curious" what i do... i lift weights (self-designed program), some agility work, and some boxing. My goals do not include fat loss. But when i want to lose fat, i eat fewer calories. :+1:
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I use gym for classes, particularly power step classes (which I love), will do a 20 min hill climb on treadmill to warm up my knees. On days when I don't do bootcamp, pilates or step (over the holidays when they were off), I will do sone treadmill intervals & some tabata. I also do kettlercise (kettlebell workout).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Warm up, roll out any stiff or sore spots, loosen up my shoulders, hit my programmed sets reps and percentages, do my correctives, roll out.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    • 1.5 mile pacer treadmill run | 20min cross country | 20min intervals
    • Powerbag clean & press 8x3 (15-20kg)
    • 30s mountain climbers + 30s step ups + 30s side jumps
    • free weights - squats, OHD, deadlift, bench press
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally it means I'm about 6 miles from home as I run past the door...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    on weight days - 30-45 minutes of weights and about the same in cardio

non weight days - 15 minutes lighter weights (arms and back) and 45-60 minutes cardio

all days- anywhere from a 1.5-3 mile jog or walk, depending on weather and how im feeling lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I got The New Rules of Lifting for Women from the library, and while I liked the concept, because it took so much flipping back and forth to figure out just what exactly I was supposed to do for the first workout, ordered the author's latest book, Strong, and am going to do that.

Amazon reviewers of Strong say the layout is better than NROLW, and in the intro the author talks about taking reader feedback into account.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I lift things. Heavy things. I've walked past the cardio equipment at the gym, that's as close to cardio as I get - if I want to expend more calories I lift more weights.

Ya, indoor cardio bores me and I walk past the cardio machines at the gym as well. I hike in the woods at lunch and am not looking forward to getting snowed out. Although, I suppose I could steal my mother's snowshoes ;)
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I do Strong Lifts so there's just 2 workouts. I'm in and out in abour 30 min. Super simple, just about 3x a week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    nikki_dw wrote: »
    I've recently gotten back into going to the gym but I've sticking to mostly cardio equipment. I'm curious as to what gym routines (in regard to cardio/weights) other people follow. My goal is lose fat (~30 pounds) and I'm a newbie to weight lifting.

It depends a lot on what you like to do. My current routine is
    day 1 swim
    day 2 rest or pilates
    day 3 swim
    day 4 pilates or rest (opposite of 2)
    day 5 rest
    day 6 swim and pilates
    day 7 free weights - whole body

a year ago it was something like: 3 days whole body free weights, 3 days jog
    year before this: 2 days trx strength training, 2 days spin, 1 day zumba, 1 day run
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I .........
    Swim, learning, 5x30
    Rowing machine, weight warmup, 3x15
    All Pro, beginner weights 3x however long
    Yoga, 1x90
    30 Day Shred, low impact, 7x28. ( this is a challenge and I thought I would do it as I have no experience in this kind of home programme)

Find what you like and do that. Or do like I do and have a couple of basics to fall back on then experiment; it's more fun.

Cheers, h.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Jason Blaha's linear hypertrophy program for the past 3 months. But I'm switching to a lower/upper routine of my own design next week.
  • FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Currently on day 95 of Squat Everyday program. LOVE this program.
  • brianlundlarsen
    brianlundlarsen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing:

Monday: stronglifts
    Tuesday: easy/recovery run
    Wednesday: stronglifts
    Thuesday: tempo or interval run
    Friday: stronglifts
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: long run

• ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Get to the gym, put tons of plates on the squat rack, do a set, stand there for 5 minutes staring at my phone, wander off to do some curls leaving the plates on and go home. :wink:

Seriously though I do very similar things each day.

M-F(occasionally saturday): dynamic warmup, lift & ab work
    3-4x a week I'll add in cardio ranging from 10-15 minutes fast walk on incline treadmill to up to a slow jog 5k

I'm in and out in roughly 90 minutes every day. I don't like gym cardio so I don't focus on it much. Just enough to burn some calories and keep a modicum of cardiovascular health.

The breakdown of resistance/cardio will vary depending on your goals but IMO everyone should be doing at least a little of both.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    Just switched to 5/3/1, 4 day, boring but big accessory...so
    M - 5/3/1 Bench, 5x10 OHP, 5x10 pull-ups(still working my way up to this...currently more like 10, 8, 7, 5, 5)
    T - 5/3/1 Squat, 5x10 DL, ab work
    W - run
    R - 5/3/1 OHP, 5x10 Bench, 5x10 pull-ups
    F - 5/3/1 DL, 5x10 Squat, ab work
    S - run
    S - rest

I'm also starting an indoor soccer league next week, so I'll be doing that one night a weak.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I take Krav Maga classes 3 days/week. I am a general fitness enthusiast & regularly change my programs accordingly.
    Currently I'm working strength for OHP, front squats & pull-ups. I work all 3 lifts 3 days/week 3 on non-consecutive days. Day 1 front squat 6x3, OHP 5x5, pull-ups (shoulder width) 5x2 for power. Day 2 is pull-ups (shoulder width) 6x3, front squat 5x5, OHP 5x5 for power. Day 3 is OHP 6x3, pull-ups (parallel grip) 5x5, front squat 5x5 for power.
    I do 1 yoga class/week & sometimes join a step & Zumba class for fun as light off day activity.