Gluten free

Options
laursed
laursed Posts: 73 Member
I just started Gluten Free. I am being tested for celiac next week, but either way i am going gluten free. its been 2 weeks, i feel a little better, but a lot of joint pain, seems like i have more energy and less bloating....Looking for people who are also eating gluten free, i noticed after 2 weeks, im already starting to get bored with what i am eating:-)

Replies

• runningonE5
    Options
    Hi! I went gluten free a few years back after a lot of medical issues came to light following a deployment to Iraq. I don't have Celiac's, just an intolerance that led to a lot of stomach issues and constant pain. I know that the switch can be slightly overwhelming. I have found that the best way to overcome that feeling of "man, I can't eat ANYTHING" is to switch to a clean eating lifestyle and just pack your meals FULL of veggies, fruits, and lean protein. I found that the less time and money (isn't that crap super expensive?!) I spent on "substitutions" the less I felt cheated out of something I loved. Do you like to cook? I found that the times I was bored with the diet was when I wasn't taking the time to put any effort into my meals. Salads and yogurts get super old super fast! Ironically, many of the tastiest cuisines like Mexican, Asian, Indian etc are actually naturally gluten free because they focus on corn and rice as their staple grains. I'm not sure where you are at either, but if there is a bakery, or a restaurant near you that serves fresh GF items, treat yourself to something once in a while from there. I used to hit up my fav stand at our farmer's market once a week for a fresh gf donut. I suck at baking, and double suck at baking GF items, so to get something that tasted yummy and "normal" was really nice!
    Feel free to write me back with any other help you might want with this lifestyle. I know I didn't share specific recipes at all yet, but am more than happy to if you would like! I hope your health continues to improve!
  • ellis222
    ellis222 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not gluten-free, but my autistic son has been for about 15 years. He has other allergies too and eats fairly plain meals though, so I'm not sure I can help with interesting meal recipes. But I've become a pretty good GF baker and I'd be happy to share tips, recipes, or whatever.

My son doesn't have celiac desease, just a severe intolerance to gluten and a few other things. Going on the diet made huge improvements in his health. All his digestive problems went away, his skin rashes cleared, and he became a lot less irritable. The switch was tough though, because noodles, yeast rolls, croissants, crackers, pretzels, cakes and cookies were his favorite foods. GF versions of those favorites (kept on hand in the freezer) made the change a little easier.

If you haven't discovered this yet, there are lots of great websites online devoted exclusively to GF cooking. I like this one: http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/

And when I want a GF version of any recipe, I just search it online by adding "gluten free" to the name. Usually multiple sites with GF recipes will come up. It's all so much easier now, 15 years ago just finding basic ingredients to bake with was hard.

The only thing that's still difficult is eating out in restaurants and packing-up food for vacations.
  • MeridianGirl
    MeridianGirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you look up any "Paleo" recipes or cookbooks you'll be good to go. They are all gluten free. Be careful about using too many pre-packaged gluten free products as most are made with rice flours which can spike your insulin levels.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just a word of advice - if you're eating gluten free prior to getting your testing done, your test may be less accurate. Bloodwork tests for celiac's looks for certain antibodies, and you won't be producing them if you're eating gluten free. I'm not sure if two weeks is enough to remove them from your system, but you should probably contact whoever's doing the test and ask just to be sure - you wouldn't to skew your results.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Gluten Free here too ... I try to stay away from all that processed stuff though ... I eat pretty clean, though I do like my wine on occasion. :)
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just started GF in Feb and feeling much better......did a cleanse first and when introducing foods back into my body noticed an intolerance to wheat and dairy (which is common to have both). I basically read every dang label before I buy anything and make my own muffins with oat flour instead of wheat (add blueberries and use almond milk instead of lactose). I will allow myself a bit of gluten if I'm out for supper at a friends house (don't want to insult the hostess if I'm not allergic) but for the most part I eat clean with a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, chicken, fish and lean meats. Haven't felt better in years and since Feb lost 27 lbs and eat lots of food as well as I enjoy wine esp. on weekends!! Start listening to your body and do what it says. Tune in to food reactions and how your tummy actually feels. Start walking or exercising and fuel your body with good foods to keep it running efficiently...you'll be so glad you did! Add me if you like for support....I'm still learning too :-)
  • Pvestin
    Pvestin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was having so much joint pain and had to resort to painkillers. I read that for some people gluten is an inflammatory and I figured I'd cut gluten to see what happens. And fortunately or unfortunately it seems to be the culprit. 1 month gf and no pain killers and pain greatly reduced. The first 2 weeks I did splurge and buy prepackaged foods to make the transition easier, but it is too expensive and not very tasty to be sustainable. I like baking when I have the time, and my daughters do too. There are great recipes and with all the gf flours on the market make it very easy to bake substitutions. My local bakery will bake gf on request. GF is NOT low calorie. If gf has helped me lose weight at all its only because at the store or the potluck I can't eat "that" so it doesn't get consumed. Interesting about dairy and gf. I've lactose intolerant all my life. Willing to substitute and experiment might be what is making my gf transition pretty easy. I went to a potluck recently and made sure what I brought I could eat so I am not sitting there starving.

