Sharing: Frozen Meals That Don't Suck

Options
2»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    Could you not make too much of something you cook yourself and freeze it for another day?

Probably. I don't think that was the point, though.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Chezzie84 wrote: »
    Could you not make too much of something you cook yourself and freeze it for another day?

My right arm has been in a cast for the last 14 weeks, so frozen meals have been a godsend!

I like the Fit Kitchen entrees and Michael Angelo's turkey sausage lasagna and also the baked ziti with turkey meatballs.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like the healthy choice streamers (pineapple chicken and a few others), and i like the Boston market turkey medallions one. Sodium is pretty high but I'm okay with that. Frozen dinners come in handy when i only have an hour between work and classes and I'm at my friend's house 2 hours from home...life savers, otherwise I'd be eating out the whole time and feeling terrible too. Even a frozen dinner doesn't make me feel as terrible as fast food lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like the Amy's frozen dinners I've tried...enchiladas and some Indian food
    These are pretty much the only ones I can make myself eat.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any Amy's, especially the cheese enchiladas and Mexican casserole
    evol - I get the polenta with roasted vegetables, only 170 cals and good with a sandwich or chicken
    HC Steamers - General Tso or the Balsamic chicken
    Kashi - Mayan Harvest Bake is AWESOME!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Love these threads for ideas. I bought Amy's cheese enchiladas to try. I like Red's Natural Foods burritos. 270-290 calories. I bulk it up some with lettuce and Pace Picante Salsa - 10 calories for 2 tablespoons. I have been using Pace for salad dressing. I bought Red's rice bowls try this week.

I tried making my own frozen rice bowls but haven't gotten it right yet. Going to try again.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Totally agree about Amy's, and particularly the cheese enchiladas! Just about the entire Amy's line is very good, just more expensive than other brands and depending on the dish more calories as well.

I typically have Lean Cuisine for lunch, as for me personally having the bulk of my calories at dinner works best even though I've known people who don't like Lean Cuisines because they aren't filling enough. I like the spinach and cheese ravioli and the Vermont white cheddar mac and cheese the best. The garlic chicken spring rolls are also very good! I also like to get Smart Ones occasionally, lasagna florentine is by far my favorite of that brand.

As for larger dinners we also sometimes do the Michaelangelo Eggplant Parmesan. It's very tasty and if you're like us and within my calorie range for dinners.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Love amy's bowls. also the lean cuisine breakfast scrambles. . .with toast.
  • stefanyjoy
    stefanyjoy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have to have a lean cuisine pizza in the freezer at all times. Simply because I can't just have one slice of pizza and walk away. Pizza is my kryptonite. I have to have an individual size pizza to where there is no more after I eat it all. People can tsk tsk all they want about frozen dinners and the frankenfood that it is, but you just don't understand my unhealthy obsession with pizza. It is my heroin...
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Frozen entrees from Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine are fine for lunch, but I find them a little disappointing for dinner. Thanks to this thread, I've become aware of brands I didn't know about before. I love Indian food. Amy's Saag Paneer and Saffron Road's Lamb Saag are both wonderful. I just zap some frozen green veggies to fill out the plate.
  • Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Amy's frozen entrees are good -- I particularly like the Indian and Mexican food options and the vegetable lasagna (not their "Light & Lean" spinach lasagna, which I don't particularly care for). Red's frozen burritos are good too, along with their veggie burrito bowl. I'm not a vegetarian, but I find that I prefer vegetarian frozen options to most of the ones with meat in them.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is avoid lean cuisine pizzas. I had one last week. They used to be an almost okay replacement for higher cal pizza if you couldn't make your own. Now they are extra extra sad and taste like diet food yet still 380 calories. Something isn't right with the crust. I'd rather have a better frozen pizza that is actually not much higher calorie.

I like some of amys entrees in a pinch.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I like lean cuisine. They have some new ones like comfort food classics. I use them for quick lunches sometimes and try to have one or two on hand to make for myself if a high calorie or lazy dinner is happening so I have some options. There's not a single variety that I haven't liked!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work and I love Amy's burritos (their other meals are okay, but I don't like them as much as the burritos) and the Sweet Earth burritos. The Sweet Earth burritos have a lot of variety in terms of flavors.
  • moonagedaydream72
    moonagedaydream72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like the Lean Cuisine Chicken Parm. I will pick it up if I've forgotten to pack a lunch. Under 300 calories, satiating, and usually only $2.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    So I got some Amy's Cheese Enchiladas per recommendations here.

Very yummy. But when I picked them up I didn't read carefully enough to see that is was two servings in the package.

So that happened. :p

Still within my calorie goal, just might have done it differently if I had paid better attention.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like the Amy's enchilada with spanish rice and beans. It's about 300 calories, but it's SO good!! I also love amy's mushroom risotto.

I really dont like any of there stuff with cheese.

I know it's not a frozen meal, but i enjoy the D.r McDougal's Tortilla Soup and Annie Chun's Udon Noodles. Both you just add hot water to. :)
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    There's a Safeway/Vons store brand line called Eating Right that I love. Their chicken basil cream sauce linguine is 260 calories of frozen heaven.