I want to Cardio but.......

Options
2»

Replies

• kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I was the exact same way on the elliptical when I first started working out. You basically described me to a T. I would go for about 8 minutes, and felt like I was literally dying. The coughing afterwards especially sucked. I kept at it every day, upped how long I was on the elliptical by 1 minute every few days. Eventually, it got easier, and the coughing stopped. For me, it was just being extremely out of shape.

I have no medical conditions, no asthma, never smoked a day in my life. I think it's normal, or at least it was for me. Once I got in better shape, it all improved. Hope that helps :)
  • Rob_CJR
    Rob_CJR Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would see the doc just to be sure. Congrats on a healthy future! wishing you the best
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intervals? I'm not talking high intensity, but basically take a program like C25K, and instead of doing walk-run intervals, do walk-fast walk intervals. That should gradually build you up, and when you think you're ready you can try it with running.

Little story onthe side: I tried to run a fast kilometer today, and I went way too fast in the beginning, and thought my lungs would seize halfway through. Point is, I could have got the same time, going overall a bit slower, and not trying too hard.

Intervals will push you, but also teach you to pace yourself properly. Works on the elliptical too :happy:
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I have not seen a doctor about asthma or COPD because it's only when I over exert, and honestly because I don't want it. Lol

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get checked out to make sure.

This isn't stopping me at all, it's just slowing it down. Instead of working really hard and pushing harder, it's much slower. I can do Zumba but have to sit after 2 songs and relax then start back up because of the burning. I'm walking every day 20 minutes to 1.5 hours, depending on time allotments but I want to push, I want to get better, more endurance. It's a goal, something to achieve, something to work towards so I don't get bored... I guess I'll cave and get checked out. :(

Yes you need to go to the doctor. You need your heart and lungs checked out, even if it's only when you are doing what you consider to be over exerting. I hope you get the clearance and can just push on after, but you do need to get checked out. Good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    If the doctor gives you the all-clear, then it's a combination of getting in shape and thinking about your breathing. When people first start to do cardio, there is a tendency to breathe quickly and shallowly. This deprives the body of oxygen and can leave you feeling light headed, dizzy or out of breath. When you walk, focus on your breathing and make sure you continue to take deep, even breaths while you exert yourself. I had the same problem when I first started running, but deliberate breathing helped a great deal.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I understand people trying to err on the side of caution, but exercising isn't supposed to be easy. It's damn hard, and if you're out of shape, it will be hard to breathe, you won't be able to go for a long time. I think the constant doctor suggestions are a little out of place. Like I said in my other post, I had the EXACT same symptoms/ailments, and it does go away/get better as you get in better shape.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I understand people trying to err on the side of caution, but exercising isn't supposed to be easy. It's damn hard, and if you're out of shape, it will be hard to breathe, you won't be able to go for a long time. I think the constant doctor suggestions are a little out of place. Like I said in my other post, I had the EXACT same symptoms/ailments, and it does go away/get better as you get in better shape.

You are WAY off base. It is always a smart idea to get checked out by a doctor before beginning ANY new exercise program, especially if you are experiencing discomfort such as she suggests. She should be screened to make sure there is no underlying concern. You are giving irresponsible advice based on your own experience, not based on prevailing medical recommendations. There is no down side to getting checked out, so I am unsure why you would tell someone not to do it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    See a MD maybe you have exercise induced Asthma. Nothing a inhaler won't cure.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I would go to the Dr and get checked out for asthma or allergies maybe also cuz this time of yr there is alot of allergy stuff in the air going on. I have mild asthma and I know way bk in highschool I had a hard time breathing after running the track and stuff but I've been using an inhaler ever since and now my asthma is very mild and I only need it pretty much 2 puffs twice a day. I would start either with something you enjoy alot maybe dancing or something like that or maybe even just walking and walking a little bit further every day. when your body gets used to it and a bit stronger than try the machines and stuff again and you might be surprised how much longer you can go just with an inhaler and working your way up to it.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options

You are WAY off base. It is always a smart idea to get checked out by a doctor before beginning ANY new exercise program, especially if you are experiencing discomfort such as she suggests. She should be screened to make sure there is no underlying concern. You are giving irresponsible advice based on your own experience, not based on prevailing medical recommendations. There is no down side to getting checked out, so I am unsure why you would tell someone not to do it.

Agreed. It can't hurt anything to get it checked, and you don't want to find out you do have a problem by falling off some equipment or passing out. There is a difference between feeling winded and feeling like you are going to pass out.