Under active Thyroid

Options
Hi all does anyone else have under active Thyroid?
I really struggle losing weight with this and wondered if anyone else is in the same boat as me?

Replies

• EngineerB
    EngineerB Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got it too. I have been taking levothyroxine for over a year now and it doesn't seem to help with weight loss. What does is drinking a lot of water and consuming caffiene. Also building muscle helps. All of these boost your matobolism.

I also have adult ADHD and take adderall. Adderall has the side effect of surpressing hunger, which has been a bad/good thing. It helps me from over eating but has also made me forget meals, which screw up my matobolism. It seems to be very easily effected and I can notice it by how sluggish I feel.

My best advice is to take medicine to counteract the low tsh. Also go to an endocronologist(sp?) in case tsh is not the only problem, and to take steps to boost your matobolism while also doing diet and exercise.
  • traceymurray1976
    traceymurray1976 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Wendy yes I also have under active thyroid. Up until the last few years I have been able to pretty much eat what I want and get away with it but now every calorie sticks and I'm getting more 'padded' as time elapses, despite the daily meds. It's rather annoying and I have to literally starve myself to lose weight. I also run 30 kms per week on average.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds since being diagnosed in June, and feel like the clock has been turned back 20 or 30 years. I'm pretty sure this is the best I've ever felt in my life, and I'm almost 53. I do worry that it won't last, though, but I'm going to enjoy every single minute for as long as it does. I know one thing for sure, and that is if I start feeling bad again I'm going to advocate for all I'm worth for thorough blood work and a medication adjustment. After years of feeling like crap I now know what it's like to feel good, and I won't let that go again without a fight.

@EngineerB -- Your post is a bit misleading. Hypothyroidism results in a high TSH, not a low one. I know it's confusing. High TSH = underactive thyroid, low TSH = overactive thyroid.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Feed your thyroid before you lose it. 1 ea Iodoral tablet daily.
  • momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 4 years ago, started my weight loss in April 2014 and am now down over 70 pounds. I am on armour thyroid, do weight lifting, lots of walking, and gluten free(messes with my stomach really badly). It's very possible to lose weight! Just make sure your levels are where they need to be
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yes. Been like this for a long time... First they tried me on synthetic levothyroxine. It was pretty much useless to me. switched me to Armour Thyroid, finally became able to lose weight with exercise and calorie restriction like everyone else. If your medication isn't doing the job, talk to the doctor about trying something else. There are various types of thyroid meds out there.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have it, along with PCOS. I've been on levothyroxine for 5 1/2 years, and it hasn't seemed to have made much of a difference at all. My test numbers show up normal now, but symptoms are still there in regards to energy lvels, hair, weight barely budging, etc.
  • melsinki
    melsinki Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    firead wrote: »
    I have it, along with PCOS. I've been on levothyroxine for 5 1/2 years, and it hasn't seemed to have made much of a difference at all. My test numbers show up normal now, but symptoms are still there in regards to energy lvels, hair, weight barely budging, etc.

I'm having the same problem. Apparantly my levels are normal. I am still sympomatic