Alcohol n weight loss? Lets be real here.

Options

Replies

• doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    When I was losing, I saved my workout calories for the weekend fun. I don't drink during the week.
  • Elby0030
    Elby0030 Posts: 32
    Options
    i just smash beers when i need to, dont write it in the diary and just pretend like it never happened. im not saying this is good, or it works :) but its what i do
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I work it in to my daily calorie allowance. When I go out I drink Jack Daniels. Works for me :drinker:
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Good workouts = a couple good beers per week. I'm not in to light beers, or hard alcohol unless I'm really letting loose. I'd rather drink once a week and really enjoy it than drink crap every night. If I can fit in a Mickey's 40oz... I think every one else can work their calories around a couple beers! haha :laugh:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle of wine maybe twice a month. Sometimes that means a couple glasses over a few days, sometimes it means many glasses one night and one or two the next. I'm not super strict about how often I open a bottle. Sometimes it's two weeks in a row, sometimes I go a month or two with no wine. I just have it when I'm in the mood and have the calories for it.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have a shot of bourbon occasionally...fit within my planned calorie intake.

8488541.png
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I try to limit myself to a glass of red or white wine a couple nights a week and work it into my daily calorie count. When I go out with friends on the weekend I stick to vodka and water with a lemon or a lime, or vodka and club soda w/lime/lemon/orange. It's a drink that I end up sipping rather than guzzling like I do if I drink a jack and diet coke or something with soda to cover up the alcohol. A

Also on a recent camping trip I took Miller 64s and I had a nice buzz and was the only person in my big group of friends to wake up feeling great the next morning. I love craft beers so this was a big change, but worth it. I brought cut lemons and limes to flavor up the beer. I never felt like I was missing out and I didn't double up on beers just b/c they were light. I figure I saved a couple thousand calories compared to my friends over the course of the weekend.
  • tessiebear40
    tessiebear40 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine almost every day. I want a diet that suits me for good. I like my wine so I workout more and I log it. Life is far too short to cut out what we enjoy:drinker: .
  • tessiebear40
    Options
    i just smash beers when i need to, dont write it in the diary and just pretend like it never happened. im not saying this is good, or it works :) but its what i do
  • tessiebear40
    Options
    LMAO
  • robinjjordan
    Options
    idk the weird thing is i used to be an alcoholic and am in recovery now i know nothing bout a few drinks here and there for weight loss but when i was an alcoholic i was skinny when i stopped i gained alot of weight idk why i always thought it was cuz alcohol fills u up so u barely eat and liquid calories go away quicker than solids. any1 else know why some alcoholics r skinny and gain weight when they stop? i'm curious
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

:drinker: This is how I have been doing it so far as well.

I am not a daily drinker, but once a month (maybe not even), I usually meet up with some friends and we get our rockstar on. I don't even want to imagine how many cals I put back - I certainly don't count...or quickly lose count :laugh:

I know I will have to keep reassessing as I continue to lose weight and my BMR/TDEE naturally lowers, but the odd drinking night hasn't hurt me enough to stall out ...and helps keep me sane.
  • Stacebob85
    Stacebob85 Posts: 95
    Options
    I do 3 things; if I'm out for a long night or big party (particularly if it's my own birthday celebrations and therefore want to have a few alcoholic treats), I try to do the following:
    1. Do a bit more exercise the previous day, that day (if possible) and the following day to give me a little leeway for boozing
    2. Do the alternating method; have one boozy drink alternated with one low-cal non-alcoholic bevvy and try to nurse the non-alcy one so you don't have as many drinks in total
    3. Carry a low-cal snack with you, so that if you hit that point in the night where you get the booze-munchies, you don't end up hitting the fast food joints

I also recommend swapping higher-cal drinks for lower-cal ones (gin is quite good, I think), or, if you really like the higher calorie stuff like wine, spritzer it with diet lemonade or low-cal soda water. Then you still get your wine kick but with fewer calories.

But maybe you shouldn't pay attention to me, cos when it comes to booze I often just go nuts then draw a line under it the next day and climb back on the healthy horse :P
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I drink wine because I like wine. I was drank before I got fat, so I know it is not the alcohol that made me fat.
  • getrealforme
    Options
    I have 2 lite wine coolers every night. They fit into my daily/weekly calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I fit it into my calorie goal....
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's not doing me any harm - I just factor them into my calorie allowance for the day and don't go mad. If I go over allowance, I never go over TDEE, so no harm.
  • georgann1114
    georgann1114 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I believe you can enjoy everything in moderation. I enjoy beer LOL but I eat clean (most of the time) and exercise daily. What good is it if you can't enjoy life :) I have lost almost 25 pounds and have not given up beer (probably what keeps me sane too)
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wachusetts Light IPA. 121 Cal, tons of taste.

Other than that, I still drink on the weekends/camping, generally rum with diet ginger beer or Craft IPA (Heady Topper for example). I find that going through this lifestyle change journey that my tolerance for booze is getting lower and lower, and I'm OK with that.
  • Fabfitgirl5
    Fabfitgirl5 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a wine drinker, I hate beer and hard liquor- unless the hard liquor is in a mixed drink. So to avoid those I do wine. However, I don't drink the wine straight, most times. I actually do a white wine spritzer, half wine half soda water. If you use the right kind of wine Chardonnay or Reisling, it is actually quite good. I will say that a bartender needs to know how to make one of these to make it right. It is generally low in calories under 100 (usually between 90-96) because the water cuts the wine and any sugar content of the wine.

Great Drink. Works for me.