Options
2»

Replies

• foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options
    Raw Cashews
    Yogurt
    Dry Cereal - The heavy on whole grain types are best imo.

When I want something warm and quick I put a whole grain tortilla into my toaster oven with 1/4 cup 1% milk cheese, raw spinach leaves and some Sriracha hot sauce all over it. Probably not the healthiest or most nutritious thing but its delicious and quick and won't ruin your next meal. I put it on 350 for about 5 minutes, maybe less depending if your oven is newer and cooks better, lol. Just watch it, I like my tortillas to be soft and not crunchy. You could also do this in a non-stick frying pan with lid or microwave if in a real hurry and just fold it in half!
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    I politely call BS ...meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism ..you can eat one meal, six meals, 24 meals spaced out at one hour intervals, or four meals, and the impact on metabolism is zero....

if you at 1200 calories in six meals, or 1200 calories in one meal it is the same metabolic benefit...

Not really. Consuming a 1200 calorie meal at one time is ridiculous for ones metabolism. Maybe you have an amazing metabolism but most of us don't. That would make most people insulin levels and sugar go out of whack.

The diabetic way of consuming food is the healthiest.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Mini bellpepers stuffed with tuna/tuna salad.
  • foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options

I have to add... That sounds amazing and for how much I am obsessed with bell peppers I wish I would have thought of this! I'd add some onion, garlic powder, minced raw spinach and some hot sauce to the tuna too. Thanks for the idea!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I politely call BS ...meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism ..you can eat one meal, six meals, 24 meals spaced out at one hour intervals, or four meals, and the impact on metabolism is zero....

if you at 1200 calories in six meals, or 1200 calories in one meal it is the same metabolic benefit...

Not really. Consuming a 1200 calorie meal at one time is ridiculous for ones metabolism. Maybe you have an amazing metabolism but most of us don't. That would make most people insulin levels and sugar go out of whack.

its no less ridiculous then consuming 200 calories six times a day..

If you eat 200 calories you only get a small increase in metabolism that is based on a 200 cal meal..if you eat 1200 then you get an increase in metabolism that is equal to eating 1200 calories...so eating six meals or one meal at 1200 is the same benefit...

Please link me to the study that says eating 1200 is "ridiculous for ones metabolism"...if that where the case then how do people stay shredded on Intermittent Fasting and/or lean gains? I did lean gains 18/6 - 18 hour fast, six hour eating window - and lost about 1% body fat ....
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I have to add... That sounds amazing and for how much I am obsessed with bell peppers I wish I would have thought of this! I'd add some onion, garlic powder, minced raw spinach and some hot sauce to the tuna too. Thanks for the idea!

Glad you like it. I have to always make extra since my coworkers keep stealing them.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Blood sugar levels would remain more stable by consuming many small meals versus one giant meal. Stabilizing sugar helps stabilize mood and prevents hunger. Even if it does not have a vast metabolic benefit, a more steady consumption of food every few hours has other benefits. Also, for certain vitamins and minerals, your body can only absorb so much at a time...so a single giant meal could be providing nutrition that would end up going to waste.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Blood sugar levels would remain more stable by consuming many small meals versus one giant meal. Stabilizing sugar helps stabilize mood and prevents hunger. Even if it does not have a vast metabolic benefit, a more steady consumption of food every few hours has other benefits. Also, for certain vitamins and minerals, your body can only absorb so much at a time...so a single giant meal could be providing nutrition that would end up going to waste.

actually no ...here is a study from www.leangains.com

"The New Study: Greater Accuracy

The new study seeks to improve on the lacking methodology used in past studies. From the paper:

In contrast to previous research, this study used frequent blood sampling to track glucose and insulin concentrations to three and six subsequent nutrient ingestions.

OK, so let's look at how the study was conducted, what the results showed, and what we can take away from it all.

Method

The participants arrived to the laboratory fasted, after which baseline blood samples were taken. On three separate occasion, each participant was then fed the following 1500-kcal diets:

6 CHO: 65% carbs, 15% protein, 20% fat, split 250 kcal x 6.
    3 CHO: 65% carbs, 15% protein, 20% fat, split 500 kcal x 3.
    6 PRO: 35% carbs, 45% protein, 20% fat, split 250 kcal x 6.

