Mason Jar Recipes

Options
littlebatgirl
littlebatgirl Posts: 24 Member
I know some people are against the Mason Jar idea, && think it's silly, but I have to get up early in the morning so I love the idea of meal prepping lots of jars at once for work lunches and snacks. Do you all have any recipes to share?

Just finished my first today actually! Chickpea salads. Awesome ingredients. Awesome nutrition info too. I have two other recipes I will be stuffing into Mason Jars today. (Overnight Oatmeals in different flavors, && a Black Bean/Peppers/Cilantro/Lime combination.) Let me know if you want the recipes. Looking forward to an easy healthy week!

pcqksthpl4cx.jpg

fa6reayllntn.jpg

Replies

• Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    "Against" mason jar recipes? Like .... as a belief system? What could be bad?

I make my lunch as far in advance as possible, too. Haven't done mason jars in a while, but when I did, I would fill five jars with a tsp of olive oil and a little salt. I'd start the salad with chopped cucumbers and half grape tomatoes, then add ingredients that are progressively dryer (including beans) until I got to the lettuce at the top. Over time, the cukes would marinate a bit in the olive oil and salt, and I'd have more "fluid" to coat the rest of the salad in. Most salad dressings are too high in sodium for my low-sodium diet, so this worked fine for me.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I love mason jar prep. Sister was hesitant for fear she would break a jar. But I love making yogurt with toppings for breakfast, soup and salads for lunch and hummus/veggies or cheese/fruit/nuts for snacks. Here are some things I have tried.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/12/peachy-crisp-yogurt-jar.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/09/recycle-tip-fruit-cups-mason-jars.html

Mason%2BJar%2BPrep%2Bwith%2BFruit%2BCups.jpg
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Love this idea!
  • Irish1951
    Irish1951 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like the idea too. How long do they last without the lettuce going brown on he edges?
  • phillipctx
    phillipctx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love mason jars! Just prepped my mason jar salad for lunch tomorrow but I usually try to prep a bunch on the weekend. Tomorrow's lunch is a southwest salad with a chipotle dressing, cucumbers, sweet peppers, tomatoes, shredded pork carnitas, and lettuce. Haven't tried the oatmeal yet, does it have a good texture/consistency?
  • littlebatgirl
    littlebatgirl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any jars start to go bad on me yet, && I make three at a time of one flavor.
    So if I'm making two flavors, that's six at a time, none are going bad.

The salad ones are AWESOME. (I used chickpeas, lemon, kale, etc, see above picture)
    I made the southwest ones and they were awesome as well. (Black Beans, Corn, Lime, etc)

My first oatmeal one though, needed work.
    I ended up drinking it and it was yummy!
    I just think the consistency was off. Obvi. If I drank it. Lol.

Probably my fault, think I added too much unsweetened applesauce.
    (It was an apple cinnamon oatmeal jar.)
    I'm going to try to make more/diff flavors of the oatmeal on Sunday.

Keep the ideas coming guys!! <3
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Had to share another mason jar idea. The Domestic Geek just made 5 instant soup cups in mason jars. They look so good! https://youtube.com/watch?v=iHZ2G8TwTwY