Measuring pasta - do you do it dry or wet?

Options
What is the nutrition table referring to? The pasta as is, or after it's been cooked? Thanks!

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The label should tell you - and it may well differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    dry
  • cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I never can tell from the box, maybe I'm just blind. But when it says two ounces I'm never sure if it's cooked or not. Dry makes sense though.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It's dry. I think it says it on the package.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Why would you think you would weigh it wet?
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I too would think dry, if it was post cooking the count would be off as different ways of cooking are going to mean that the calories would not be accurate otherwise.

I think pasta, dried cereal and beans are best weighed prior to cooking just as a by the by.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You weight all pasta dry, unless it's something like mac and cheese and the box says the serving size is for the prepared version.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I measure my spaghetti boiled in a measuring cup. I tested 2 oz dry, boiled it, and measured it. It was a generous cup full so I decided to just measure it after boiling from that point forward.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I measure my spaghetti boiled in a measuring cup. I tested 2 oz dry, boiled it, and measured it. It was a generous cup full so I decided to just measure it after boiling from that point forward.

I run into this problem often, as when I make pasta I make for the family. Although I measure 2oz per serving dry, its hard to tell what wet converts to especially when I am measuring my portion. I use a cup too.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I weigh my pasta on the food scale. Cups are less accurate.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I weigh my pasta on the food scale. Cups are less accurate.

Sorry, 8 ozs.

• cpalumbo89
    cpalumbo89 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I use a good scale so I'll measure it before I cook it.