Digestive issues after diet change

Options
Has anyone experienced digestive issues after switching to a healthier diet? I've been experiencing horrible stomach cramps and other issues since I started eating healthier. I don't know what is causing it. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Too much fiber?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It's probably an increase in fiber. Make sure you're getting fats in your diet and drinking enough water.
  • CyndyLeeForFreedom
    CyndyLeeForFreedom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If your food intake has decreased, your system may slow down causing problems with constipation and belly pain.
  • aalixandruh
    aalixandruh Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I seem to get the stomac cramps after I drink the smoothies I make. I put yogurt, almond milk, bananas, strawberries, kale, and spinach in them.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I seem to get the stomac cramps after I drink the smoothies I make. I put yogurt, almond milk, bananas, strawberries, kale, and spinach in them.

depending on the amounts of each... that could easily be too much fiber.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data. Define "Healthier Diet".....
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I got wicked stopped up after I started cutting calories. Could have been the reduction in fat or the sudden drop in digestive activity. It sorted itself out eventually.
  • aalixandruh
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

depending on the amounts of each... that could easily be too much fiber.

I usually do half a banana, four strawberries, one stalk of kale, a small handful of spinach, 6 oz of yogurt, and probably about a half cup of almond milk.
  • aalixandruh
    Options
    If it's a fiber issue, it's more the change from your previous amount to the new amount that makes the difference. It's not that it's actually too much fiber in general. Your body does get used to fiber amounts, but in the meantime as suggested, make sure your fats are enough and also be sure to drink plenty of fluids.

Were you using almond milk before or did you used to eat them before starting this? The reason I ask is that Almond allergies are common. I've been tested allergic to them. I don't notice the odd almond here or there, but I imagine a bunch of almond milk would mess my stomach up.

That's all I can think of.

I don't think it's an almond issue. I haven't made smoothies too often in the past but I used to take small baggies of almonds to work because they fill be up. How much fat intake would I need compared to fiber intake?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    In addition to potential almond allergies, some people have a sensitivity to carrageenan, which is in many nut milks. If your use of almond milk is new, you might be having a reaction to that.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    21 days straight of eating salad had me confirm lettuce allergy.
    something obv doesnt agree so cut shake out and re- introduce 1 item at a time.
    unlikely to be too much fibre imo.i
    unless you have ibs or diverticulitis?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How many grams of fat a day do you get?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's actually very common to get stomach cramps after starting smoothies.

I've been eating tons of vegetables for as long as I can remember and I got stomach cramps the first few days I had smoothies.

There are blog posts out there addressing it.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    For those of you who have mentioned fat - I had no idea that not getting enough fat might contribute to digestive issues. How do you determine how much fat you should minimally ingest (strictly for health purposes - not satiety)? What kind of digestive issues can a deficiency contribute to?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    For those of you who have mentioned fat - I had no idea that not getting enough fat might contribute to digestive issues. How do you determine how much fat you should minimally ingest (strictly for health purposes - not satiety)? What kind of digestive issues can a deficiency contribute to?

@veganbaum I think the general suggestion is a minimum of 15% of your calories should come from fat. That may not be enough for some people. Dietary fat is important for metabolic processes, brain development, controlling inflammation, and even aids in blood clotting. Fat also helps you absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    veganbaum wrote: »

@veganbaum I think the general suggestion is a minimum of 15% of your calories should come from fat. That may not be enough for some people. Dietary fat is important for metabolic processes, brain development, controlling inflammation, and even aids in blood clotting. Fat also helps you absorb vitamins A, D, E, and K.

To add, it keeps things moving. I'm not sure how much is needed, it may be individual. But constipation is not uncommon in those who cut fat intake drastically. Conversely, those who have a lower intake level who suddenly increase it often experience the opposite effect.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Thanks all for the information. I was aware it's important not to cut your fat too low for things like absorption, but wasn't aware it may affect digestion.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You might also experiment with the yogurt you're using. After a serious intestinal infection, my internist advised me to eat more probiotic-rich foods to re-establish and keep my gut colonies. She recommended yogurt or kefir, but also cautioned me to experiment because different brands use different cultures that can be upsetting-- particularly for someone who had an infection like mine or a radical change in diet.

I find I tolerate kefir better than most yogurt--and I just like it better.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Has anyone experienced digestive issues after switching to a healthier diet? I've been experiencing horrible stomach cramps and other issues since I started eating healthier. I don't know what is causing it. Has anyone else experienced this?

How long has it been? How much did you increase your non-starchy veggies? I had this happen too when I first started. It takes a little time for your digestive system to adjust, so either cut down on the veggies and fiber and re-introduce them a little slower or live with it. For me, it only took about 4 days and everything was fine. I didn't get much in the way of cramping though, just loose stools which didn't bother me as long as I could stay reasonably close to a bathroom.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Also, if you get stopped up, you might want to increase your water intake in addition to making sure you get enough fat. Actually, increasing water intake is also good if you are having the opposite issues. Loose stools means more water is going into your intestines so you may not have enough for your other body systems.