Weight is up and I don't know why?

Options
My weight has for about a week been around 114.5-115 and I'm trying to lose weight. We drove out of town for a funeral so my meals were out at restaurants. I had a latte for breakfast. A grilled chicken salad with pita and hummus for lunch, and half a grilled chicken wrap with chips for dinner. I couldn't calculate calories since these restaurants aren't on MFP and don't have nutrition facts anywhere. My weight is up three pounds. Now I know this is unrealistic and it really isn't that high... But I was expecting it to stay about the same. Anyone know what could be the culprit? I thought I did decent food wise?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight.

Also, weight isn't stagnant.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Sodium = fluid retention probably. Daily weight can fluctuate for various reasons hormones, fluid retention, dehydration, rehydration...
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight from consuming extra sodium (restaurant foods are often sodium bombs), additional carbs than typical (especially if you typically eat lower carb), and possibly extra food in the GI tract or constipation (particularly if your fiber/fluid/fat/exercise intake was lower than normal). Three pounds is a very normal weight fluctuation.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ^^ that

chill out. you didnt gain 3 pounds in a weekend ;)
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates as much as 5 lbs in 24 hours, depending on weight of the food I've consumed, how quickly (or slowly) I am excreting waste, fluid retention, etc. The food you ate could not have been 10,800 calories more than your body needed for the day - so don't worry about it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Drink water to help your body get rid of all that sodium.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    She's 115lbs and she's trying to lose weight....you should be asking her how tall she is because unless she is under 5 feet she is probably at goal. It sounds like you should be working on toning your body instead of losing weight.
  • pbandz
    pbandz Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    She's 115lbs and she's trying to lose weight....you should be asking her how tall she is because unless she is under 5 feet she is probably at goal. It sounds like you should be working on toning your body instead of losing weight.

I'm 5'1".
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 lbs after thanksgiving because sodium & higher carbs than I was used to. It was gone a few days later. Drink water & watch your sodium.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Probably gremlins.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »

The OP asked for an opinion about her weight increase in just few days. She didn't ask for a lecture on how much she should weight. It is not of our business how tall she is, what kind of exercise she should be doing or if she is, or not, at her goal weight.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Maybe a teensy bit of fat gain and mostly water weight/food waste. Just about any restaurant meal will be loaded with sodium.

So extra carbs (depending on how you usually eat) + extra sodium + extra food waste from eating a touch more + possible dehydration = 3lb in water weight easily.

Give yourself at least a week to see what, if any, of this gain sticks around. Make sure you hydrate well, and try to stay at/under the sodium goal, too.

Odds are you'll see at least half of it drop off pretty quickly. :)

~Lyssa