Is this overkill?

Options
2»

Replies

• sandykaunisto
    sandykaunisto Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here is a question. Is this a quick fix or a lifestyle change? Then ask your self if you are willing to dedicate 2 hours of boring training on a tread mill for an extended period of time. Idk if you are in good shape but you could burn 600 calories easily in an hours and with what you are eating
    That could be the calorie deficit you need and even half the time for 300 calories. Just thinking good luck.
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am hoping I will have more energy once I have lost more weight, and more fat will be gone so exercise will be more comfortable. Once I get closer to goal, I might consider joining a basketball team or something.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you've got that much time to spend walking then seems find to me.

Definately have enough time, will just get out of bed earlier! Many people watch tv for more than 2 hours a day anyway, instead of having some sort of hobby. Its sad. But I need to exercise anyway.

You are fine. You can always set the treadmill to random hills if you have that feature.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Wouldn't walking for 2 hours a day in beautiful New Zealand be more wonderful than plodding mechanically on a treadmill?

Depends if you like walking in the burning sun or under the rain.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Wouldn't walking for 2 hours a day in beautiful New Zealand be more wonderful than plodding mechanically on a treadmill?

Depends if you like walking in the burning sun or under the rain.

Maybe I need google glass... then I could watch movies AND walk in the beautiful New Zealand... although I might get hit by a bus.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Strikes me as incredibly boring, hence probably unsustainable, but not harmful.

Watching movies and talking to your dad is boring?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Strikes me as incredibly boring, hence probably unsustainable, but not harmful.

Watching movies and talking to your dad is boring?

Two hours on a treadmill a day... Regardless of what distractions one might try, two hours on one of those things strikes me as a hideous experience. That said I can't put up with more then ten minutes on one.

fwiw watching a film isn't a distraction for me
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's overkill, a lot of people do cardio every or most days and strength train 3x per week. My only concern would be, like others said, 1-2 hours on a treadmill sounds awfully boring no matter what distraction you have.
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    much better then laying on the couch! go for it and if or when it gets old switch to something new. Plus, talk to your personal trainer, he/she sees you and how you progress and will suggest new avenues as you take this journey! Good luck and remember ANYTHING IS BETTER THEN NOTHING!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do both

i do the gym and strength training in the morning and jog a couple of miles at night.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That's a great place to start! Just be very in tune with what you feel to avoid burnout and boredom...and change it up when you feel the need. Don't get bummed out if it's too much in the beginning, do what you can and work your way up!
    I had the same idea a few years ago (treadmill while watching tv) and it worked fine, though I couldn't last more than an hour.
    Good luck!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Would you be watching TV that whole time anyway? Then, go for it! If something starts to hurt, cut back, or you'll sabotage your whole plan.

I often do an hour on my stationary bike watching movies, and I really enjoy it.
  • jlisa24
    jlisa24 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I agree, seems incredibly boring. If you havent already started this program, and you say you have a lot of weight to lose with low energy, i would set lower goals and raise them before becoming overwhelmed or discouraged. 3 days/wk cardio 2 days strength training, just my suggestion. If you work past that, add in more or harder cardio / change your routine / add in more days.

I think its a great and exciting thought but im not sure how long i could take doing that day after day / week.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    The point of the treadmill was to get my 10,000 steps. People usually get that from being active on and off all day. I mostly sit on my butt most of the day, and I don't neccessarily wish to change that (not at this stage anyway). I still kinda hate exercise.

It's better for your body to interact frequently with gravity rather than to do all your exercise at once and have prolonged periods of sitting. I too have a desk job, but I make a point of moving around during my workday. Can you get in some walking during breaks and at lunch?

I can't tell how long ago in 2015 you were getting 10,000 steps. If you are currently not getting very many, and you want to stick with your 1-2 hour plan, do work up to that amount.

@Francl27 how much time do you spend on your bike while watching TV?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    If you are happy doing that to get your steps in go for it. You can change up your routine at any time, you are not manacled to the treadmill. I would include some upper body work too. Even bicep curls etc while walking would work.

Cheers, h.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The point of the treadmill was to get my 10,000 steps. People usually get that from being active on and off all day. I mostly sit on my butt most of the day, and I don't neccessarily wish to change that (not at this stage anyway). I still kinda hate exercise.
    I can't tell how long ago in 2015 you were getting 10,000 steps.

I did 10,000 steps a day for several months, then stopped completely, then started up again, but just did it 3-5 times a week, getting between 8,000 and 13,000 steps a day. I didn't do much activity at all in December, but I don't think I've taken so long off that I need to start completely from scratch. Not with the walking anyway. I might have lost some of my strength training progress though.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem like overkill to me, and for time efficiency the treadmill could work out well. Compared to not moving, any time spent moving is usually a good thing.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    If anyone was wondering, I have just done 10,000 steps for the fourth day in a row :-) that is 40,000 since New Years! Imagine if I kept that up until the next New Years?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    If anyone was wondering, I have just done 10,000 steps for the fourth day in a row :-) that is 40,000 since New Years! Imagine if I kept that up until the next New Years?

t6hSkDI.jpg

• beautifulsparkles
    Options
    @Cherimoose haha, thanks