Going out is when keeping it GF can be tough. Last night at a concert beers were bought and I had to turn mine down, but I love hard cider so again I did not feel deprived - but also way more calories than a light beer. We also had chicken wings and sweet potato fries. My husband questioned them on the wings making sure there was no breading but didn't ask on the fries. I told him that when he picked them up to confirm there was no flour used on the fries, and sure enough they use a flour based seasoning on them. Knowing we were going out last night I ate light all day so I'd have plenty of calories to use. With my limited choices I ended up with a huge calorie deficit. Oh well. :)

Last week at the grocery store in the gluten free section I found a display of locally milled gf flours and grains. i happened upon "brown teff". I had never heard of this before. It is supposed to be like malt o meal but more nutritionally dense. I'm making it this morning to try it out. I find it fun to try new things, even if they are a bust.

I second that you check if it is ok that you are going gf before the test. If I remember right it takes months for your intestine to heal, but as the op said, you don't want to skew the test.

Good luck. FR me if you wish and we can share gf recipes.
  • laursed
    laursed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips. I already had the blood test, it was inconclusive. I have naturally low level(cant remember the name) so it means any other celiac blood test will not be accurate. so on Wed i am having an upper endocopy, to get a biopsy of my small intestine. I did wait til after my blood test to go gluten free.
    I had some breaded chicken at a wedding this weekend...should have skipped it, but it was pasta or chicken, i tryed to cut off the breading:-) gurgly stomach all night and most of the next day:( lesson learned.
    I have been looking at different websites and have gotten some ideas, and i did see how gluten free is not very calorie friendly....a piece of rice bread is 100 per slice! no more toast for breakfast.
    never thought about checking with the local bakerys to see if they have gluten free! Its kind of fun searching for gluten free :) but going out to eat will definatly be a challange. I have been packing "snack bags" for me when ever i leave the house. gluten free crackers, almonds, craisin....
    Hoping for intolerance and not celiac.
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My son and I have celiac disease and our whole house is gluten free. Celiac.org is a great website, even if you're non-celiac gluten intollerant (from what I've heard, people with non-celiac gluten sensitivity often have worse symptoms, just not the long-term health risks).

I gained weight on the diet but I think that's because I had so much intestinal damage I wasn't absorbing fats. I was always skinny no matter what I ate. Now I'm not starving but I gain more easily.

I personally don't think the diet is hard. Just the social aspect sometimes, and people get nosy and pushy. Some things that help us:
    -We have a bread maker. I don't really like bread but my DH makes gf bread for the family. Millet, quinoa, almond flours...lots of healthy options besides the white rice flour in a lot of commercial products
    -Use vegetables instead of the carb wherever possible (chopped veggies for a stirfry instead of rice, though rice is obviously gf; lettuce wraps instead of bread)
    -Risotto is a great staple, very easy to make once you're used to it, though not very diet friendly
    -Try to let go of other rules if you can. Before my diagnosis I was really picky about how much meat I'd eat, red meat once a week, etc.; now I kind of figure nothing is as deadly as gluten so I'll eat as much burger or bacon as I need to to feel satisifiedv =)

Good luck!
  • megsybeth
    megsybeth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Forgot to say I love Pamela's artisinal flour blend. It's a good "cup for cup" flour for baking special dishes that you would normally make with wheat flour.
  • friloux88
    friloux88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ps. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't go GF till after your test... or you can get false readings. I'm celiac and they told me that when I got tested.

Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about getting bored by GF. I'd rather be bored than sick all the time. I'm not celiac, but I have gluten, egg and dairy sensitivities. I spent about a decade in the bathroom being sick all the time and not knowing why. And when I wasn't sick, I had intense anxiety waiting for the next episode to start up.

Now that I've made the changes, the difference is like night and day, and even though I've had to give up some of my favorite foods - anything with cheese! - it's well worth it. It took close to a month to get it all out of my system and really start to heal my digestive tract.

