No Soreness After Workouts?

Options
So I have started doing fitness classes lately, things such as step and combat...

The first time I did it I was sore for only a day ... Now I have done another 2 classes in 2 days and NO sorness at all?

I am not complaining but does this mean it is not working? I always hear people say if you are sore it means it is "working"

HALP!

Replies

• thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not a scientist but I think soreness is a sign of over-training....
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You lose some of the soreness when your muscles get used to being used.

I don't get as sore when I do a good warm-up and cool-down stretch. It also depends on WHAT I'm doing.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You aren't getting sore because your muscles have become accustomed to the level of effort you're putting in. Soreness is not an indicator of accomplishment, per say.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options

completely wrong, when you lift you are tearing apart your muscle fibers, of course they're going to be sore, they're healing.

As for not being sore from cardio, i don't think that's surprising. If i go run i'm not ever sore from it the next day, the only time i'm sore is if i do plyometrics or strength training.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You aren't getting sore because your muscles have become accustomed to the level of effort you're putting in. Soreness is not an indicator of accomplishment, per say.

He's absolutely right. Your muscles are now used to that particular exercise... you could either push yourself even harder than you thought possible... or even better, change up your exercise routine completely. This way your muscles don't form "memory". Maybe lift heavy weights tomorrow, hardcore. Or do some yoga. Or do long distance running and tons of push-ups and pull-ups. I guarantee that you'll be sore the following day because now your muscles are like, "WTF mate?!?!? What kind of NEW crap are you making me do???"

Switch up your routines every once in a while. It'll keep your body challenged and your muscles fresh and getting stronger in all sorts of ways (and at times, yes, you'll be a little sore).
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options

He's absolutely right. Your muscles are now used to that particular exercise... you could either push yourself even harder than you thought possible... or even better, change up your exercise routine completely. This way your muscles don't form "memory". Maybe lift heavy weights tomorrow, hardcore. Or do some yoga. Or do long distance running and tons of push-ups and pull-ups. I guarantee that you'll be sore the following day because now your muscles are like, "WTF mate?!?!? What kind of NEW crap are you making me do???"

Switch up your routines every once in a while. It'll keep your body challenged and your muscles fresh and getting stronger in all sorts of ways (and at times, yes, you'll be a little sore).

I get what you are saying but that is exactly what I did! Before classes I was just going on walks...Now I am making myself do all these different fitness classes aimed at different body parts and burning A LOT more calories than I ever have.

I am just confused :(
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I get what you are saying but that is exactly what I did! Before classes I was just going on walks...Now I am making myself do all these different fitness classes aimed at different body parts and burning A LOT more calories than I ever have.

Confused about what? You simply don't use soreness as an indicator of a successful workout. :flowerforyou:
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options

Confused about what? You simply don't use soreness as an indicator of a successful workout. :flowerforyou:

I guess you are right :) I mean I am still losing calories right? Ha ha. Okay that is enough worrying about nothing for a Friday :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

Soreness is not indicative of qorkout quality, but of the fact that your muscles are completely unused to a certain activity type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

When you repeat an activity you have done before, even if you are getting the same quality workout, your body has adadpted to prevent soreness. Don't let it worry you.
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options

completely wrong, when you lift you are tearing apart your muscle fibers, of course they're going to be sore, they're healing.

As for not being sore from cardio, i don't think that's surprising. If i go run i'm not ever sore from it the next day, the only time i'm sore is if i do plyometrics or strength training.

Soreness: Experiencing muscle soreness is a sign that micro-tears are occurring at the tissue level and that rest is required. Therefore, it is not the soreness itself that is a sign of overtraining, but the disregard of the demands of the body for rest that cause soreness to evolve into other problems, such as muscle pulls and strains. A sore muscle should be left alone to heal. Placing a demand upon it before it has recovered causes a deficit that cannot be recovered. The body will become injured if it has to, in order to received what it requires.