Leftover roast chicken ideas

Options
roasting a whole chicken today hoping to use it for lunches/dinners during the week. What do people do with leftover chicken apart from the chicken salad sandwich?

I'm thinking mixing some with some rice and veggies for a fried rice dish, also possibly some in a tomato sauce with pasta but would love some other suggestions :)

Replies

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Chicken enchiladas/tacos/burritos, chicken soup, all kinds of pasta dishes (Alfred, red sauce, etc.), stir fry, chicken pizza, chicken and eggs, chicken and rice casserole...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Generally do a Chinese Chicken stir fry with veg and rice
    Chicken sandwiches

But most importantly make stock with the carcass which you can eat as soup over rice or vermicelli you can make dumplings too and add back some of the chicken trimmings
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken noodle soup with some fresh veggies mixed in is a favorite of mine with left over chicken.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I make chicken noodle soup and chicken stir fry with mine, most often. Sometimes i make chicken chili or a casserole with chicken, rice, veggies, and homemade cream of celery soup (or cream of mushroom)
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Soup is a good call seeming winter has finally arrived here in the uk ^__^
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Add it to pasta, stir fries, risottos, fajitas, soup, curries, stews etc.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    Tacos would be a great way to use the meat. As for the carcass, make stock! Just put it in a large pot with water and any other veggie scraps you have (I save veggie scraps in the freezer for this reason) and simmer for 2-3 hours. Strain out and discard everything and freeze the stock in ice cube trays. Transfer to a freezer bag. Now you have homemade stock! I use it for so many things - cook wild rice in stock instead of water and you will never go back!

Why do you freeze in ice cube trays? Is that just to make it easier to portion out? I ask as I don't have ice cube trays but do have freezer bags I could pour into and freeze.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I mostly just eat it plain with various side dishes, like any other meat.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But most importantly make stock with the carcass which you can eat as soup over rice or vermicelli you can make dumplings too and add back some of the chicken trimmings

Yes, do this.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I mostly just eat it plain with various side dishes, like any other meat.

That's fine for one meal or two meals but I get bored after that and don't want to waste it. Also my New Years resolution is to take lunch to work every day rather than buying fatty pastys
  • lemurcat12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just change up the sides. I actually do the same thing for lunches quite often. I really love roasted chicken, though. I might also add it to a pasta dish for convenience or so a soup, like others have said.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    My chicken stock is so yummy I actually had some in a mug for my bedtime drink ^__^
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Options
    So chicken soup made today and portioned out for two lunches. I used this recepie http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickensoup_1918 and added some mushrooms.
  • AriesGal329
    AriesGal329 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I like to add roasted chicken to soup- and it doesn't have to be chicken soup. I add it to wonton, vegetable, and bean soups. It's also good on green salads. Of course, my dog gets some too :-)
  • jessieknh
    jessieknh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Chicken caesar wrap or salads, if I'm lazy I just throw some chicken, broccoli, brown rice and teriyaki sauce in a bowl.