I'm a pasta freak, but there are tons of yummy GF pastas out there, and if you can find a decent recipe, you can even bake again. I've recently discovered a really delicious chocolate cake recipe that tastes and feels just like normal cake! Luckily, my local store has inexpensive GF pastas and flours in their bulk section. Buying them pre-packaged is crazy expensive. I wouldn't bother with most of the over-priced, processed GF products - like the breads and the frozen dinners and all that garbage. I just cook everything from scratch.

Good luck and enjoy the healing! :drinker:
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free for a few months and then dropped ALL grains. That was tough cuz I love quinoa. Giving up corn chips and tortillas was the hardest for this Texas gal. But my scale wasn't moving and I wanted to go high fat, low carb....so grains went out the window! I am fine now that I have found so many recipes with nut flours. I totally love OOPSIE BREAD. Google it. so simple to make and tastes delicious. even my hubby loves it. It only has 80 calories and 1 (or 2, I forget) carbs. It is cheap to make (uses eggs and cream cheese). There are lots of grain free recipes and also gluten free as others said. I never baked in my life. But I enjoy these tasty breads and cakes! Makes me feel like I am not on a DIET and I am losing and my a1c went from 6.2 ato 6.0 and my cholestrol went from 201 to 161. woohoo I feel great gluten free. I used to take claritin daily for seasonal allergies. Now I only need one every month or so! When I dropped the gluten, my other allergies pretty much disappeared. also, I was pretty gassy and burpy.....NOT anymore! Didn't have any testing done....just knew I had to really lower my carbs to lose and to help with my diabetes. Good Luck and dont be afraid to bake. Home made is way cheaper and tastier than packaged GF stuff.
  • knitwit0704
    knitwit0704 Posts: 376
    Options
    My mother (whom I cook for) is gluten-free because it helps her fibromyalgia.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    In the entire world of 7+ billion people between 5% and 10% of all people may suffer from a gluten sensitivity of some form. 3 million on the high end of estimates for the United States. I think the majority of them must be MFP users.

If you're diagnosed with CD, then the best be with you. If not just know that the cost of misdiagnosis is between $5,000 & $12,000 per year on average. Also, gluten free products are 24% more expensive on average.

It really is just the new red herring of weight control and health.

Best of luck
  • jenilla1
    Options
    ...I used to hit up my fav stand at our farmer's market once a week for a fresh gf donut...

My wildest fantasy! I'm gonna go google me a GF donut! :love:
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump for my friend.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    In the entire world of 7+ billion people between 5% and 10% of all people may suffer from a gluten sensitivity of some form. 3 million on the high end of estimates for the United States. I think the majority of them must be MFP users.

If you're diagnosed with CD, then the best be with you. If not just know that the cost of misdiagnosis is between $5,000 & $12,000 per year on average. Also, gluten free products are 24% more expensive on average.

Best of luck

Well, if 5-10% suffer, then 3 million in the U.S. would be on the low end, not the high end, since the U.S. population is not 30 million people, it's closer to 314 million. 10% of that would be 31 million.

For me, since my doctor put me on GF, I have saved money in no longer wasting it on useless medical care, not missing work, etc... I don't spend a lot on GF, because I don't buy a bunch of expensive, processed GF crap. Also, I save money because I am forced to cook most of my food from scratch. Believe it or not, it's cheaper that way.

There may be a ton of people on GF who really don't need to be. I guess it would look like a fad or a "red herring" to an outside observer. I don't think the "casual" GF "dieter" will last long. This lifestyle is inconvenient as hell. I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to.

I don't think most people go GF to lose weight. If they are, then they probably need to reevaluate their strategy. GF would work, but only if you're monitoring your calories, just like any other diet.

For me, I was already at my goal weight. I used MFP to maintain (when I was sick, sometimes it was hard to keep my weight up.) I went GF to stop a decades-long debilitating, chronic illness from destroying my life. If you haven't been there, or lived with someone who has gone through it, then you probably wouldn't understand.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Best of luck

I love you, and I agree that not everyone has a gluten sensitivity, and if you don't going gluten free is an unnecessary expense. However, when I was diagnosed with a sensitivity I called the doc a quack (to my hubs), I went on Atkins and when I reintroduced I called it a fluke, as a nursing mother I could not refute the pain and suffering my son went through every time I ate a yummy gluteny food. The diaper rash was heart breaking. If you ever experience such a thing (and I hope you don't) you'll take it more seriously too. I'd cut a ***** for giving my kid a crouton.