C2K Anyone?

Options
xonophone
xonophone Posts: 474 Member
I used to run... Well OK, not run exactly, but jog 2-3 miles a few times a week to supplement my workouts. Flat feet in improper footwear eventually took it's toll, and my poor knees haven't tolerated jogging for many years. But this is a new year full of new beginnings on multiple levels, and I would like to get back onto it again, just to see if I can! Who's with me?

Replies

• audreygardner65
    audreygardner65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to run 3-4 times a week. I must be the slowest runner ever but it's not how fast or even how far you run, it's being out there, isn't it?!
    Anyway, I would love to get back k to my running again.
    I'm planning on doing a couple of short runs (2-3) miles and then pick up the slack with 3 long walks (5-7) miles a week.
    Would be great to have a buddy to keep me going.
    Audrey
  • xonophone
    Options
    Great, Audrey! I will be jogging on a treadmill, now that there is snow and ice on the ground, and doing stationary cycling in between the running days, to prepare for the Tour de Cure in early June. I downloaded an app to keep track of my progress with the C2K program. If we start now, we should be in good shape by spring!

Magdalene
  • pplf2001
    pplf2001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join you. Started and stopped C25K twice in the last few months - first because of knee issues second because I got busy. Might not be able to restart until this weekend though!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can check out this group
  • xonophone
    Options
    Thanks Moyer556.... I looked to see if a discussion had been started already but didn't see that group.

Welcome pplf2001! I totally understand knee issues. I'm going to also strength train my legs which should help. I'm hopeful that the gradual progression of the walk/run program will also help.

I did day one yesterday, and About halfway through my knees started to talk to me, so I slowed down the speeds, and focused on softer landings which helped. Today I am pain free!
  • XanthePersephone
    XanthePersephone Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've started the regimen before but only got to week three or four. After a short spell of not running I started up again with less directionand vigor but I've been slacking. I think it's time for concerted effort again. I'd love having company with that - also stuck inside on a treadmill
    thanks to this weather.
  • xonophone
    Options
    Great XanthePersephone!

I'm heading to the gym today and excited to do day 2!
  • 46carmen
    46carmen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I try to do three 5ks a year. I go to the gym 4 days a week. On Mondays and Wednesdays, after I do a class, I go on the treadmill for about 30 minutes. I do 5 minutes warm up, 17 minutes run, 5 minutes incline and 5 minutes cool down. Sometime in March, the gym has a weekly class for a summer 5k. I'm not a fast runner. My time has been 40-45 minutes. I would like to keep the motivation going along with weight loss.