Different types of calories

Options
Good morning all. Just wondering how you all address the issue of counting calories using MFP. They are saying now that counting calories doesn't work but the type of calories you take in is the key. However, MFP seems mostly focused on overall calories. Plus, I find it challenging to document my calorie intake with a lot of my homemade food. If it is a store bought or restaurant food it is much easier since the program has a wide selection of these but if I make something from scratch, ex.-BBQ sauce, the amount of ingredients for the overall sauce vs. the amount I actually eat throws me off. Any comments or suggestions?

Replies

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    MFP has a recipe builder, you build the entire recipe then tell MFP what 1 serving of it is.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    if you burn more calories than you eat, you will lose, that's pretty much the secret. I try to make sure they are healthy nutritious calories rather than junk food but that's my current battle
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't count calories, instead I focus on macros. At the end of the day I'm controlling my intake, just like someone counting calories, but I'm more focused on the breakdown of my calories. I think playing around with your macro breakdown is a good way to tweak energy level, satiety, health, muscle retention etc, but weight loss primarily comes from eating less calories than you burn regardless of the source...

I make most of my food from scratch either by entering individual ingredients that I've weighed, or through the recipe builder.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Counting calories does work, but you also have to consider the nutrients those calories bring you. So if you have 500 cals to use for a meal for example, apportion them to protein, carbs, vegetables/fruits in a balanced way. Look at your macros listed at the bottom to make sure you are getting the nutrients you need IN the calories you take in.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. Just wondering how you all address the issue of counting calories using MFP. They are saying now that counting calories doesn't work but the type of calories you take in is the key. However, MFP seems mostly focused on overall calories......Any comments or suggestions?

A good read can be found HERE which helps one put things in perspective.

The equation or calculation of Calories In vs. Calories Out (CICO) will work to lose weight (deficit in the CI portion of the equation), to gain wait (surplus in the CI portion of the equation), and to maintain one's current weight (equality in the CI and CO portions of the equation).

• MilllieMoo
    MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I note all of the ingredients as they go into whatever I'm cooking, then divide it into portions.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder for homemade things. It's a great help.

I don't know what "they" say. I only know what worked for me. Which was counting my calories, trying to make sure I got enough protein and fiber along the way. Counting calories definitely does work.

57611793.png

This.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MilllieMoo wrote: »
    I note all of the ingredients as they go into whatever I'm cooking, then divide it into portions.

That is what the recipe builder does for you.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder has gotten a lot easier now that you just need to add in the recipe. You can specify what product you used in the recipe because one can of beans can be different than dry beans for instance. It then goes by servings. I've done a few things in the past. Like for sauces I would weight out the final product and list a serving by gram or oz. That way you can just weight it out for what you use. For instance your BBQ sauce when finished weights 252oz. but you use only 2oz. Recipe you have 252 servings and ate 2 servings.

Also eyeball volume. Your pan is a 2 quarts and you fill it half way, you have 4 cups and could break down serving sizes to your desire.

I found the recipe builder to be more accurate than eating out but I also follow recipes. If you have an "add a little this and now add a little that" you might find it harder to track but if you're persistent enough you can get it.
  • haweller2708
    haweller2708 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I will have to play with the the recipe builder. I appreciate all your input and support.
  • alishiamccarthy161
    Options
    I'm new to this app and I was wondering if it has =1,709 on the calorie calculator,does that mean it's good or not so good? If that makes sense
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this app and I was wondering if it has =1,709 on the calorie calculator,does that mean it's good or not so good? If that makes sense

All relative to how much of that recipe you eat and whether it fits your personal goals for the day. In general that's quite a large meal.

I could eat a 1700 calorie meal - and sometimes I will - but it would be nearly all I would eat that day. For others, this might be too much for them.
  • haweller2708
    haweller2708 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your post regarding counting calories by using imputing your own recipes. I tried it tonight and it is much easier then thought it would be. Great addition to my efforts.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Here's a table which explains the healthy macro ranges, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition:
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

So for someone with a calorie goal of 2000 per day, that would be
    50% carbs, 1000 cal, 250 g
    25% fat, 500 cal, 56g
    25% protein, 500 cal, 125 g
    (just to take the simplest example as a starting point; adjust for your own needs, to see where you feel best)