Meals were taken in the form of liquids; carbs in the form of sucrose and corn syrup, protein in the form of soy protein. Fat came with the protein supplement. Certainly not "ideal" but liquid meals are standard in these types of experiments.

Meals were eaten every second hour starting at 7 A.M. for the 6-meal groups (6 CHO and 6 PRO) and every fourth hour starting at 7 A.M. for the 3-meal experiment (3 CHO). Blood samples were drawn every 15th minute during the study period (7 A.M. - 7 P.M). The results were added together and values for BG and insulin were then calculated to establish averages for each diet.

Results

Baseline (fasted) glucose and insulin values were similar across the three study days. Let's look at the average BG values for each diet-experiment.

6 CHO: 710.0 +-251.0 mmol/L*min
    3 CHO: 522.7 +-99.3 mmol/L*min
    6 PRO: 442 +- 121.0 mmol/L*min

The 6 CHO-experiment exhibited significantly higher BG values than the other groups. Despite identical carb and calorie-intakes, those who ate 6 meals had 30% higher blood sugar values than those who ate 3 meals. That's a rather striking difference considering the energy- and nutrient-matched condition.

The difference between 6 CHO compared to the high-protein experiment (6 PRO) was even more pronounced (60% higher), but this is not so strange considering the effect of protein on BG.

Insulin values were not significantly different between the CHO-groups and the PRO-group had the lowest values; again, this is not unexpected given that carbs are more insulinogenic than protein."

People who ate six meals a day had 30% HIGHER blood sugar values then those who ate 3 meals....
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Celery?

2144603404_358193224.gif
  • AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    celery
    peanut butter
    grapes
    apples
    hummus

bump for more ideas!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Homemade Hummus / Cucumbers to Dip
    Almonds (Blue Nature Usually)
    Turkey / Venison Jerky
    Fruit
    Ants on a Log (Celery/Peanut Butter (Almond Sub.)/Raisins or Diced Prunes)
    Apple Slices Wrapped in Turkey
    Bacon
  • Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    • Its summer so i ♥ fruit! The local farmers markets have amazing peaches, nectarines and plums right now! Cherries are also in season.
    • Jicama with lime and chili! (its the best ☺)
    • Popchips
    • Almond (especially love blue diamond coconut flavored ones right now)
    • Fudgesicles (40 cals each)
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options

I am pre diabetic so I need to be very careful! Thanks for your tip.
  • prgirl39
    Options
    snacks are overrated..just eat four big meals a day ....humans were not meant to be grazers..or so I say...

Unfortunately I cannot eat big meals because of my diabetes. I have to spread it out if not my body does not function well. I am not going to lie, my problem has been overeating and doing the big meals all the time 3 to 4 times a day to the point of my diagnosis. So far, spreading the meals and snacking has helped me personally. I am sure everyone is the same.

Thanks for your suggestions.
  • prgirl39
    Options
    Raw Cashews
    Yogurt
    Dry Cereal - The heavy on whole grain types are best imo.

When I want something warm and quick I put a whole grain tortilla into my toaster oven with 1/4 cup 1% milk cheese, raw spinach leaves and some Sriracha hot sauce all over it. Probably not the healthiest or most nutritious thing but its delicious and quick and won't ruin your next meal. I put it on 350 for about 5 minutes, maybe less depending if your oven is newer and cooks better, lol. Just watch it, I like my tortillas to be soft and not crunchy. You could also do this in a non-stick frying pan with lid or microwave if in a real hurry and just fold it in half!

Nice!! Will give it a try!
  • prgirl39
    Options

I recently tried stuffed bell peppers and loved them! Tuna sounds delicious. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am pre diabetic so I need to be very careful! Thanks for your tip.

if you read the study I posted you will see that people eating six meals a day actually had higher blood sugar levels then those that eat three meals....beach body chick never posted a study backing up her claim....I am actually still waiting...
  • IAteBethDitto
    IAteBethDitto Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I carry a 30g bag of special K in my handbag :) never know when I might get a little peckish ! hahaha

You know, that's a really good idea!